Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:23:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

carrot top

Started by madhair60, September 19, 2021, 12:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jumblegraws on September 20, 2021, 09:14:33 AM
See also: "Weird" Al Yankovic (who Mr Show also made fun of one time).

https://youtu.be/JvCmvSKenzY

...and iirc "Weird" Al then wrote to the Mr. Show peeps to tell them how much he'd loved it.

Might have been an affectionate parody given that David Cross also organised this (which is probably not an affectionate parody of Gal Gadot getting people to sing Imagine) and invited the man himself to join in:

https://youtu.be/AYGCpqAvoCs

BeardFaceMan

As far as I remember, Brian Posehn is a massive Weird Al fan, Bob & David were the angry, young alternative comedians, so not so much. But Weird Al, like Carrot Top, is one of those people who no one has a bad word to say about personally and who is very willing to laugh at himself.

Edit - here's a quote from Weird Al from the Mr Show book -

"Daffy 'Mal' Yinkleyankle, it was flattering to be yet another pop culture reference In Mr. Show. It was pretty scathing, I have to say. But that's just part of their brilliance. I think Bob encapsulated everything that was irritating about me. Particularly in the early part of my career, way too broad and nasal and just grossly irritating. It was kind of painful to watch because he was too dead on."

Echo Valley 2-6809

The two appearances Weird Al made on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast are among my favourite episodes.

He hasn't had Carrot Top on yet.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on September 20, 2021, 10:50:15 AM
The two appearances Weird Al made on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast are among my favourite episodes.

He hasn't had Carrot Top on yet.
Alfred always does a great job when he guests in other people's stuff. I don't think there's a performer I admire so much whose main body of work leaves me cold (and tbh, I like more of it than I let on most of the time).

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Jumblegraws on September 20, 2021, 10:56:17 AM
Alfred always does a great job when he guests in other people's stuff. I don't think there's a performer I admire so much whose main body of work leaves me cold (and tbh, I like more of it than I let on most of the time).

I know what you mean. I like the sensibility behind Weird Al's stuff but I don't think I've ever wanted to hear a parody of his a second time.

Rupert 'Pina Colada Song' Holmes was another excellent recurring Gottfried guest - and he's similarly good value in other interviews - but I'm not buying any of his albums.
Although I do like that one about the guy missing his teenage sweetheart who can't get her old phone number out of his mind. Can't remember what it's called.

Mobbd

I have never seen Carrot Top but am aware of the references to his work being hack. It's fucking commendable that Madhair60 went and checked it out.

I saw Martin Soan on his touring show once and it was very much akin to how Carrot Top's schtick is being described here. Not many people in the room were laughing, but I loved it and the rest of the crowd not liking it kinda added to the funniness of the situation for me (don't worry - I didn't laugh loud and long like that guy in the Stewart Lee show where he puts a soft toy on his head).

A lot of the humour at the Soan show came from the audacity of going to such lengths to deliver a cheesy joke; and seemingly not being bothered if the audience doesn't like it. Almost a prank on the audience really. Belongs in the Ted Chippington anti-comedy category for me. In a good way!

Plus, there was genuine artistry to be seen in such silly creations. It was absolutely great. Don't know yet how this truly compares to Carrot Top but I suspect I'm not too far off the mark.

EOLAN

Went to see Carrot Top at the Luxor once and he was very funny. Maybe helped that his warm up act was just so run of mill stand-up without much charisma that it seemed the energy was super ramped up once CT arrived.

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 19, 2021, 10:53:33 AM
https://youtu.be/Y9kmweNhE0M

The back scratch t-shirt is kind of genius tbf. And the Barney paddle is pleasingly dark. Nah, I can't hate this guy, sorry.

A mirror for bald men? I suppose as a woman you think that's funny? Well a lot of us on cab might disagree

Closer to Sam Simmons than Tim Vine I'd say. I love anyone who talks out loud about how each joke goes

sevendaughters

the 90s comedic concern with truth-telling and authenticity courtesy of Hicks et. al. led to a poisonous and totally disproportionate dislike of Carrot Top and Gallagher for their "not saying anything", I'm watching some old bits of his and I'm not exactly laughing but they're creative and energetic and vastly preferable to any number of Rogan-types who are basically cruel jocks enacting their own psychosis or any of the other loudy comedic types that have emerged in the last 20 years. That Conan clip is a bit of Norm as Comedy Store gatekeeper, the guy didn't exactly light up ratings himself.

Sure Gallagher became a total right-wing fartbrained nut, don't bring this up to demolish my comment.

