Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:17:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's your favorite Dead Kennedys song?

Started by Dirty Boy, September 18, 2021, 08:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
California Uber Alles.

Not a patch on The Clash though.

The Mollusk

Quote from: sutin on September 18, 2021, 10:44:20 PM
Well Paid Scientist ("WHY PUNCH THE CLOCK WHEN YOU COULD PUNCH YOUR BOSS?" Yes!!)

This is probably my favourite, it's a ferocious song. These lyrics:

"Pull up to your sterile home
You're drained
Bite the heads off of your kids
Chew them well, they taste like you
Just slam the door"

are so fucking savage and unpleasant.

I generally prefer DKs with some degree of sardonic sneering mania which makes tracks like "Halloween" and "In Sight" among their best for me. "Halloween" is almost unnecessarily scathing and it's all the funnier for it.

Not necessarily a favourite but EBR's awesome jazz guitar on "Ill in the Head" is part of what set DKs apart from their peers with sharp and inventive songwriting and so it's a big standout track for me.

Jockice

Best Flipper song is There Was An Old Woman Who Swallowed A Fly.

Hey, guys, I'm being ironic here. Hope you're enjoying it. Remember when Flexipop asked Jello Biafra what his favourite band was and they printed it as Slipper.

Goldentony

I'm going with Moon Over Marin, Riot, We've Got A Bigger Problem Now, Stealing People's Mail and the album version of California Uber Alles, hon mention to Police Truck and the I Fought The Law

Catalogue Trousers

Chickenshit Conformist, One Way Ticket To Pluto, MTV Get Off The Air (dig that crazy Latin American trumpet break), and The Man With The Dogs (as well as all of the others nominated thus far).

And yeah, The Clash were largely rubbish. Sorry, but it's true.

McChesney Duntz

I kinda wanna listen to the DKs catalogue now, for the first time in several decades. (My Jello fix usually comes via Lard or the one-off Witch Trials album nowadays.) Thank you for that...

Video Game Fan 2000

The keyboard part in "Stealing People's Mail" is the funniest thing in a DK song

Goldentony

yeah I do like that bit a lot, weird jolly double time 60s wedding organ

The Mollusk

Similarly love the manically pompous saxophone blares on "Terminal Preppie".

the ouch cube

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: sutin on September 19, 2021, 12:00:12 AM
I love DKs in full eerie echoy psych jam mode. Love the Frankenchrist album, one of the most underrated artwork of its era for my money.

Bet it is, you dirty bollocks.

It's my fav of the one I've heard. Not heard Plastic Surgery Disasters, or if I have it was decades ago.

The Mollusk

Mate. PSD is their best album by a country mile.

Pauline Walnuts

I'll get right on it, just as soon as I've got around to listening to the approximately 754 albums I've been meaning to get around to.

Goldentony

Quote from: the ouch cube on September 20, 2021, 12:33:29 PM
I Am The Owl

this also, adding this to my suggestions, TRANSFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORM

jobotic

What's your favourite MDC album?

I only know the first one and it's brilliant.

chveik

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

kngen

Quote from: jobotic on September 20, 2021, 05:19:06 PM

Yeah, they never really hit those heights again. Smoke Signals has its moments, but This Bloods For You saw them move in a more comedy/novelty band way ('Henry Kissmyassenger!'). I didn't really pay much attention to them after that,  so maybe they returned to their roots, but if they did nobody told me!

The Mollusk

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on September 20, 2021, 06:55:30 PM
Forest Fire, mainly for the first 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJGW7Bby-Cw

Ha, I was actually just on my way back in here to say that it's very hard to pick the best Jello lyrics but that opening verse is definitely up there.

gilbertharding

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 20, 2021, 08:27:23 PM
fondness for Nazi Punks Fuck Off

I once DJd at a friend of a friend's birthday party and played that. Very poor choice - clearly no-one knew what it was. Someone looked at the decks to see what the record was, and I realised that all they'd be able to make out on the label was a black swastika going round and round - the red 'anti-nazi' cross completely invisible, all the lyrics unintelligible apart from something about Nazis and 'Fuuuck offfff!'.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 21, 2021, 09:53:15 AM
I once DJd at a friend of a friend's birthday party and played that. Very poor choice - clearly no-one knew what it was. Someone looked at the decks to see what the record was, and I realised that all they'd be able to make out on the label was a black swastika going round and round - the red 'anti-nazi' cross completely invisible, all the lyrics unintelligible apart from something about Nazis and 'Fuuuck offfff!'.

Fortunately it was a NF disco so it went down well?

sutin

Quote from: jobotic on September 20, 2021, 05:19:06 PM

I only know the one with the big dog dick on it and it's great!

gilbertharding

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on September 21, 2021, 10:11:08 AM
Fortunately it was a NF disco so it went down well?

Sorry - yes, I should have finished the anecdote. I was asked that it should be my last record.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 21, 2021, 11:42:12 AM
Sorry - yes, I should have finished the anecdote. I was asked that it should be my last record.

Don't they have a slow smoochy one to end on, Bengali In Platforms?

boki

Gonna second Soup Is Good Food, 'cos I think that's underrated.