Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Squid Game

Started by Frances Found, September 19, 2021, 09:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frances Found

Anyone seen this new Korean Netflix drama?

A bunch of poor people volunteer to play some games to win a cash prize and the stakes are higher than they realise etc etc.

I'm a sucker for the whole Battle Royale/deadly game genre and this is one of the best. The first 2 episodes are a bit slow, especially episode 2, but from there it's brilliant.

It also features the most tense
Spoiler alert
game of tug of war
[close]
I've ever seen.

Consignia

It's just popped up on my recommendations list. It's only 9 episodes, yeah? I find K-dramas tend to be quite streched out, but if it's just this long, I think I might give it a go. It does sound quite complelling.

Frances Found

Yeah, just 9 episodes, most are 60 minutes lomg but there's one that's 30 for some reason.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Frances Found on September 19, 2021, 09:46:39 PM
It also features the most tense
Spoiler alert
game of tug of war
[close]
I've ever seen.

I've just googled
Quote"tensegame"
to see what this Korean word meant.

olliebean

What was the name of the game they were using to hook people in? The one where they're throwing coloured squares at the ground and trying to get the other coloured square to turn over.

Consignia

Watched the first episode, and yeah quite enjoyed it. Will definitely finish.

Quote from: olliebean on September 20, 2021, 06:23:48 PM
What was the name of the game they were using to hook people in? The one where they're throwing coloured squares at the ground and trying to get the other coloured square to turn over.

Ddakji or Ttakji[nb]I'm unsure of the best romanisation of 딱지, I'd favour the latter but I'm probably wrong[/nb]. I think it's a standard Korean kids game, like will probably the theme for all of the games played in this series.

Enzo

The guy with the glasses really looks like a Korean Reece Shearsmith[nb]Hi Reece![/nb]

maett

I've only seen episode one, enjoyed it a lot.  Both the games that were played are still popular kids games in Korea. I reckon if you looked in any 9 year old schoolboy's backpack you'd stand a 50/50 chance of finding one of those Ddakji things. 

olliebean

Quote from: Consignia on September 20, 2021, 11:01:35 PMI'm unsure of the best romanisation of 딱지, I'd favour the latter but I'm probably wrong

Google Translate translates it as "scab." (Or "label," which is more appropriate to the context, I suppose.)

Enzo

This really fell off a cliff in the last 3 episodes. Episode 6 was fantastic and packed an emotional punch, but the introduction of the
Spoiler alert
VIPs
[close]
was pretty awful and it never recovered.

Chairman Yang

The story really does feel like it was trying for a second series about 2/3rds of the way through. Fun enough, mind. Kind of felt like watching the live action adaptation of a terrible video game.

Dr Rock

Loved it, but would change most of the last episode. But the bits I liked were great, really tense and shocking.

AngryGazelle

This was great, it was tense, funny, emotional, brutal and really gripping.

The ending though... the twist was rubbish and actually ruined one of the best characters. The karen haircut was more shocking tbh. I audibly said 'no' at that final scene - seems they were more interested in setting up a sequel than providing a fitting end to Gi-Hun's arc.

wooders1978

So according to Korean people, a lot of the character development and pathos was lost because they changed key characters dialogue in the subtitles? Why the *fuck* would they do that?

Consignia

Quote from: wooders1978 on October 11, 2021, 06:34:00 PM
So according to Korean people, a lot of the character development and pathos was lost because they changed key characters dialogue in the subtitles? Why the *fuck* would they do that?

See my comment here in the other thread: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,89681.msg4707164.html#msg4707164

I think the changes are exaggerated based on people getting the wrong subtitle track, or just not appreciating how difficult a job translation is.

Gregory Torso

As The Gods Will was better, and even that went right up its own arse towards the end.