Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:42:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spongebob [split topic]

Started by Cuellar, September 22, 2021, 12:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomasrojo

Quote from: Chriddof on September 22, 2021, 04:59:06 PM
Past guest stars in Spongebob have included Christopher Guest, Mark Hamill[nb]who's pivoted into being a voice actor these days - he's played The Joker in animated Batman loads of times[/nb], Ian McShane, Dee Snider of Twisted Sister, Gregg Turkington, Johnny Knoxville, Steve Buscemi, Biz Markie, and last but not least, Rik Mayall and Nigel Planer (who played two British monkeys if I'm remembering that episode right).

And David Bowie?

Uncle TechTip

Ernest Borgine as Mermaid Man as well, these are all excellent episodes but the one where Barnacle Boy switches to EVILLL is the best. Tell him we want world domination!

Jumblegraws

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 22, 2021, 03:12:11 PM

Love that episode, and the Frying Dutchman one too. I've not seen a lot of Spongebob, even though what I have seen I think is great. Are there any other good horror-themed eps?

Chriddof

Quote from: tomasrojo on September 22, 2021, 06:46:06 PM
And David Bowie?

I thought Bowie had been in it, and he was, but I couldn't find his name in IMDB and started to doubt myself. Another reminder for me to not completely trust IMDB, or maybe just read things properly.

tomasrojo

Yeah, I thought he'd been in it, but then thought I'd mixed it up with another clever kids' show.

Share the love others here have for SpongeBob. The episode when they learn the swearword off the dumpster is excellent. Especially when SpongeBob says the word over the intercom, and a customer says something like "The guy's got talent. He doesn't have to go blue."

Kankurette

If I had a quid for every time someone asked me if my cat was named after Gary the Snail from Spongebob, I'd be able to buy a Spongebob box set. I've only watched one episode.

Incidentally, the theme tune sounds great backwards. SMAAAALLLL PEAAAARL'S SMALL BLOUSE!

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Chriddof on September 22, 2021, 04:59:06 PM
...and last but not least, Rik Mayall and Nigel Planer (who played two British monkeys if I'm remembering that episode right).

To be precise, British chimpanzees, in the episode Chimps Ahoy - and, better still, there were three of them, and the third was voiced by Ade Edmondson. So close to a full Young Ones reunion!

QuoteI thought Bowie had been in it, and he was, but I couldn't find his name in IMDB and started to doubt myself. Another reminder for me to not completely trust IMDB, or maybe just read things properly.

He's Lord Royal Highness, the ruler of Atlantis, in Atlantis Squarepantis.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Kankurette on September 22, 2021, 09:14:39 PM
Incidentally, the theme tune sounds great backwards. SMAAAALLLL PEAAAARL'S SMALL BLOUSE!

vintage. thanks kankurette for bringing me back to a simpler (internet) time

Blue Jam

The theme sounds better in Spanish as well:

¡Bob Esponga!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on September 22, 2021, 10:32:30 PM
[Bowie]'s Lord Royal Highness, the ruler of Atlantis, in Atlantis Squarepantis.

I never knew this and have now fallen down a proper SpongeBob rabbit hole:

https://youtu.be/Q60DkTAnYp4

Spoiler alert
Oblique Strategies!
[close]

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on September 22, 2021, 07:03:53 PM
Ernest Borgine as Mermaid Man as well, these are all excellent episodes but the one where Barnacle Boy switches to EVILLL is the best. Tell him we want world domination!

And Tim Conway as Barnacle Boy - both had been in McHale's Navy, Hillenburg was a massive fan and had them in mind for their SpongeBob characters.

There's a nice video of Borgnine talking about playing Mermaid Man - https://youtu.be/AsHhZ_bnpQg - he mentions being asked to say hello to a group of Girl Scouts, with the leader explaining he was famous actor and when he realised they had no idea who he was, he asked them if they had seen SpongeBob...

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on September 22, 2021, 10:32:30 PM
To be precise, British chimpanzees, in the episode Chimps Ahoy - and, better still, there were three of them, and the third was voiced by Ade Edmondson. So close to a full Young Ones reunion!

It was close - but it was Ryan, rather than Edmondson, who was the third professor.

Ignatius_S

Michael McKean and David Lander we're also reunited for one episode.

One of the things I like about SpongeBob is just how good a lot of the guest stars are.

Pink Gregory

Apart from Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy, any guest VAs were featured when the whole thing was past it (post-movie?).

