Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:47:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that take you right out of a film

Started by Gregory Torso, September 22, 2021, 09:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProvanFan

Teenagers played by 30 year olds (not counting PEN15)

When an actor you only know from British TV crops up in a Hollywood film, that bursts the bubble.

Also if they show "the future" but it's a year that's now already happened, it's hard not to smirk.

Chedney Honks

Tron Legacy

It's OK

OH THERE'S DAFT PUNK

Daft Punk are bigger than Tron Legacy.

OH THERE'S A WAXWORK CGI JEFF

phantom_power

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 23, 2021, 04:45:48 PM
Anthony Hopkins and Marlon Brando. Despite their differences, both actors who once you notice the contrived mannerisms they bring to every part, it's unwatchable.

For me it's Jared Leto or Taron Egerton

Inspector Norse

Quote from: phantom_power on September 23, 2021, 07:56:38 PM
For me it's Jared Leto or Taron Egerton
Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 23, 2021, 04:45:48 PM
Anthony Hopkins and Marlon Brando. Despite their differences, both actors who once you notice the contrived mannerisms they bring to every part, it's unwatchable.

Mentioned it on the recent films thread after watching Mystic River the other day, but the one for me is Seany Penn who plays every role like he's in The Mask.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 23, 2021, 05:41:08 PM
I quite often pause record shop scenes to have a butchers at what's on sale.

Ha, I do this too. Also if there's a scene where characters go to see a band I always look at the posters on the walls of the venue.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 23, 2021, 11:41:12 AMAnything like that I love; drinks, meals, I'm always keeping an eye on how much everyone has got left, and remarking on how it changes for a new camera angle.

For some reason the one I always remember is in Soderbergh's Solaris remake, when in one of the flashback scenes George Clooney and Natasha McElhone are eating noodles, except they're not really eating noodles, they're lying naked on a bed together and every now and then one of them picks up a bowl of noodles from the floor and eats a mouthful. With chopsticks, of course. The film was bobbins anyway but that was the point at which I turned off.

mothman

BJBMK2

Stock SFX is the worst for this, nothing breaks emersion for me more then hearing the generic "punch" noise, or that stock sound effect of kids playing/laughing, that you hear in ALL things. All films produced. I had to go and see one of those terrible CGI Clash Of The Titans films that came out in the early 2010's, and it was heard in that. The sounds of 1950's (I assume), children. Playing in 250-whatever, BC.

None of this applies to the Wilhelm scream. That should be in every film. Even if the film doesn't feature a scene of a man screaming, or falling off a ledge.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: BJBMK2 on September 23, 2021, 09:46:44 PM
that stock sound effect of kids playing/laughing, that you hear in ALL things. All films produced. I had to go and see one of those terrible CGI Clash Of The Titans films that came out in the early 2010's, and it was heard in that. The sounds of 1950's (I assume), children. Playing in 250-whatever, BC.
I mentioned that exact sound effect (I assume) in the clichés thread.

Wilhelm Scream, yes. Howie Scream, no.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUTe2ndjRew

Mr Trumpet

When we got our second(?) family PC it came bundled with the 3D Movie Maker programme, which was good fun and included a load of stock sounds including an electric zap effect that I still hear all the time in TV and films.

ProvanFan

I know exactly what you mean.

Can't help picturing this lad every time:

Hey hey!

Noodle Lizard

School bullies. No matter how earnest or realistic the film may be, when a "school bully" turns up it's as if the filmmaker's only source of reference is after-school specials. Just a lot of "Hey, loser", "Hey, freak", "Why you being all freaky and losery and such?"

I feel like I had a pretty ordinary exposure to bullying as a child - both on the receiving end and somewhat on the dealing it out end - but I've never seen anything like this. It's usually far more specific than generic "loser" talk; often "jokey-but-not-really", or snarlingly subtle disrespect. Or just plain mean and aggressive. But it's never "Hey, LOOOOOOSER". Perhaps I just went to all the wrong schools and missed out on that class of school bully. Or perhaps the ones at my schools were of a higher quality.

Silly as it is, Grease did an okay job with the constant mistreatment of the character Eugene to the point where the eagle-eyed viewer can see him loading an AK in the clock-tower during the final musical number.

Noodle Lizard

Stock SFX is the worst for this, nothing breaks emersion for me more then hearing the generic "punch" noise

There's a fantastic collection of them in the finale of Event Horizon, with Laurence Fishburne whacking a demony Sam Neill with a big pole: https://youtu.be/giiuqTdBSTc?t=51

13 schoolyards

Stock SFX is the worst for this

I saw this in a cinema, can confirm the sound on this footage has not been altered in any way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Dfi-b-qns

Stock SFX is the worst for this, nothing breaks emersion for me more then hearing the generic "punch" noise, or that stock sound effect of kids playing/laughing, that you hear in ALL things. All films produced. I had to go and see one of those terrible CGI Clash Of The Titans films that came out in the early 2010's, and it was heard in that. The sounds of 1950's (I assume), children. Playing in 250-whatever, BC.

