Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:58:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that take you right out of a film

Started by Gregory Torso, September 22, 2021, 09:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Banlon

Quote from: mothman on September 23, 2021, 09:33:39 PM
Jim from Neighbours.
Also Charlie Chisholm from Minder, or Lt Gruber from 'Allo 'Allo

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Mister Six on September 23, 2021, 03:30:27 AM
Or, conversely, a period piece where everyone is driving that year's (or at least that decade's) model of car or whatever, when in reality you'd have rust buckets from preceding decades cluttering up the roads, and naff, out-of-fashion curtains in the living room.
But sure enough, when there's a car crash (when the hero speeds through an intersection causing the cross-traffic to swerve and collide into each other) the crashed cars are 20 year old clunkers.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Mr Banlon on September 24, 2021, 04:26:08 PM
But sure enough, when there's a car crash (when the hero speeds through an intersection causing the cross-traffic to swerve and collide into each other) the crashed cars are 20 year old clunkers.

That always happens in (not a film) The Professionals. Anything which isn't a new Ford is pretty much marked for death - you can see it a mile off. Patched up 1970 Vauxhall? It's going to explode or rollover, sure as eggs is eggs.

mothman

And if it's a white Rolls Royce (or, occasionally, a white saloon car of ANY make) you know it's going off a cliff.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 23, 2021, 06:46:52 PM
Also if they show "the future" but it's a year that's now already happened, it's hard not to smirk.
I did a Letterboxd list of these, if you have any more suggestions please let me know.

https://letterboxd.com/famous_mortimer/list/the-future-already-happened/

SteveDave

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 24, 2021, 01:45:23 PM
When someone looks at an old family photograph and it's clearly the actors' heads superimposed into the shot. They have never got this right. It still happens in modern films. How can modern CGI not fix this?

The only good one of these I've seen was in "Hot Fuzz" with a young Jim Broadbent and a younger Nick Frost.

But looking at it in the cold light of day, it still looks a bit shonky.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 24, 2021, 01:45:23 PM
When someone looks at an old family photograph and it's clearly the actors' heads superimposed into the shot. They have never got this right. It still happens in modern films. How can modern CGI not fix this?

David Lynch made fun of this in twin peaks.

Aye, it always looks really shonking, and for no good reason.

holyzombiejesus

Gigs and nightclub scenes.

Whenever I see gigs in films I can practically hear the little pep talk that the director(?) gives to the extras beforehand.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on September 24, 2021, 08:23:28 PM

Is that Julie Burchill and Tony Parson's wedding photo ?
I think the worst fake photo is from In the Line of Fire. The photo is supposed to be of Clint's (Secret Service) character in 1963 running alongside Kennedy's motorcade in Dallas. They've just badly pasted a photo of him from A Fist Full of Dollars over an original picture from that day. He's wearing a hat and fucking poncho.

Glennhoddleishavingagoal

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 24, 2021, 11:38:18 PM
Gigs and nightclub scenes.

Whenever I see gigs in films I can practically hear the little pep talk that the director(?) gives to the extras beforehand.

Agree in general but there must be plenty of exceptions to that?

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in Wings of Desire springs to mind as an excellent example of a gig scene for instance.

Edit: And not a film but while still on Twin Peaks the Julee Cruise stuff is brilliant too.

PlanktonSideburns

Brrr that's really creepy. Felt similar in that mad bit where they cgi lynch's arms waiving around like a marionette, like something from vic and bob

Brundle-Fly

First person perspective* of somebody in the sea/ a lake/ a river etc with droplets of water on the camera lens and bubbling muffled hearing.

*While we're here, the use of first person perspective in tv soaps. No, do NOT break the convention, fancypants director, we are not allowed to be in Phil Mitchell's addled head stumbling to the Arches at midnight, us viewers are always only ever invisible observers in the goings on of Albert Square.

neveragain

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 24, 2021, 11:38:18 PM
director(?)

2nd or 3rd Assistant Director usually, the lowest rung on the directorial ladder.

Dusty Substance

When a reference is made to a real-life actor and there's a character in the film played by an actor who has appeared alongside said actor being referenced. Not in a clever meta way.

Can't think of any specific example right now, but this kind of thing used to drive me nuts as a youngster.*

"So, it that actor exists in this film's universe, does that mean the actor playing the character exists in this film's universe too?"

famethrowa

I was quite shocked and horrified to see a scene in the Motley Crue movie, supposedly a gig in 1981, where the keyboard player was blatantly playing a Juno-106, a keyboard that was not released until 1984. Shameful.

