Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:01:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tape

Started by Rizla, September 22, 2021, 03:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Christ alive. Christ on his fucking cross. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt5DdxnSR5o

Christ.

Ohohohoh!
Big laugh at her breaking down in front of the dead seal :D

These are the sort of self absorbed shafts of shit you'd be more than happy to endure for half an hour in a horror film, understanding that they were going to get beaten to death or have their souls gobbled by ghosts at some point, but, I'm guessing that doesn't happen in this.

Small Man Big Horse

Seems like the definition of a vanity project given she's written, directed and stars in it as well as providing the music, and the central character is supposedly an amazing musician we should be all amazed by. Perhaps I'm being too harsh but the trailer's really awful, and though her music is okay it doesn't particularly do anything for me.

checkoutgirl

What's the dramatic arc to this? She makes a tape, someone finds it and plays it on the radio then she gets a gig at the end. Is that it?

sevendaughters

a good old fashioned no-pretences-about-subtext vanity project the kind of which we don't get enough of anymore

ProvanFan

Maybe there's a twist ahhhhh

dissolute ocelot

Fuck I wish I could afford to make a film where everybody says I'm wonderful for 90 minutes.

I could just about take a slightly dull film about a hippy drop-out in an awkward relationship with a high-flying banker, if it was honest and incisive about both of their flaws and knew what it wanted to say. But fuck this: woman writes song, people like song, that's not a drama, that's a TV commercial. Also would help if the music was less dull.

Maybe the twist is that at the end everybody forgets about her entirely. Except for one poor busker, who's eaten by the dead seal's mum.

ProvanFan

She's the only person in the world who remembers the songs of Seal, and the dead seal scene is an expression of her guilt about nicking them.

Rizla

She finds a four-track in a drawer in a house she's looking after - does she also find the mic and pop shield and all the leads, headphones etc? And an unused TDK SA-90? Some q-tips and isopropyl alcohol? Most 4-tracks of that era tended to only run at 3.5 ips, so unless there was also a standard hi-fi tape deck to mix it all down onto, whoever found the tape would have heard the music at half speed, with half the tracks playing in reverse (probably be more interesting to listen to). 4-track cassette recording, as many here will know, was a massive faff to get decent results. Piano in tune, was it?  Maybe the kind bald man (wonder what name he posts under) sorts all that for her.  Does she not have a laptop? I suppose not; she is, after all, "chaos in wellies".

checkoutgirl

Executive Producer Martha Tilson
Music by Martha Tilson
Written by Martha Tilson
Directed by Martha Tilson

I can see two uses for this film. First as a piece of homework for a film school student, i.e do not make a film like this. Second as a vanity project double bill with The Room for a late night showing. Everybody gets pissed up on booze, it could work as a comedy.

Rizla

The Gape.

Hank Venture

I think you are all being very cynical and negative. This looks delightful.

Dex Sawash

Certainly seems to be too big to simply add it to the this'll be shit, I reckon thread.

badaids

Does Adolf Eichmann, or his ghost appear in this at any point?

Cuellar

Midas

I'd like to see a version of this trailer re-graded and re-scored to make it look like a horror film. Might even try it myself.

Lots of potential.

Head Gardener

Sebastian Cobb

I look forward to watching Hippie Plays with Portastudio: The Film

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Midas on September 22, 2021, 07:34:18 PM
I'd like to see a version of this trailer re-graded and re-scored to make it look like a horror film. Might even try it myself.

Lots of potential.

Do you reckon you could make it look like Bait?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 22, 2021, 04:45:17 PM
Fuck I wish I could afford to make a film where everybody says I'm wonderful for 90 minutes.

I could just about take a slightly dull film about a hippy drop-out in an awkward relationship with a high-flying banker, if it was honest and incisive about both of their flaws and knew what it wanted to say. But fuck this: woman writes song, people like song, that's not a drama, that's a TV commercial. Also would help if the music was less dull.

Maybe the twist is that at the end everybody forgets about her entirely. Except for one poor busker, who's eaten by the dead seal's mum.

Wrong way, down a one way street!

Sebastian Cobb

QuoteWhen corporate lawyer Leo is drawn into Tally's world of music and mythology, the implications ricochet through both their lives with the tape acting as a talisman, helping those who encounter it to truly come alive.

Hank Venture

Went to see this tonight. Wasn't expecting many people, but the cinema was packed. It was pretty good, honestly. Think I'll see it again this weekend.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Head Gardener on September 22, 2021, 09:06:30 PM
the cooler of The Tape is due soon https://youtu.be/LfrAaWo74W0

God dammit, I was going to do meditative mood piece with droning sounds based on discovered microcassettes! Swear to god. Don't have it written yet, and no camera or crew or experience or anything, but still.

Hank Venture

Quote from: Hank Venture on September 23, 2021, 07:13:03 PM
Went to see this tonight. Wasn't expecting many people, but the cinema was packed. It was pretty good, honestly. Think I'll see it again this weekend.

In IMAX btw.

lazyhour

Incredible non-acting throughout the whole trailer. Pumped to see this.

Rizla

EDIT shut up rizla u boring old twat

Icehaven

Horrible. Horrible horrible horrible.

Glennhoddleishavingagoal

Thank you corporate lawyer for your true commitment to the arts for their own sake, despite my reservations you really knew what was best; I guess you guys are kind of alright.

Rev+

Done it's job though, hasn't it?  We're all gonna watch it.

Shaky

A frothing and envious Michael Flatley watches and kicks his dog.