Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:45:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Is The Best Age To Be?

Started by Dr Rock, September 23, 2021, 02:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

The simple pleasures of being a toddler, trying to make sense of the world?

A lusty teen, covered in acne, but getting into music like properly, realising you have made sense of the world and have the answers to everything if only they'd listen to the The Kids. Plus you've discovered wanking, yay.

Your twenties, taking drugs and going to raves and getting depression or being in the army and being blown to pieces in someone else's country, wahay!

And so on!

31 probably. Old enough to be past the need to be "cool", young enough to not make groaning noises as I sit down.

Icehaven

Yep I reckon early 30s. Unless you're quite unlucky you can still pass for 20something, you've (again unless you're unlucky) got more money than you did in your 20s, you're a bit less intimidated by and lost in the world but haven't yet had experience and the resultant cynicism suck the joy out of everything, and, crucially, you can still realistically believe that the best is yet to come and that there's still plenty of time to do everything you want, but you don't yet feel that sad combination of disappointment and pressing but unfulfillable urgency that starts to creep in a bit later when you start accepting that no, actually, there isn't. You can still be a young person without the shit side of being a young person (being skint, having to find and make your place in the world etc.)

Obviously this is based on generalisations rather than individual experiences. I'm sure people who lost their jobs or had their entire family die when they were 32 would disagree with me.

Dr Rock

I'll show my cards early and agree. 35 is my answer.

Norton Canes

I honestly think the age I am now (coming up 42) is pretty sweet. When I was little I was getting diddled, when I got older everything was too loud and frightening.

There's something to be said for adolescence when everything feels so huge, big big emotions, so you're very depressed but that new album from that band you like can feel like a miracle.
A scary rollercoaster, lots of incredible highs and harrowing lows.

but I'm finding that my anxiety superpowers are waning and I'm way less hyper alert and I like everything now how it's on a much more even keel.
I stopped taking drugs, and smoking and drinking, though that's crept back in when I wasn't looking so I'm nipping that in the bud.

It's all relative but I feel happier and more at peace than I ever have, I think.
Feel a bit lonely sometimes, but you can't have everything.

I saw some old folk the other day and they looked so content sitting next to a lake eating ice cream. Just chillin, didn't look like they wanted to go back, perfectly happy with exactly where they were.
Like the hard bit was over and it was all downhill now, just free wheeling, enjoying the breeze.
Yas man.

jobotic

Yeah, early/mid thirties. I miss it.

chveik

Inspector Norse

Chollis

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 23, 2021, 03:29:42 PM

yes.

although it's quite nice to hear everyone saying early thirties is good too. there's hope yet!

bgmnts

Early to mid 30s is sounding likenit's going to be alright. Teens and 20s have been mostly fucking miserable so i'm hoping for a period of content.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on September 23, 2021, 03:25:26 PM
I honestly think the age I am now (coming up 42) is pretty sweet.

Elvis Presley, Billy Fury, Freddie King, Peter Tosh, Dennis Brown, Martin Hannett, Eddie Hazel and Jim Hodder all died at 42, but everyone goes on about the 27 Club. Enjoy your birthday.

Brundle-Fly

28 years old. Errrr...

Lee & Herring quotes aside, it just might be for me. I bloody loved 1994.

Replies From View

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Replies From View on September 23, 2021, 05:46:18 PM
Did you ever report it?

Shit, I didn't register that detail. Sorry, ImmaculateClump.

Haha, don't be daft.
It'll be a pensive poo that day, thinking of Elvis.

Ugh, probably shouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't want to talk about it, I suppose. Must have just plopped out, feeling a bit weird today.

Pinball

I was considering this question with a friend at the beach last weekend. 30, I'd say.

Dr Rock

Well this is disappointingly conflict-free. Someone call someone else a fucking idiot.

imitationleather

I'd like it if people would say the best age is one I've not already tried, thanks.

mothman

QuoteTo crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Oh no wait...

zomgmouse

Quote from: imitationleather on September 23, 2021, 10:11:09 PM
I'd like it if people would say the best age is one I've not already tried, thanks.

I was going to say the best age is the one you are right now

jamiefairlie

Ten. Old enough to have loads of freedom, spare time, friends and interests but no responsibilities or self-consciousness.

gilbertharding

Ten was the age when I was made to sit in the corner facing the wall for most of the school year. Made me pretty self-conscious I can tell you.

imitationleather

When I was ten I used to think about mortality and shit like that and freak out loads.

Fuck that.

Icehaven

I hated being a child and couldn't wait to grow up and have autonomy (didn't know it was called that though, I wasn't that precocious).

Hat FM

I think early thirties you have a fair bit of wisdom, know about fashionable stuff and can just about get away with mixing with the young 20somethings at work. once you get to 37 or so that has all gone and you're just an old bald guy.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: icehaven on September 24, 2021, 10:00:22 AM
I hated being a child and couldn't wait to grow up and have autonomy (didn't know it was called that though, I wasn't that precocious).

Nah, I knew fine well that freedom and autonomy just meant responsibility and stress, fuck them off for as long as possible. That's why I went to Uni.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 24, 2021, 09:39:19 AM
Ten was the age when I was made to sit in the corner facing the wall for most of the school year. Made me pretty self-conscious I can tell you.

Yes but to be fair, you are an overhead projector.