Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:14:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

John Challis dead

Started by Utter Shit, September 19, 2021, 02:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Sad news. He brought so much to Only Fools and Horses, both on the show itself and in doing so much to keep the show alive once it finished. By all accounts a very nice man too.

beanheadmcginty

JamesTC

Can anybody find the clip of John Challis doing the Boycie dance on that Serbian chat show?

Also RIP.

Quote from: JamesTC on September 19, 2021, 02:12:21 PM
Can anybody find the clip of John Challis doing the Boycie dance on that Serbian chat show?

Also RIP.

https://youtu.be/gPIP5YKRHfM

JamesTC

Butchers Blind

idunnosomename

Ignatius_S

Very sad news.

As mentioned above, added so much to Only Fools and Horses. Also, Challis was also tremendous value for money in whatever he appeared in.

There was a production of Entertaining Mr Sloane, which starred Barbara Windsor, Kenneth Waller and supposedly, Peter Dean. However, on the Monday of the week that the play opened, Dean left due to 'artistic differences' with the director and Challis stepped into the role of Ed. I saw either the first or second performance and Challis was simply outstanding - as Orton observed, Ed is the lynchpin for the play.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Dusty Substance

Was he shot by Noel Edmonds? Has Clive Anderson made a statement?

R.I.P John Challis.

lankyguy95

"Not Boycie" trending on Twitter. These conspiracy theorists will make up anything.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 19, 2021, 02:05:26 PM
Sad news. He brought so much to Only Fools and Horses, both on the show itself and in doing so much to keep the show alive once it finished. By all accounts a very nice man too.

Absolutely - also, I read one of his autobiographies and thought Challis came across so well. I know that's what is meant to happen in an autobiography, but doesn't always happen...

When he talks about being cast in Only Fools..., Challis discusses how the look of Boycie and the clothes was very much down to him; it was a while since I read it, but from what I remember, he was very grateful having that kind of opportunity to have that input. Also, IIRC, the time between that and him having the script was pretty brief, showing how quickly he was able to nail the character.

kaprisky

Where Has Poor Boycie Gone? (The second-hand car dealership in the sky). R.I.P.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: JamesTC on September 19, 2021, 02:12:21 PM

Also RIP.

For those unaware, the host of the chatshow had been taken seriously ill (I think it might have been a heart attack) leaving Challis to improvise.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Blimey, he was married four times, one of his missuses being the lovely Debbie Arnold. Total Ledge.

kalowski

Mr Trumpet

The curse of Only Fools and Horses claims another victim

He played a villain's henchman called Scorby in Tom Baker Dr Who story Seeds of Doom.  RIP.

Lungpuddle

Aw no. I'm genuinely sad to hear Doctor Who star John Challis has died. He always came across as quite affable and charming (I never met the man, although I have just watched that video and it is more evidence of his charm). Condolences to all the fans of Fools & Horses.

studpuppet

Lungpuddle

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 19, 2021, 03:29:36 PM
He played a villain's henchman called Scorby in Tom Baker Dr Who story Seeds of Doom.  RIP.

My previous post may have come off as sarcastic, but I hope not, he was genuinely great in that story, finding the right way to act against Tom Baker without coming across as trying to out-act him like the captain guy in the Pirate Planet. Up there with Julian Glover (in terms of acting, I think Julian Glover's still alive).

idunnosomename

Wonder if they will give him an Only Fools tribute funeral. Hapless Del Boy and Rodders put him in the wrong grave or something.

JamesTC

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 19, 2021, 03:35:24 PM
Wonder if they will give him an Only Fools tribute funeral. Hapless Del Boy and Rodders put him in the wrong grave or something.

Damien and GARY have to run the car dealership whilst Boycie is in prison.

Heard the news as I was driving on the A35 past the exit for Puddletown and Athelhampton House where they did the location shots for Seeds of Doom.

I don't think I'm responsible for Challis' death, but I might speak to a solicitor just in case.

H-O-W-L

Stick a body in me graveyard

Glebe

Just got into me hotel room here in beautiful Waterford, went on me phone and saw this, upsetting news. RIP Boycie. And Jimmy Greaves too, what a day.

Goldentony

couple of years ago I wrote a pitch for a TV show called 'BOYCIE WANKER' but me and my mate forgot to write the premise down so that was all we had for years. RIP Boycie.