Quote from: Mobbd on September 20, 2021, 11:19:34 AM
I have never seen Carrot Top but am aware of the references to his work being hack. It's fucking commendable that Madhair60 went and checked it out.

I saw Martin Soan on his touring show once and it was very much akin to how Carrot Top's schtick is being described here. Not many people in the room were laughing, but I loved it and the rest of the crowd not liking it kinda added to the funniness of the situation for me (don't worry - I didn't laugh loud and long like that guy in the Stewart Lee show where he puts a soft toy on his head)

Well I just did laugh loud and long at that; more than when S.Lee did it to be fair

colacentral

What next for the contrarian madhair? Probably that the age of consent should be lowered, the sick fuck.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Jumblegraws on September 20, 2021, 10:56:17 AM

I feel the exact same way about Andrew WK.

Blue Jam

...and I feel the same about loads of 90's musicians. Ash, Terrorvision, Marilyn Manson... never cared for their music but they were always entertaining in interviews.

Bit off-topic, sorry. Could be a whole other thread. I suppose the comedy equivalent for me would be Josie Long.

madhair60

Quote from: colacentral on September 20, 2021, 12:02:29 PM
What next for the contrarian madhair? Probably that the age of consent should be lowered, the sick fuck.

it's not contrarian, if anything the carrot top haters are the real contrarians, they hate because they were told to hate, because hate is all they have. not me, i have love in my heart, and when a comedian pulls out a hair brush the size of a guitar and says "this is Cher's hairbrush (pause for laughter) Cherbrush!! Alright, you liked that one huh??" i am filled with respect for that individual for living their dream.

peanutbutter

He's not very good but there's obviously something or another to him. A keenness for executing visual gags that would've been drastically more suited to animation. Or maybe it's that there's a modicum of talent, but rather than learning how to refine it (which would involve a massive amount of bombing in a standup environnment) he just went pure brute force and the more clever ideas get immediately buried by the bad ones (which themselves occur at such a speed it can cover up how bad they are).

Whether he's actually made any use of it I haven't a clue, but a Las Vegas residency seems kind of perfect for someone like him to slowly refine their act into something pretty fun in a way that the unpredictability of the touring circuit would never allow.

Famous Mortimer

Have any of you Johnny-Come-Latelys seen his movie, "Chairman Of The Board"? It makes his standup look good.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 20, 2021, 06:17:19 PM
Have any of you Johnny-Come-Latelys seen his movie, "Chairman Of The Board"? It makes his standup look good.
Johnny-Come-Latelys? Glass houses, mate
Quote from: Jumblegraws on September 19, 2021, 11:07:07 AM
Anyone here seen "Box Office Poison" itself, Chairman of the Board?

madhair60

i'm going to do it. i'm going to watch chairman of the board

Chedney Honks

I watched it last night and I thought it should have been called 'Chairman of the Bored'.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Has he ever got his cock out? I want to see the pubes, make sure the collars match the cuffs.

Blue Jam

Quote from: madhair60 on September 20, 2021, 06:40:06 PM

Seeing that image of a man in a business suit on a surfboard (ahahahahahah CHAIRMAN of THE BOARD, geddit?) made me want to do the same tbh.

Fuckit- is it on Netflix?

chveik

madhair you're going way to far in your dedication to this bit

QDRPHNC

Quote from: madhair60 on September 20, 2021, 06:40:06 PM

Does Carrot Top upset the squares?

madhair60

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 20, 2021, 07:26:29 PM
Has he ever got his cock out?

yes. click here to see it. this is not a joke, this is a video containing carrot top's prick. nsfw

QDRPHNC

I'll take that as a yes!!!

imitationleather

Quote from: madhair60 on September 20, 2021, 07:50:28 PM
yes. click here to see it. this is not a joke, this is a video containing carrot top's prick. nsfw

How old is he? I'm guessing at least 70.

jobotic

So why isn't he called Carrot Tops And Bottoms.

jobotic

Quote from: chveik on September 20, 2021, 07:34:11 PM
madhair you're going way to far in your dedication to this bit

He already did that with his Radiohead thread. I mean, I ask you.

madhair60

Quote from: jobotic on September 20, 2021, 07:59:30 PM
He already did that with his Radiohead thread. I mean, I ask you.

i love radiohead though. people round here treat me like a joke and it's not fair. i'm a beloved man.

kngen

I think I was first made aware of him by the Larry Sanders roast episode, where his inclusion was seen as the absolute nadir of the event by Larry. It's hard to shake negative perceptions when that's your introduction, but at least he doesn't seem to be a hateful, reactionary prick like Gallagher.