I say past it, here I was watching a children's cartoon, but I didn't have much love for it past a certain point.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 23, 2021, 01:55:52 PM
Apart from Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy, any guest VAs were featured when the whole thing was past it (post-movie?).

I say past it, here I was watching a children's cartoon, but I didn't have much love for it past a certain point.

Nah, lots of there were rather a lot of guest stars in the show before the first movie - Lux Interior, what more do you want?

Pink Gregory

I'll admit I'm unfamiliar with that one.

Oh christ obviously John Rhys-Davies as Man Ray as well, and whoever it is that plays the Dirty Bubble

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 23, 2021, 02:27:07 PM

Lux voices the puppet lead singer of the Bird Brains in the live-action segments of SpongeBob's House Party.

QuoteIt was close - but it was Ryan, rather than Edmondson, who was the third professor.

Oops! You're right - I remembered the wrong Scumbag alumnus.

QuoteI never knew this and have now fallen down a proper SpongeBob rabbit hole

I like the nice little touch that they give Bowie's Atlantean heterochromic eyes.

A quick little trivia question (no Googling): which two major actors in SpongeBob also appear in Escape From New York?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on September 23, 2021, 06:11:00 PMOops! You're right - I remembered the wrong Scumbag alumnus.

I like the nice little touch that they give Bowie's Atlantean heterochromic eyes.

A quick little trivia question (no Googling): which two major actors in SpongeBob also appear in Escape From New York?

And to be fair, that's the three that would spring to mind usually!

Absolutely - a lovely touch.

I do know that answer, but mainly because of the character they play, I was intrigued to know what else the actor had done... and that film was a definite turn-up for the books!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 23, 2021, 02:27:07 PM

Oh christ obviously John Rhys-Davies as Man Ray as well, and whoever it is that plays the Dirty Bubble

In fairness, the names of guest stars had greater cachet from season 4 so I think a point can be made about that.

As for the show being past it after the first movie, nah!

The Lurker

Ended up watching some guy's YouTube podcast on Spongebob conspiracy theories which was pretty interesting and well researched. I then ended up going down a YouTube rabbit hole of random Spongebob clips so this thread brings me joy

Blue Jam

dead-ced-dead

The Mollusk

Quote from: Ignatius_S on September 23, 2021, 01:20:57 PM
There's a nice video of Borgnine talking about playing Mermaid Man - https://youtu.be/AsHhZ_bnpQg - he mentions being asked to say hello to a group of Girl Scouts, with the leader explaining he was famous actor and when he realised they had no idea who he was, he asked them if they had seen SpongeBob...

I like that this is somewhat similar (in a deliberately inverted way) to the joke in The Simpsons episode "Boy Scoutz n' the Hood" where Borgnine says "You kids might know me best as Sgt 'Fatso' Judson in From Here to Eternity!"

The Lurker

Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets

Sherman Krank

Without SpongeBob there would be no Spongy Bob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68mb97t87y4

Spoiler alert
BTW - That's in your head forever now.
[close]

racecar bed indy 500

Quote from: Sherman Krank on September 24, 2021, 08:01:20 PM
Without SpongeBob there would be no Spongy Bob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68mb97t87y4

Spoiler alert
BTW - That's in your head forever now.
[close]

This is catchier than any song ever has a right to be

a peepee tipi

There's one segment where, instead of the usual soundtrack, most of the music is done by Pantera and just seeing the title card with that font reading "Featuring music by Pantera" makes me grin from ear to ear. The older eps were filled to the brim with jokes. It definitely went over my head at the time, but that "He doesn't need to go blue" joke shared upthread makes me want to go back through the pre-movie run. I also remember one where SpongeBob does stand-up and offends his squirrel friend Sandy with a routine about squirrels, then wins her and the crowd over by shitting on all of the different species in audience as well

This scene fucking terrified me as a kid: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E2-AnDdgIF4

Blue Jam

Quote from: a peepee tipi
This scene fucking terrified me as a kid: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E2-AnDdgIF4

That's great! Bit Yellow Submarine.

The episode where SpongeBob goes to Mrs Puff for driving lessons and she has a nervous breakdown and ends up in a padded cell is another one that freaked me out (as an adult):

https://youtu.be/JcdAlkfS9QI

The Ombudsman

Doesn't Matt Berry play Titan?

tinner777

loved human resources in selling out