Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:35:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Miriam Margolyes on the Off Menu podcast

Started by Utter Shit, September 22, 2021, 01:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Not sure if anyone is still listening to this, but the most recent episode with Miriam Margolyes is an absolute joy.

I've never been quite sure whether her total absence of any sort of filter is an act, genuine or a little bit of both, but the answer she gives when discussing her autobiography and she is asked how many people she has slept with is *incredible*.

I tend to dip in and out of the podcast depending on who the guest is, but this episode is a must-listen.

Thread for earlier episodes here:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,73366.msg3844523.html#msg3844523

MigraineBoy

They've had a really good run of late - the Miriam, Bob Mortimer & Ainsley Harriot eps have all had excellent bits.

ProvanFan

I've found myself listening to more than a few of these. Thought I wasn't interested in chit chat about food and thought I didn't care much for Ed Gamble, but it turns out I quite like both. My world turned upside down, like an upside down cake.

Has to be while I'm doing a mundane task though. Making lunch, for example.

Utter Shit

Oh God yeah the Bob Mortimer episode was as brilliant as you'd expect. Not listened to the Ainsley Harriot one, worth a go then!

nugget

I had never heard of her before so had no idea what to expect, which probably made it even more enjoyable. I normally skip the episodes with people I've not heard of, really glad I gave this one a chance.

Echo Valley 2-6809

She's an official "national treasure" now, isn't she? A label that seems to be applied to people I used to like just as they're becoming completely intolerable (to me and apparently no one else).

Does she talk about how much she likes farting in front of people?

Echo Valley 2-6809

studpuppet

I still love Stephen Fry recounting their first meeting:

QuoteToo late for the preliminary introductions, Miriam Margolyes had burst in like a beaming pinball just in time for the start of the read. When it was over she approached me.

"How do you do? I'm Mir..." She stopped and plucked at her tongue with her thumb and forefinger, "...Miriam Margolyes. Sorry about that, I was licking my girlfriend out last night and I've still got some cunt hairs in my mouth." Miriam is perhaps the kindest, most loyal and incorruptibly decent person on the whole Equity roll, but she is certainly not someone to take out to tea with the archdeacon.

Echo Valley 2-6809

It's an amusing story but it smacks of luvvie person deliberately amplifying their eccentric reputation to ensure they'll always be the subject of an anecdote. I suppose it worked, though.

Margolyes, Mirren, Dench, Connolly, Fry, national treasures and don't they know it.

darby o chill

^ Exactly that. Dreadful oul bag. Hi I'm Miriam (PAAAARP) oh look I've farted.
Imagine bringing up that fanny hair story in any other scenario. Do they not have those finishing schools in Ingerland anymore?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I can't be bothered with Margolyes' performative eccentric shtick either. I get the impression that she actually is a nice person, but her "Have I just shocked you by farting and saying 'fuck'?" public persona is tiresome.

Mobius

Agreed. We get it, you're "warts and all" [nb](whilst also being famous and mates with loads of celebrities.)[/nb] Well done.

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on September 22, 2021, 03:22:36 PM
It's an amusing story but it smacks of luvvie person deliberately amplifying their eccentric reputation to ensure they'll always be the subject of an anecdote. I suppose it worked, though.

Margolyes, Mirren, Dench, Connolly, Fry, national treasures and don't they know it.

I personally wouldn't class Dench, Mirren and Connolly as celebs who revel in their National Treasure status. Whenever they appear on chat shows, Dench and Mirren don't ever try to draw attention to themselves in that sort of way, and after reading Connolly's autobiography I'm convinced that he really doesn't give a fuck

When he writes about how lucky he's been, it doesn't come across as "Who? Little old me?" humblebragging. He's just delighted that talking (very funny) shite for a living has made him extremely rich. That's understandable.

But Fry, yes. He just loves being a cuddly National Treasure. And I say that as someone who thinks he was quite brilliant in his heyday.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

To be fair, she's made some really good albums with ( the) Melvins.

purlieu

Honestly, if anyone has to be a National Treasure, I'd much rather it be someone like Miriam Margolyes than most people. She clearly enjoys playing up to her persona, but it's a pretty good persona in general. More openly vulgar left-wing anti-Israel pro-Corbyn lesbians in the mainstream please.

I will strive to listen to this podcast asap.

jobotic

Quote from: purlieu on September 22, 2021, 09:47:30 PM
Honestly, if anyone has to be a National Treasure, I'd much rather it be someone like Miriam Margolyes than most people. She clearly enjoys playing up to her persona, but it's a pretty good persona in general. More openly vulgar left-wing anti-Israel pro-Corbyn lesbians in the mainstream please.

