Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:41:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Making Electronic Music

Started by chutnut, September 22, 2021, 02:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

I've discovered the most insanely convoluted yet genius way to get MIDI data into the MC 202 (a sequencer with built in synth from 1983, hence no MIDI capability) without the need for any 3rd party app or what have you. I feel like Victor Frankenstein or the protagonist of an HP Lovecraft story here - I feel I must set down my findings in writing before my mind succumbs to the madness. See, you can program the 202 sequencer one of three ways,

1) by entering first the note data (either through the speccy-like rubber keyboard, or via an external synth keyboard with CV/gate) then the note and gate lengths as numerical data - surgical yet time consuming (remember the 202 has only a 6-figure LCD calculator-type display),

2) playing along to the 202's click (actually beep) track - this should be the easy option, esp. using the external keyboard, but there is no quantising function, so you need to be bang on timing-wise,  and any mistakes are a time-consuming ball-ache to rectify, so much so you may as well stick with method 1. Finally

3) a combo if the two methods, where you enter the note data first, then use the two "tap" keys to play the melody along with the click - in practice this has the same drawbacks as method 2.

SO - I worked out that I can feed MIDI that I've edited and quantised in the computer, into the behinger SH 101 clone, which will output this as CV/gate info - combining this with the Behringer 808 clone's DINSync output providing clock and start-stop data,  this enables me to use method 1) to get perfect data into the MC202 every time.

Of course, the MC202 has no internal memory, so all sequences need to be stored as audio data, much like on a speccy or what have you, so I've ordered a dictaphone off aliexpress for a tenner that has jack ins and outs just for the purpose. This should mean I can potentially use the 202 live, should I so wish. Entering data this way is nothing new, I used to have to do this in my band when the internal battery went on my Korg Poly800 or the Juno106; I kept the backup data on an iPod and would load it in at soundcheck, to the utter bemusement of many a stage tech.

Nice video in the studio from Jordan Rakei, he's got some interesting techniques.

chutnut

Quote from: Rizla on October 08, 2021, 04:29:40 PM
I've discovered the most insanely convoluted yet genius way to get MIDI data into the MC 202 (a sequencer with built in synth from 1983, hence no MIDI capability) without the need for any 3rd party app or what have you. I feel like Victor Frankenstein or the protagonist of an HP Lovecraft story here - I feel I must set down my findings in writing before my mind succumbs to the madness. See, you can program the 202 sequencer one of three ways,

1) by entering first the note data (either through the speccy-like rubber keyboard, or via an external synth keyboard with CV/gate) then the note and gate lengths as numerical data - surgical yet time consuming (remember the 202 has only a 6-figure LCD calculator-type display),

2) playing along to the 202's click (actually beep) track - this should be the easy option, esp. using the external keyboard, but there is no quantising function, so you need to be bang on timing-wise,  and any mistakes are a time-consuming ball-ache to rectify, so much so you may as well stick with method 1. Finally

3) a combo if the two methods, where you enter the note data first, then use the two "tap" keys to play the melody along with the click - in practice this has the same drawbacks as method 2.

SO - I worked out that I can feed MIDI that I've edited and quantised in the computer, into the behinger SH 101 clone, which will output this as CV/gate info - combining this with the Behringer 808 clone's DINSync output providing clock and start-stop data,  this enables me to use method 1) to get perfect data into the MC202 every time.

Of course, the MC202 has no internal memory, so all sequences need to be stored as audio data, much like on a speccy or what have you, so I've ordered a dictaphone off aliexpress for a tenner that has jack ins and outs just for the purpose. This should mean I can potentially use the 202 live, should I so wish. Entering data this way is nothing new, I used to have to do this in my band when the internal battery went on my Korg Poly800 or the Juno106; I kept the backup data on an iPod and would load it in at soundcheck, to the utter bemusement of many a stage tech.

I go through phases of wanting to get a lot more hardware, but aside from the cost and space needed, this is the kind of thing that makes me think I don't really have a patience for it.
I was reading an old interview with Boards of Canada recently talking about how they're always working a huge amount of tracks at once going back and forward between them. And all I could think is what an absolute nightmare it must have been saving and re-loading all these tracks (as well as potentially having to rewire everything each time too). 

chutnut

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 11, 2021, 10:41:08 PM
Nice video in the studio from Jordan Rakei, he's got some interesting techniques.
Had a quick skim through this and looks pretty interesting, I'll have to properly watch it later on.
Extra marks for having an actual Rhodes!

Johnny Textface

Got my eye on the SP404 Mark II as a possible christmas present to myself. I had the SX but soon realised I couldn't sample into it while the thing was already playing samples, which turned out to be a complete none-starter for me. This update seems to show that Roland are really listening to their audience.

Quote from: Johnny Textface on October 19, 2021, 07:57:45 AM
SP404 Mark II

I've been watching some videos about them and you're right it looks like Roland have done a great job - just checked the price and £440 is very reasonable.

surreal

Glad I found this thread as I've been recently quite interested in messing about with a DAW - I've been using Cakewalk as there is plenty of info about it on YT and it's free and quite feature packed. 

However I've been struggling to do anything, as I've got older anything creative I try as a hobby seems to be suffocated by my need to do too much research rather than diving straight in and messing about that I would have done in my 20's.  Not sure why this happens but it means I'm not really putting too much together or saving anything.  Any tips for overcoming artistic paralysis?? Same thing happens when I play with Blender or try to do coding any more.  Seems I'd rather read/watch and live vicariously.  Speaking of which, the tracks listed in this thread are fantastic.

Anyway - I bought an MPK Mini which is pretty cool.  I saw a field recorder mentioned earlier in the thread, the Zoom hn2 I think?  Would I be able to do basic stuff with just my phone rather than shelling out for something like that just yet?

Quote from: surreal on October 30, 2021, 09:14:11 PM
Would I be able to do basic stuff with just my phone rather than shelling out for something like that just yet?

Your phone would be more than adequate for basic field recordings.

popcorn

Quote from: surreal on October 30, 2021, 09:14:11 PM
Anyway - I bought an MPK Mini which is pretty cool.  I saw a field recorder mentioned earlier in the thread, the Zoom hn2 I think?

Would I be able to do basic stuff with just my phone rather than shelling out for something like that just yet?

You mean to make field recordings, or record stuff like guitar, vocals etc?

TBH I think phone mics are pretty good these days (probably better than what musicians were using to make home demos a few decades ago) so you could probably record some stuff phone mics, mix it together and get half-decent results. With the right approach you can make very listenable stuff out of very little.

surreal

Quote from: popcorn on October 30, 2021, 11:08:53 PM
You mean to make field recordings, or record stuff like guitar, vocals etc?

Yeah, I've been messing about with sample packs to start with but wondered about recording some sounds myself.

popcorn

fastest way to find out is to try!

I'd experiment by recording in a small space (like a cupboard or in a room with lots of furniture and carpet - no hard surfaces like a kitchen or bathroom). And place the phone on something to deaden the sound like a blanket and try to aim it in more or less the direction of the thing you're recording. Then dump it into your DAW of choice and get chopping and processing. I imagine you could get decent results if you're not after something that sounds like a sparkling studio production.