Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:19:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's your favourite Clash song?

Started by kalowski, September 18, 2021, 06:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

I think it has to be Clash City Rockers.

kalowski

Although it does mention Gary Glitter so probably banned nowadays.

DrGreggles

Glyn

Complete Control is pretty close to being perfect I'd say

Flouncer

It's really hard to choose to be honest... But I proper love this little cluster of songs from side four of Sandinista!

• The Equaliser
  • The Call Up
  • Washington Bullets
  • Broadway

I think that bit of the album brings together everything I love about The Clash. Just perfect.

Video Game Fan 2000

Norton Canes

Dr Rock

Magnificent Dance
Robber Dub
Guns of Brixton

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Glyn on September 18, 2021, 06:46:22 PM

Yes, it is and it is.

sevendaughters

love the live version of Guns of Brixton from From Here To Eternity.

Kankurette

Rock the Casbah, but if it's too obvious, then White Man in Hammersmith Palais.

SpiderChrist

Like trying to name my favourite Beatles tune. Can't do it. If push came to shove it's probably Washington Bullets. Or Complete Control. Or

kalowski

Quote from: Glyn on September 18, 2021, 06:46:22 PM
This could be correct.

kalowski

Also worth noting just how good London Calling is.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: kalowski on September 18, 2021, 08:07:09 PM
Also worth noting just how good London Calling is.

London Calling. A brilliant record and apparently inspired by the Darth Vader Imperial March theme.

kngen

Another vote for Complete Control being the ne plus ultra.

The live version on that cobbled-together cash-in live album makes its existence worthwhile on its own.

The Culture Bunker

Feels like I haven't listened to the Clash in years. But to pick one today, I'll go with 'Something About England'.

McChesney Duntz

I read the thread title and "Somebody Got Murdered" starts playing on my cranial jukebox. Not saying that it's the best, but my earworms don't lie.

non capisco

My head says 'Complete Control', my heart says that live version of 'The Magnificent Seven' where Joe fucks about for ages going "I know this song is...twenty minutes long is...I know this song is fuckin long....mumamumamumamuma, mumamumamuma, ma-oo-ahhhhhhhhhh", it goes into 'Armagideon Time' and then back into 'The Magnificent Seven' again. That version has always filled me with joy.

I'll give a shout out to 'Know Your Rights' for being one of the best album openers in the history of recorded music. That thing comes hurtling out of the trap beautifully.

Kankurette

Underrated Clash song: Ghetto Defendant. If only because it has Allen Ginsberg on it.

samadriel

Jockice

Train In Vain or Complete Control. Or Magnificent Seven. Or about 20 others.  Great, weren't they?

buttgammon

Complete Control is one of my favourite songs of all time. I've listened to it thousands of times but the bridge still sends a shiver down my spine every time.

Other favourites: Train in Vain, Safe European Home, Clampdown, Straight to Hell.

There are certain things about them that never get old, especially Joe Strummer's weird noises and interjections and Mick Jones's harmony vocals.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Kankurette on September 18, 2021, 07:28:09 PM
White Man in Hammersmith Palais.

You're in good company as that was allegedly Joe Strummer's favourite.

Given my user name it's no surprise that The Clash are a big part of my life although my husband is the biggest fan and saw them countless times in the 70s and 80s. But the song he wants played at his funeral is 'Stay Free,' a weak and mawkish Mick Jones filler. 

I love most of the songs mentioned on this thread but gun to my head I'd go for London Calling.

Shaky

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Janie Jones on September 19, 2021, 11:03:33 AM
You're in good company as that was allegedly Joe Strummer's favourite.
Q used to do a section where readers would send in questions for that month's guest - Strummer stated this was his favourite Clash tune when it was his turn. He also said the last person he punched was Mick Jones, though not when it happened. Or maybe it was the Foreigner guitarist or the ex-Leeds United striker?
Quote from: Shaky on September 19, 2021, 11:29:17 AM
Straight to Hell is gorgeous.
Always enjoyed the live version where someone in the crowd is bellowing along at the end and Strummer snarls "sing in tune, y'bastard!"