Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:08:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that take you right out of a film

Started by Gregory Torso, September 22, 2021, 09:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

You mean something like the trope where the people in the films shown on Eurotrash used to be dubbed into English but with outrageous comedy voices and various British accents - but in a more subtle, less comedic way - so that all the characters have age and class appropriate voices. The officers in the Imitation Game speak formal British English, and the 'other ranks' speak a more demotic, colloquial English (and the same for the Old Norse warriors).

I guess what grates is when the writers or the actors don't have the ear for these different voices.

popcorn

I actually had the opposite problem in God of War - I hated how Kratos spoke in his formal godly way without contractions. So he'd say something like "Do not do this" instead of "Don't do this". Clearly a highly deliberate choice by the writers but I thought it was just so fucking forced and made him sound ridiculous and pretentious rather than badass/epic/godly/etc.

Note: I fucking hated God of War.

Brundle-Fly

A naked Stephen Fry in one of those Robert Downey Jnr Sherlock Holmes films. I saw it on the big screen and I could hear almost the entire audience mutter, "Oh, for fuck's sake."

Icehaven

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on September 30, 2021, 06:46:16 PM
Actors holding takeway coffee cups that clearly have nothing in at all.  Can't explain how it looks different to someone holding a full cup, it just does.  First noticed it years ago and now can't un-notice it.

Also when someone "drinks" from an obviously empty cup. They don't swallow and often start talking when they'd still have a mouth and/or throat full of coffee.

Yeah, or they'll swallow a bit too dramatically.

I know exactly what you mean about knowing it's empty, there must be some very obvious tells that our brains are picking up on instinctively that we're having a hard time expressing.
Maybe once this whole covid thing is sorted we can get the boffins working that one out.

Custard

Quote from: Mr Banlon on September 24, 2021, 11:45:13 PM
I think the worst fake photo is from In the Line of Fire. The photo is supposed to be of Clint's (Secret Service) character in 1963 running alongside Kennedy's motorcade in Dallas. They've just badly pasted a photo of him from A Fist Full of Dollars over an original picture from that day. He's wearing a hat and fucking poncho.

Laughed way too loudly at that. Amazing

mothman

Though I feel obligated to point out the photos were actually from Coogan's Bluff I think, he was given a digital haircut, and they were considered pretty good at the time.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 03, 2021, 12:35:23 AM
A gigabyte of ram should do the trick!
Oh god, yes. Any discussion of computers where the allegedly incredible processing power would just about power a washing machine these days.