None of this applies to the Wilhelm scream. That should be in every film. Even if the film doesn't feature a scene of a man screaming, or falling off a ledge.

I remember in the 70s the BBC had a single stock sound-effect for windows breaking.  I always recognised the same rhythm for the noise of shattering glass.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on September 23, 2021, 10:16:20 PM
When we got our second(?) family PC it came bundled with the 3D Movie Maker programme, which was good fun and included a load of stock sounds including an electric zap effect that I still hear all the time in TV and films.
Off topic, but this has just rebooted some forgotten nostalgia in my mind. My first PC had the Nickelodeon version of this included, I remember making loads and loads of Powdered Toast Man cartoons on it. I didn't even know there was a non-Nickelodeon version before now.

dissolute ocelot

A lot of older (e.g. 70s and 80s) movies and TV use the same few stock images for things like planes landing and taking off, generally with no attempt to match the filmstock or weather or location or anything. Modern digital video processing has slightly improved this, but you'd think someone back in the day would have gone around filming a few airports in different ways at different times of year and sold them on, rather than screaming "WE'RE CHEAP AND LAZY" at the audience.

gilbertharding

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 23, 2021, 11:41:12 AM
Cigarettes are my favourite, but nothing quite beats lighting a cigarette dramatically, taking a single dramatic drag out of it, and then dramatically stubbing it out. Who even needs to take more than one drag on a cigarette? Not this beautiful woman, that's for certain! Who does that even work for? Never-smokers who find cigarettes sexy but have never watched anyone smoke one?

And actors who don't smoke, smoking cigarettes and getting the inhale wrong. Smoking them like a cigar, taking in a mouthful and blowing it out without it ever going into the lungs.

They always seem to use a Zippo lighter, too. I dunno about America, but there were no Zippo lighters in Britain until the late 80s at least - everyone used matches. Lighters were made by Ronson (if posh, and/or in the olden days) or Clipper, if younger.

Do you inhale cigar smoke? Seriously not sure about that.

gilbertharding

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 24, 2021, 10:33:57 AM
A lot of older (e.g. 70s and 80s) movies and TV use the same few stock images for things like planes landing and taking off, generally with no attempt to match the filmstock or weather or location or anything. Modern digital video processing has slightly improved this, but you'd think someone back in the day would have gone around filming a few airports in different ways at different times of year and sold them on, rather than screaming "WE'RE CHEAP AND LAZY" at the audience.

Unlike that white Mark 1 Jaguar which leaps into the ITC Land chalk pit over, and over again (sometimes from right to left, occasionally from left to right) and is charmingly quirky not lazy and distracting.

Thomas

When there's a famous person in it. If I sit down to watch a film and there's suddenly some famous person in it, my suspension of disbelief is gone.

Are you mad? I can't watch Mystic Pizza, it's got Julia Roberts in it. That sort of thing. The Italian Job is another one (Michael Caine).

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 24, 2021, 05:47:24 AM
I remember in the 70s the BBC had a single stock sound-effect for windows breaking.  I always recognised the same rhythm for the noise of shattering glass.

My dad had volumes of BBC sound effects. I always hear the same baby crying sound in nearly everything on the telly. It's weird how you lock on to these things.

JaDanketies

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 24, 2021, 11:06:43 AM
Do you inhale cigar smoke? Seriously not sure about that.

You're no supposed to but I do maybe a little bit.

beanheadmcginty

When someone looks at an old family photograph and it's clearly the actors' heads superimposed into the shot. They have never got this right. It still happens in modern films. How can modern CGI not fix this?

Mr Trumpet

I was going to say recasting but that's more of a TV problem. So instead i'll say laughably dissimilar stunt doubles.

BJBMK2

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on September 24, 2021, 01:59:51 PM
I was going to say recasting but that's more of a TV problem. So instead i'll say laughably dissimilar stunt doubles.

The combo of your post and avatar, reminded me of the bit that always takes me out of the film, in Terminator 2:

It's not like a quick second shot either, we linger on this bloke is not obviously not Arnie, and the 35 year old man playing an 11 year old boy,  for a good 5 seconds or so. The HD restoration does that film no favours sometimes.

mothman

^ There's a really bad stunt in Face/Off where two stuntmen who are plainly neither John Travolta nor Nicolas Cage fly through the air in slow motion facing the camera for about 20 seconds.

El Unicornio, mang

People in the background of location scenes who aren't paid extras, standing around watching the action unfold. You see this quite a lot in 80s movies set in places like NYC where they obviously can't cordon off several blocks at a time and there'll be a load of people standing there just staring at Judge Reinhold hailing a taxi or whatever.

There was also one, I think it was Deep Impact or something where they had a crowd of people running away from a devastating explosion and if you look closely a load of them are laughing/smiling as they run towards the camera.

Dex Sawash