Also just as bad, a miniseries about INXS, depicting a Korg M1 on stage in 1986. Come ON people

Waking Life

Meetings or interviews being extremely short. While it's not something you'd necessarily want to bog down a film's running time with, people will often arrange a meeting that starts and ends within the space of a few minutes. Job interviews too. Occasionally the clip will suggest you're joining a mid point, but it rarely feels naturalistic - just obvious plot beats.

As much as I enjoy Willem Dafoe's Huey Lewis chat in American Psycho, this is a particularly prominent example of the above. He makes an appointment with Bateman (supposedly a tricky task), but is in and out within a few minutes. Although Dafoe plays him quite enigmatic and is ostensibly just trying to establish knowledge of whereabouts, he's implied to be a good detective; seems really incongruous not to be having a more detailed chat, especially as it seems obvious Bateman is bullshitting.

Breaking of the fourth wall, except in the sort of zany comedy where anything goes and realism is eschewed.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 25, 2021, 01:06:14 AM
When a reference is made to a real-life actor and there's a character in the film played by an actor who has appeared alongside said actor being referenced. Not in a clever meta way.

Can't think of any specific example right now, but this kind of thing used to drive me nuts as a youngster.*

"So, it that actor exists in this film's universe, does that mean the actor playing the character exists in this film's universe too?"

Annie Hall mentions Frank Sinatra, who of course would would marry Mia Farrow, before her disastrous long-term relationship with Woody Allen.

Butchers Blind

That thing where its supposed to be a certain time of year, say summer, but looking at the bare trees in the background, you know the film was made in winter.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Mister Six on September 23, 2021, 03:30:27 AM
Or, conversely, a period piece where everyone is driving that year's (or at least that decade's) model of car or whatever, when in reality you'd have rust buckets from preceding decades cluttering up the roads, and naff, out-of-fashion curtains in the living room.

That's a problem with all tv and film stuff that's set in an 'era' for me, everything is of that time only, it's a mistake repeated since forever.

Mr Banlon

Frankie Valli and the musical Jersey Boys are mentioned several times in The Sopranos. Frankie Valli plays Rusty Millio in the Sopranos.
Also, Goodfellas being talked about in The Sopranos when a bunch of the cast were also in Goodfellas.
This : https://youtu.be/MwmcmYwQQTE?t=35

Famous Mortimer

That thing where someone has memories which are in third person. Or when they use a still from a movie as a "photograph", but all the actors aren't looking at the camera.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 25, 2021, 06:32:28 PM
That thing where someone has memories which are in third person.

Yes, when someone's remembering something they were part of by seeing themselves and others as participants from a perspective to one side, rather than only hearing their own speech and seeing the others involved from their own perspective.

JesusAndYourBush

When films use a whistling sound to signify something or other, I can't remember what it signifies but because I have a bit of tinnitus all I can think of while it's happening is fuckofffuckofffuckofffuckofffuckoff.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 25, 2021, 11:30:23 PM
When films use a whistling sound to signify something or other, I can't remember what it signifies but because I have a bit of tinnitus all I can think of while it's happening is fuckofffuckofffuckofffuckofffuckoff.

Ah do you mean like when there's an explosion and the sound goes bRIIIIIIIIIIIIII like a high pitched whine to show the characters hearing is messed up? I hate that too

mothman

Yes, the character is meant to be all confused and the editing is really jerky and disorienting and yet manages to include snippets showing what all the other characters in that scene are doing at that point.

Was it Saving Private Ryan that did it first? This scene - of which the shortest clip I've found is one where some tool has replaced the audio with music from a video game "to make it scarier." Twat - I mean?

https://youtu.be/6KuFQ3Z-l7w

JesusAndYourBush

Yeah, explosions probably.  Last night on tv I wasn't paying attention because I'd been watching the thing on before and just left it on, but near the start of "Universal Soldier: Day Of Reckoning" it did it, which got my attention and made me change channel.

Icehaven

This has been mentioned in the Clichés thread too but when characters are having a conversation say, in a car, but it carries on as they're shown arriving somewhere, getting out of the car, going into a building and up some stairs etc., when the whole conversation is only about 30 seconds long. It's even worse if you see one of them saying the last line as they finally walk through a door or whatever because that really suggests a 30 second conversation somehow lasted as long as the entire journey.

dissolute ocelot

That's brilliant. Looks like it was done 100% analog using masks in an enlarger with completely the wrong contrast settings and wrong lens. The way Stalin's people used to do it. You don't get that kind of quality in Photoshop.

EOLAN

Quote from: SteveDave on September 23, 2021, 09:26:03 AM
The film is set in 1967 and a song plays that was released in 1968 or 69. "The Boat That Rocked" did this a lot. As did "The Conjuring 2".

Found 'Once Upon A Time in Hollywood' to be bad for this in relation to film references that came out a couple of  years after the film setting.