Well yeah. I feel bad now. As I say, I think she's a fundamentally good person. I just wish she'd stop going on about flatulence. I don't find flatulence funny. Farts are boring, Miriam. Please talk more about how you fucking loathe the Tories next time you're being interviewed by Graham Norton, as that will really shock people. Cheers.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 22, 2021, 09:38:24 PM
I personally wouldn't class Dench, Mirren and Connolly as celebs who revel in their National Treasure status. Whenever they appear on chat shows, Dench and Mirren don't ever try to draw attention to themselves in that sort of way, and after reading Connolly's autobiography I'm convinced that he really doesn't give a fuck

When he writes about how lucky he's been, it doesn't come across as "Who? Little old me?" humblebragging. He's just delighted that talking (very funny) shite for a living has made him extremely rich. That's understandable.

But Fry, yes. He just loves being a cuddly National Treasure. And I say that as someone who thinks he was quite brilliant in his heyday.

Maybe I'm a miserable bastard with an irrational fear of yet another farewell edition of Parkinson with those five as guests, and probably the only person who had violent thoughts when Dench was on the show and kicked off her shoes to tuck her feet under her on the chair. So affected.
I remember Frank Skinner saying that ages ago he was going into The Ivy restaurant when Dench was also there, and he was aware of her looking at him and whispering to the person she was with that the place was going downhill.

As for Mirren...

... she often pulls some stunt to ensure she gets into the papers now and then. Stumbling over (pretending to) or disingenuously swearing on live TV.

I quite like Joanna Lumley though.

No, more stale and eggy than that.

I reckon she lets rip and then shuffles them out the bottom of her trousers like Andy Dufrane in Shawshank.

Brundle-Fly

Makes you wonder if she has ever indulged in "a National Treasure face off" with Brian Blessed?

The Mollusk

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 23, 2021, 09:58:53 AM
Farts are funny. Lock the thread.

I've a good mind to put up an altered version of that three panel cartoon about men cod- ironically saying nasty things about ladies, with the concluding paragraph bearing the legend " joke's on them, only * pretending* to find farts  funny ( Indeed, I * would* do this if my IT skills didnae make Graham Linehan look like Steve Jobs, or someone of that ilk)".
Farts are not funny, never have been, never will be. Even the very *word* " fart" is unfunny and annoying. Miriam Margoyles with her contrived cunt- hair picking capers can fuck off, too " I'M A MASSIVE LESBIAN! * FART!* CHORTLE!" It was all downhill after " A Kick Up The Eighties" for her.

Now the thread can be locked.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 23, 2021, 09:33:32 AM
Makes you wonder if she has ever indulged in "a National Treasure face off" with Brian Blessed?

Brian Blessed can fuck off too. He can't even do a good Brian Blessed impression. Now the thread can be locked.

Tony Tony Tony

All this talk about National Treasures and not a single mention of Michael Palin?

As for Miriam Margolyes she came over quite well in that prog where they ship a heap of olds out to India with a view to living there, but I guess most of her excesses were edited out.

I haven't heard the off menu podcast yet but would guess she used many of the same anecdotes as on the Louis Theroux podcast last year... Is there mention of wanking off a soldier up a tree?

EDIT: Just checked the olds show and it was The Real Marigold Hotel and MM was in the 2016 series

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 23, 2021, 11:18:43 AM
Brian Blessed can fuck off too. He can't even do a good Brian Blessed impression. Now the thread can be locked.

Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand Brian Blessed and his fake eccentric LOOK AT ME I AM DOING A THING AND SHOUTING ABOUT IT

shit up beard man get fuck off.

Miriam Margoyles seems like a good person though, but if someone came up to me on my first day at work and said "sorry my girlfriend's cunt hairs are stuck in my teeth" I would think they were trying way too hard

ajsmith2

I liked it last year when she slagged off JK Rowling for her small mindedness on trans issues, proving that age and acclaim isn't any excuse for being a a smug hateful dick about that stuff.

This led amusingly/frustratingly to several JK stans replying with ignorant-tastic didn't bother to do cursory Google hot takes along the lines of with 'who does this mere actress think she is criticizing the Godhead Genius', unaware that MM was already well on her way to being a UK national treasure when JK was still shiteing in her nappies.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/miriam-margolyes-jk-rowling-transgender-views-harry-potter-daniel-radcliffe-emma-watson-a9615636.html

The Mollusk

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 23, 2021, 10:09:15 AM
I've a good mind to put up an altered version of that three panel cartoon about men cod- ironically saying nasty things about ladies, with the concluding paragraph bearing the legend " joke's on them, only * pretending* to find farts  funny ( Indeed, I * would* do this if my IT skills didnae make Graham Linehan look like Steve Jobs, or someone of that ilk)".

Yeah I mean you could do this but it would be redundant. My use of that comic was to highlight the flimsy one-ply bog roll veil of supposed irony that you drape over all the grossly unfunny sexist bollocks you continually post here every single day. Your intended use of that comic would be somehow implying that I'm being deliberately contrarian or ironic when I say that farts are funny, which is completely off the mark, since I seriously do think farts are funny. Just so we're clear.