Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:05:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fish Finger Sandwiches With Ketchup On

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, September 19, 2021, 12:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Any sort of breaded or battered chicken works well in a sandwich. I don't know what is it about it. My youngest is into fish finger sandwiches - with ketchup in, sorry - and I have tried them, they're nice. But breaded chicken will always be my first love.

Sebastian Cobb

Seeing as this is veering into general condiment chat, I got given some of this spicy salami spread recently and it is pretty good.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 19, 2021, 01:12:03 PM
Was it Small Man Big Horse who said that he puts ( or used to put ) ketchup on  A FUCKING SUNDAY ROAST DINNER? Shocking stuff.

I used to, yeah, to the extent where I'd smuggle in a bottle when I went to the Toby Carvery for one of their all you can eat roast dinner buffets, and I'd put it on pretty much every other hot meal as well. But since the diabetes diagnosis ketchup is only an occasional treat now, maybe once a month if I've been a particularly good boy.

mothman

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 19, 2021, 02:58:48 PM
Seeing as this is veering into general condiment chat, I got given some of this spicy salami spread recently and it is pretty good.

Ooh. What's the shelf life on that? Is it one of those "refrigerate after opening, and use within a week" deals?

Kankurette

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 19, 2021, 12:48:53 PM
Wrongful?
No, but tartare sauce + fish fingers even better. Bonus points if they're halloumi fingers.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mothman on September 19, 2021, 03:05:31 PM
Ooh. What's the shelf life on that? Is it one of those "refrigerate after opening, and use within a week" deals?

Refrigerate and use within a month. To be honest that shouldn't be too hard to do as it doesn't spread that thinly and is nice just on dry toast!

I put a couple of spoonfuls in my scrambled egg this morning.

Kankurette

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 19, 2021, 02:36:50 PM
The first time I made a roast dinner for Mrs SpiderChrist-to-be she put ketchup on it. It's disgusting, although not as disgusting as the salad cream thing. Ew.

My Mum and Nan ran a guest house back in the late 70s/early 80s. My Nan's Sunday roasts were amazing. One day a guest asked for ketchup with his roast lamb etc and my Nan went fucking ballistic at him. "You think I slaved to cook you a lovely roast dinner so you can cover it in that shit?" My Nan was ace.
Your nan and my mum would agree on that. Mum hates ketchup. Like, she has it in the house because my stepdad likes it, every single man she's married loves condiments, but she can't stand the smell. One time she got mad and yeeted a bottle of it at me and the joke was on her cos it spilled and she had to clean it up.

Also, why the shit would you put ketchup on roast lamb?! That's what redcurrant jelly is for!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I too have a jar of Nduja in the fridge. Are we middle class enough yet?

mothman

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 19, 2021, 03:13:18 PM
Refrigerate and use within a month. To be honest that shouldn't be too hard to do as it doesn't spread that thinly and is nice just on dry toast!

I put a couple of spoonfuls in my scrambled egg this morning.
Thanks! We had burgers delivered the other week which were supposed to have had nduja in but I couldn't detect anything apart from what seemed to be some sort of spicy relish, now wondering if it was something akin to this...

itsfredtitmus

Fucking boss those mate I have them for breakfast dinner tea and supper

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mothman on September 19, 2021, 03:18:34 PM
Thanks! We had burgers delivered the other week which were supposed to have had nduja in but I couldn't detect anything apart from what seemed to be some sort of spicy relish, now wondering if it was something akin to this...

It's not ridiculously hot but you'd know it's there, and it does noticeably taste like salami.

seepage

Quote from: Kankurette on September 19, 2021, 03:11:46 PM
No, but tartare sauce + fish fingers even better. Bonus points if they're halloumi fingers.

Halloumi fingers in breadcrumbs are OK - like mini saganaki cheeses, but 'round my way everywhere now does battered Halloumi as a veggie alternative to fish & chips but battered Halloumi just doesn't work.   

Saganaki cheese sandwich - now we're talking.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 19, 2021, 02:31:32 PM
Out of curiosity I once ordered a Big Fish from Burger King, which is their equivalent to the Filet o Fish. It was three dreary looking fish fingers in a bap with some cheese and a small dollop of tartar sauce. Very poor.
did you eat it?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Mary is not amused

Quote from: Kankurette on September 19, 2021, 03:17:52 PM
every single man she's married loves condiments

A woman in an immaculate bride's dress (i.e. her dress) bursts in.  Perched on the end of the bridal suite's bed (i.e the hotel's bed) sits the groom.  His head jolts up, guilty from clumsily spooning horseradish paste into his now slack maw.

"Oh, not again", she sighs.

C_Larence

Quote from: seepage on September 19, 2021, 03:58:11 PM
Halloumi fingers in breadcrumbs are OK - like mini saganaki cheeses, but 'round my way everywhere now does battered Halloumi as a veggie alternative to fish & chips but battered Halloumi just doesn't work.   

Saganaki cheese sandwich - now we're talking.

Fried halloumi coated with sesame seeds and drizzled with honey is my go to.

Recently bought some heinz truffle mayonnaise and it was incredible but ran out very quickly, not sure if it's a limited edition or not but haven't seen it in the smaller shops.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Mary is not amused on September 19, 2021, 06:29:06 PM
A woman in an immaculate bride's dress (i.e. her dress) bursts in.  Perched on the end of the bridal suite's bed (i.e the hotel's bed) sits the groom.  His head jolts up, guilty from clumsily spooning horseradish paste into his now slack maw.

"Oh, not again", she sighs.

He tells her it's horseradish, but there's a man hiding in the wardrobe with his pants round his ankles.

Dusty Substance

Make it a vegan fish finger sandwich.

Fucking heavenly.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Fishfinger sandwiches are too bready for me.

Quote from: C_Larence on September 19, 2021, 12:53:26 PM
Only wrong if you put the ketchup in the sandwich. I hate it when people put ketchup "on" food, as it gets hot and changes the taste and texture. It should be left on the side and used as a dip to create a juxtaposition of hot and cold.
...are you telling me you'd eat a sausage sandwich without ketchup on the sausages??

Jockice

Fish finger sandwiches are wrong, full stop. The chips should go in the bread. And ketchup, salt and loads of vinegar are all you need in the way of extras.

Jockice

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 19, 2021, 07:38:23 PM
Make it a vegan fish finger sandwich.

Fucking heavenly.

A fishless finger sandwich. A finger sandwich. Fingers, people. Fingers crispy pancake. Fungus keepers.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

What's a vegan fish fonger got in it, fucking seaweed or something

bgmnts

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 19, 2021, 09:48:35 PM
What's a vegan fish fonger got in it, fucking seaweed or something

You can get them now.

I suppose if you cook up some banana blossom right and then get that breaded you could make a sort of homemade vegan fish finger as well.

Blinder Data

butter, ketchup and mayo on lightly toasted sliced white bread. that's it.

(add a few non crunchy salad leaves if you're on a diet)

beanheadmcginty

I once had a really vivid dream that I'd invented the world's greatest sandwich. The filling was a perfectly cooked juicy steak, but rather than slices of bread it was sandwiched between two chicken kievs absolutely pissing garlic butter. I woke up at the moment of ecstasy biting into it. I have never had the nerve to try and create this in real life in case it isn't as good as I think it must be.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

It would go all over your hands. Better off with a knife and fork.

Cloud

The bread must be white, and buttered.  The tom sauce must be applied and then mashed in with the fish fingers.

If so, good stuff

purlieu

Quote from: seepage on September 19, 2021, 03:58:11 PM
but battered Halloumi just doesn't work.
This is the most wrong thing to ever be posted on this board. If I wasn't trying to lose weight I'd happily live off battered halloumi. Potentially the most delicious food ever created.

C_Larence

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 19, 2021, 09:10:44 PM...are you telling me you'd eat a sausage sandwich without ketchup on the sausages??

There would be ketchup on the sausages after I dipped them in it, but I am completely averse to coating food with it.