Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:28:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spongebob [split topic]

Started by Cuellar, September 22, 2021, 12:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who's never seen an episode of Spongebob. It was never on when I was a kid, where the hell has it come from.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Cuellar on September 22, 2021, 12:46:56 PM
I feel like I'm the only person in the world who's never seen an episode of Spongebob. It was never on when I was a kid, where the hell has it come from.

How I summarise it is that SpongeBob and The Simpsons have several interesting parallels, even if SpongeBob's target audience is much younger.

- They both have "classic" seasons (for SpongeBob it's anything up to the first movie)

- For 90s/early 2000s kids, The Simpsons is their meme and shitpost language, for mid-2000s kids who are just now going to Uni it's SpongeBob. You may see people on Twitter posting memes from SpongeBob.

- The early seasons ARE really quite excellent. Look at Gloveworld or the Sea Bear episodes as examples, but SpongeBob's classic period is much shorter than The Simpsons (3 seasons, I think), compared to The Simpsons 10.

idunnosomename

Nickelodeon. It was on CITV in the 00s. I've always been of the opinion it's fine. I like the absurdity how there's almost no consequence of it being underwater.

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 22, 2021, 12:57:05 PM
Nickelodeon. It was on CITV in the 00s. I've always been of the opinion it's fine. I like the absurdity how there's almost no consequence of it being underwater.

I watched it with my young daughter early 00's on Nickelodeon - I think it was one of the free channels when cable was first piped into UK houses en masse.

Jockice

Quote from: Cuellar on September 22, 2021, 12:46:56 PM

I haven't!

Dr Rock

I've never seen Spongebob, but my then-wife had. One day I made a face that she thought looked like Spongebob, so I was nicknamed 'Sponge' which quickly changed to Punge, and that was how I referred to during the rest of our marriage, even the ugly bits towards the end.

JaDanketies

It's on Channel 5 after Milkshake on Saturdays, I believe. I love wacky animations for kids - the guy who voices SpongeBob (Tom Kenny) has voiced many of my favourite creations, and it's got a Ren and Stimpy feel with the animation. But it just never really grabbed me. Totally fine to watch though, there's nothing bad about it. Maybe Tom Kenny's voice is extra-annoying.

buttgammon

Oh, it's Tom Kenny (I've never seen it either)! He's also the voice of Spyro the Dragon, and a fine member of the cast on Mr Show with Bob and David.

retsuza

Quote from: buttgammon on September 22, 2021, 01:32:33 PM
Oh, it's Tom Kenny (I've never seen it either)! He's also the voice of Spyro the Dragon, and a fine member of the cast on Mr Show with Bob and David.

I grew up with Spongebob and Spyro and its bizarre to me you'd know who Tom Kenny is but not that he voices Spongebob. He's done lots of great voice roles since anyhow, I like him as Squanchy in Rick and Morty.

This bloke voices the crab guy in Spongebob too. While we're at it.

madhair60

The episode "Band Geeks" is a top tier episode of anything ever as far as I'm concerned

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: madhair60 on September 22, 2021, 02:20:20 PM
The episode "Band Geeks" is a top tier episode of anything ever as far as I'm concerned

The first few seasons of SpongeBob are genuinely 10/10 stuff for me. The SeaBear attack is one of the funniest things I've seen during that early-2000s run of comedy.

GoblinAhFuckScary

It's a great show, I used to be quite happy to watch it without the children there if it was on.

The reveal of the "lost episode" after all the build up was a classic.

racecar bed indy 500

The Chocolate episode and the krusty krab pizza episode. *chef's kiss*
Also the one where Plankton and Krabs switch lives so Mr Krabs is scheming and running around naked.
Also also the Alaskan Bull Worm one.

madhair60

the first movie is an absolute treat to watch, constant funny drawings, proper high budget 2D. also hungover Spongebob will never not be funny

Magnum Valentino

I was thinking aloud about Bill Faggerbakke recently and my wife refused to believe he was a real person, and while looking up his credits to say "you've seen him in THIS for fuck's sake" I was astonished to learn he plays Patrick in this, because of course he does.

Similarly to some above, I've never been able to put aside the mental feeling that this show's for other people. I like lots of kids' comedies (Dexter's Lab's probably my favourite of all time) but Spongebob never stuck. Will check out Band Geeks per Madhair's suggestion.

madhair60

also love the comic rhythm of Squidward's tentacles sticking to the ground every time he walks anywhere

I hope you like Band Geeks, the first time I saw it my jaw was on the floor

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 22, 2021, 03:50:22 PM
I was thinking aloud about Bill Faggerbakke recently and my wife refused to believe he was a real person, and while looking up his credits to say "you've seen him in THIS for fuck's sake" I was astonished to learn he plays Patrick in this, because of course he does.

Similarly to some above, I've never been able to put aside the mental feeling that this show's for other people. I like lots of kids' comedies (Dexter's Lab's probably my favourite of all time) but Spongebob never stuck. Will check out Band Geeks per Madhair's suggestion.

I'd also highly recommend The Camping Episode and Glove World! Two top-tier episodes.

bobloblaw

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on September 22, 2021, 03:57:05 PM
I'd also highly recommend The Camping Episode and Glove World! Two top-tier episodes.

Also: Idiot Box. Classic Chuck Jones energy in that one with the idiots effortlessly frustrating the easily disgruntled, coupled with bizarro internal logic.

Lemming

IT'S SO SIMPLE! ONLY TEN WORDS!

WHAT I LEARNED IN BOATING SCHOOL IS:
BLANKETY
BLANKETY
BLANK

As long as people are listing highlights, the final minute or so of Employee of the Month is the funniest thing ever created. LOOK MR KRABS - CLEAN FLOORS! I'M PUTTING MY OWN MONEY INTO THE REGISTER, MR KRABS!

Catalogue Trousers

I'm Your Biggest Fanatic.

Waarp waaarp waaaaarp.

That is all.

Pink Gregory

"People talk loud when they want to sound smart, right?"

"CORRECT!"

Blue Jam

I saw quite a bit of it in the 2000's as a friend of mine had kids then and watched it with them and got really into it himself and then got me into it. I wasn't aware there was a classic period, I've only seen the first couple of series but I think it's pretty great, a bit like a child-friendly Ren & Stimpy.

Bit weird watching Mr. Show now and hearing "SpongeBob" every few minutes. Love hearing Tom Kenny's voice in Prey too, as the voice of the infuriatingly chirpy Medical Operator robot. Best bit of video game voice casting ever.

madhair60

Chriddof

Past guest stars in Spongebob have included Christopher Guest, Mark Hamill[nb]who's pivoted into being a voice actor these days - he's played The Joker in animated Batman loads of times[/nb], Ian McShane, Dee Snider of Twisted Sister, Gregg Turkington, Johnny Knoxville, Steve Buscemi, Biz Markie, and last but not least, Rik Mayall and Nigel Planer (who played two British monkeys if I'm remembering that episode right).

Pink Gregory

Quote from: madhair60 on September 22, 2021, 04:50:17 PM
"too bad that didn't kill me."

I love how long Patrick draws out "Is mayonnaise an instrument?"

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Saw bits of it as a kid, never properly got into it though. I was a very logical child and I didn't like the inconsistency of whether it was set underwater or not (eg fire, cups of liquid etc)

Magnum Valentino

What's the one that sometimes comes up in lists of the best jokes ever that's from this?