Author Topic: Sex Education (Series 3)  (Read 2009 times)

Theremin

• C'mon man
Re: Sex Education (Series 3)
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2021, 04:38:46 PM »
I’m four episodes into this series now and I’m finding the massively ham fisted presentation of the new principal’s backwards regressive attitudes quite a chore.

Agreed, she is extremely un-fun as well as unlikeable. Tough combo in an antagonist.

We had a friend over to watch the 4th episode, who correctly predicted that they'd introduce some small detail about the Hope character to give her some pathos, and also correctly predicted it would have something to do with fertility.

In fact, she was so happy with her prediction that when the failed-IVF scene happened she shouted "HA-HAAA! YA DRIED UP OLD BITCH!"

Which was very crass and made me laugh very hard.

The Mollusk

• I’m gonna have another Boost, John!
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2021, 07:20:04 PM »
^ That’s episode 5!

Watched episode 6 last night. Fucking hell, as Waylon Smithers once said, Hope has crossed the line from regular villainy into cartoonish supervillainy. Her archaic/regressive politics and punishment methods are laughably OTT, her character is pretty dreadful and it’s ruining the show for me. So much else going on with the other characters is typically great, very funny, deeply emotional, strong developmental arcs, but this stinking turd in the middle of everything is very very hard to watch and take seriously, even in a show that’s a gleefully daft as this one frequently is.

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2021, 06:42:46 PM »
Ok so we've had the "Why is it an American school?" conversation, but how old are they supposed to be?

I can't but them as anything younger than sixth form but Adam is in bottom set for English and doesn't know that sentences have full stops. Am i supposed to be believe they're doing GCSEs?

Ian Drunken Smurf

• Archbast*rd of Canterbury
  • Golden Member
  • Dominic Cummings chews bats
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2021, 07:26:19 PM »
how old are they supposed to be?

I got the impression sixth form too, but haven't quite worked out exactly how Jackson would be head boy if it weren't his final year (and I thought there was a summer between series 2 and 3).

The Mollusk

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2021, 07:42:10 AM »
It’s confirmed they’re sixth formers in the last episode of this series.

Just finished watching this last night. It’s easily the weakest of the three and undoubtedly weighed down by Hope who, aside from her final scene in the last episode, was out-and-out garbage. At a time when confronting micro aggressions against race, gender and sexual identity is so important, instead of cleverly writing in a plot of subtle underhanded systemic abuse, the decision to cram in as much MUAHAHAHA pure evil headmaster shite was beyond disappointing. The scene where Ruby fight Hope in the control room during the open day presentation was absolutely fucking woeful!

There are some other criticisms I have with the writing: The push and pull “will they won’t they” of a lot of the relationships was quite a strain, it seems like everyone was under loads of strain and as a result a lot of the joy was stripped out of it. I was particularly dismayed with how they handled Eric and Adam’s relationship, as I didn’t really feel the intended empathy towards Eric when he struggled to stop and wait for Adam to properly come out and accept his sexuality, and him kissing someone else on holiday actually just really annoyed me.

Aside from the bad stuff, there were frequent moments of what makes the show so great: I loved the arc with Amy confronting her assault, and Adam and Michael Groff were both as consistently brilliant as ever. They’re the three best characters in it, in my opinion.

They really need to pull their fingers out for the fourth series as this one was veering way too hard into silliness at times and it began feeling less like an artfully crafted and nuanced comedy drama and more like an absurd cartoon. But on the whole I still found it enjoyable enough to binge watch the lot!

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2021, 09:04:22 PM »
Why was the brief flashback to Lillie's childhood featuring Sophie Thompson set in the 1980s?
I know the actress is about 29 but surely it should have been in about 2015 or something?
Otherwise, great series.

The Mollusk

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2021, 11:08:34 PM »
Something else that fucked me off is when they revealed Viv’s boyfriend Eugene and everyone was all like SAY WHAAAAT because he’s really handsome, implying that academic types who are into cosplay/fantasy roleplay surely couldn’t also be conventionally attractive. Honestly for a show this switched on and clued in they’ve really stuck their foot in it this series.

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2021, 08:08:02 PM »
It’s confirmed they’re sixth formers in the last episode of this series.

OK so none of the lesson stuff makes any sense at all. Not to worry.

How long do we reckon Maeve's trip to America is supposed to be lasting? Initially I imagined it was like a summer holidays kind of thing but Otis's reaction seems to imply it's more substantial than that.

I should probably just not worry about timelines.

Ian Drunken Smurf

• Archbast*rd of Canterbury
  • Golden Member
  • Dominic Cummings chews bats
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2021, 08:21:50 PM »
Also you'd think they'd be applying for unis, surely?

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2021, 08:43:42 PM »
Viv is the only one I can remember talking about university, but not directly about applications I don't think.

Tags: