Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:54:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fish Finger Sandwiches With Ketchup On

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, September 19, 2021, 12:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 19, 2021, 02:58:48 PM
Seeing as this is veering into general condiment chat, I got given some of this spicy salami spread recently and it is pretty good.

Love the stuff, unfortunately my body makes sure it comes out looking the same as when it goes in. Pain.

Surprised this got mentioned as an option with fish.

MojoJojo

That 'nduja stuff is all over my youtube ads, so it can get in the bin.

Mayonnaise for fish finger sandwiches. Bit of lettuce for crunch too.

SpiderChrist

Being allergic to eggs, I have only recently tried mayonnaise (a vegan version that a friend of mine insists "tastes just like the real thing") and to be honest it's fucking disgusting I don't get the appeal.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 19, 2021, 12:58:24 PM
ketchup and mayo when i'm 'ere

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 19, 2021, 01:00:40 PM
Now, that *is* wrongful.

Isn't ketchup and mayo what prawn cocktail sauce is? In which case, I don't see why it would be out of place here.

Add a potato waffle to a fish finger sandwich.

colacentral

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 19, 2021, 01:12:03 PM
Was it Small Man Big Horse who said that he puts ( or used to put ) ketchup on  A FUCKING SUNDAY ROAST DINNER? Shocking stuff.

I went to a work christmas dinner once where three different food options were available: a Christmas roast, a stir fry, and a salad. God knows why. You can probably guess the end of this story, someone at my table came back with a plate of all three and finished the lot.

SpiderChrist

Back in my carnivorous days, I went to a fast food place in Cambridge for a burger. Bloke asks me if I want burger sauce, so I ask what's in it "I'm allergic to eggs" I explain. Cunt goes a bit mad tbh. "What do you mean EGGS? Why would I put EGGS in my burger sauce?" He's a tad agitated so, in an effort to cool down the pace, I ask him what's in his burger sauce. "Ketchup and mayonnaise" is the reply.

Twit 2

Sebastian Cobb

Ketchup and mayo is not a 'burger sauce'.

IIRC the cheapo burger relishes they did in places like makro were always pretty decent.

purlieu

Never ketchup in a sandwich. It soaks into the bread and makes it soggy. Absolutely rank. Mayo, yes, of course.

badaids

Quote from: purlieu on September 20, 2021, 09:13:15 PM
Never ketchup in a sandwich. It soaks into the bread and makes it soggy. Absolutely rank. Mayo, yes, of course.

If you stick an insulating layers of butter and trap it in between the other ingredients you can avoid this.  It's a manageable enough issue even for any amateur competent sandwich assembler.

purlieu

Butter in hot sandwiches is also a no-no, I'm afraid. Christ, you'll be buttering your burger buns next.

Cold Meat Platter

Hitler insisted on buttered bread, ketchup and salad cream.

Cloud

The trick is to gobble it down before it has a chance to do that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My tip if using sliced bread, toast the bread so it firms up a bit. Yes, ketchup in a limp Hovis triangular packed lunch tier sarnie sounds shite.

A burger is just bread with some stuff in and no-one seems to regard ketchup as being impossible in there.

Kankurette

Ketchup and mayo go together on chips, not so much in a fish finger butty.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Cloud on September 20, 2021, 10:07:22 PM

I'LL BET IT IS YOU DIRTY OLD BOLLOCKS. I'LL FUCKING BET IT IS.

bgmnts

My mum swears by ketchup and sugar sandwiches but just rhe thought makes my guts cringe.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 20, 2021, 10:09:11 PM
My tip if using sliced bread, toast the bread so it firms up a bit. Yes, ketchup in a limp Hovis triangular packed lunch tier sarnie sounds shite.

A burger is just bread with some stuff in and no-one seems to regard ketchup as being impossible in there.

If you've got a toaster with a wide gauge you can fit two slices in one slot and only have them toasted on the inside (well, outside, but then you turn them round when you assemble the sandwich).

Cuntbeaks

4 haddock fish fingers
Buttered white bread
Salt
Malt vinegar
Tomato sauce (optional)

Definitely find that the haddock fingers provide a better overall experience.

Sebastian Cobb

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Kankurette on September 20, 2021, 10:11:09 PM
Ketchup and mayo go together on chips, not so much in a fish finger butty.
Frank Sinatra demands rewrite from Sammy Cahn.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 20, 2021, 10:15:23 PM
If you've got a toaster with a wide gauge you can fit two slices in one slot and only have them toasted on the inside (well, outside, but then you turn them round when you assemble the sandwich).

Or a grill.

Aaron500

SCENARIO 1

Fish finger sandwich time - the bread is buttered, the fish fingers come off the grill, get slavered in ketchup or whatever else you perverts like, top slice of bread on, you take a bite and... you've fucked up. It's still cold in the middle. You fucking muppet.

Do you:

A. Carry on and eat the lot, let's face it I'm having a fish finger sandwich as an actual meal, I don't give a shit, plus slavering it with condiment was the point of no return. Not going to kill me, is it?

B. Throw it away, and burst into tears. Meal, and life ruined.

C. Attempt re-cooking. Deconstruct the sandwich, and try to scrape off the condiment with the back of a knife, removing most of the breadcrumb coating in the process. Back under the grill, overcook it just to be sure and eventually have an unsatisfactory FFS which is too dry and tastes of burnt ketchup.

purlieu

Quote from: Cloud on September 20, 2021, 10:07:22 PM
Nah, too sensitive to food texture, it's literally a few seconds before it makes me wretch.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 20, 2021, 10:09:11 PM
I don't do ketchup in burgers either.

mothman

I bet you're a riot at parties.

Spoiler alert
;-)
[close]

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Aaron500 on September 21, 2021, 12:09:24 AM
SCENARIO 1

Fish finger sandwich time - the bread is buttered, the fish fingers come off the grill, get slavered in ketchup or whatever else you perverts like, top slice of bread on, you take a bite and... you've fucked up. It's still cold in the middle. You fucking muppet.

You cook extras so you have a few doneness tester/appetizer ones to just dunk and eat pre-sandwich. The obvious Red Shirt one(s) are any who lost a bit of breading stuck to the pan.

seepage

In the mid 80s Wimpy changed their mayo from deep savoury to tooth-achingly sweet. No more Wimpy burgers for me. Who wants sugary mayo in their burger?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: purlieu on September 21, 2021, 12:11:39 AM
I don't do ketchup in burgers either.

I thought this is where it was heading.

I suppose it's not as zany as 'I can't eat pizza because of melted cheese, I will scrape it all off' man who used to be my line manager.

amateur

Quote from: purlieu on September 20, 2021, 09:28:20 PM
Butter in hot sandwiches is also a no-no, I'm afraid. Christ, you'll be buttering your burger buns next.

Absolute nonsense. A chip butty without butter is a frightful thought.

You're also going to need ketchup, salt and vinegar in there if you have any self-respect.

DrGreggles