Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:45:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Everyday ableism thread

Started by tookish, September 23, 2021, 11:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

nah hs art is the most inclusive part of the forum

Kankurette

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 23, 2021, 05:27:57 PM
Just by voting Tory you're being an ableist scumbag.
I've encountered disabled Tories. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Dr Trouser

I've got hope in the future as kids these days seem to take the disabled in their stride.  In part I'd like to thank Mr Tumble for making my offspring view kids with learning disabilities as part of normal life. Plus Cliff Tumble is fucking hilarious.

My kids have a healthy view of disabilities and inclusion whereas all we had was Joey Deacon.

flotemysost

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on September 23, 2021, 02:52:38 PM
Let's not forget also how often the phrase "underlying health conditions" has been bandied about the last 18 months. Not in the sense of "these people are for no fault of their own potentially more vulnerable than other so let's be extra careful for their sake" (which is fair enough). Instead it was often used as in "those who died were not as healthy as I am, so were going to die anyway, so who cares?". Not necessarily the same thing as a disability (although obviously in some cases that is the underlying health condition itself), but still quite scary to see the contempt which some people hold anyone who they can consider beneath them.

This. Found it chilling back in March 2020, and to see how things have panned out just proves the lethal outcome of this kind of flippant rhetoric.

Quote from: Kankurette on September 24, 2021, 12:38:29 PM
One reason I'm glad I quit my job is because my colleagues found it really funny that someone in their thirties had fibromyalgia. And had to take various meds. "Ooh, how many meds are you on?" "Is there anything that doesn't run in your family?" "You don't have children, how can you possibly be tired all the time?" Fuck OFF. Everyone else talked about their aches and pains, but I wasn't allowed. Every day I wake up and something hurts, and when a flare comes, I can barely stand. I'm going to a gig tonight with friends and I know I'll be paying for it tomorrow.

I have a mate with fibro (also in her 30s) who sometimes uses a walking stick (but not always), and a few times I've seen staff at venues and events question her disabled status. Because God forbid anyone with a disability should be allowed to be young and have a life and interests and get dressed up to go out now and then. I can't imagine how frustrating and insulting that must be.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Kankurette on September 24, 2021, 05:49:57 PM
I've encountered disabled Tories. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

How do they smell?

Of racism!

Johnboy

my son has a learning disability

What I don't like is pity, a sort of "isn't it a shame he's that way" vibe I get, even from certain family members.

Glebe

Quote from: tookish on September 23, 2021, 11:07:37 AMI wanted somewhere to moan about an incident of really insidious ableism - which was a bunch of Rocky Horror fans talking about how Tim Curry has 'no life' because he has acquired disability. Rank fucking assumption from people who allege to be his fans.

Just happened upon this... hope none of those particular shitty RH fans get there hands on these signed posters he's bothering to sign with his "no life" and everything:

Tim Curry signing autographs for The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Zetetic

I'm so very tired of attempts, including on here, to draw a clear and reliable distinction between being extremely unpleasant and irritating, and being mentally ill, often tied up with cackhanded attempts by people with dogshit moral intuitions to make sense of responsibility and culpability.

Being unpleasant and irritating is near enough a fundamental aspect of being mentally ill - if you're not disgusting or upsetting someone, at least yourself, then you're eccentric not mad.

So very tired of the consequences of this for people I've known and countless others, of them being denied help because it's so icky to deal with them.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Dr Trouser on September 24, 2021, 05:53:30 PM
I've got hope in the future as kids these days seem to take the disabled in their stride. 

Yeah not sure if using them as hurdles is exactly the kind of inclusion we're aiming for though.