Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:57:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Other celebrities who have gone bananas

Started by dead-ced-dead, September 23, 2021, 04:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 23, 2021, 04:39:11 PM
Is Gary Busey as mad as it's claimed, or is just the fact that he's got a mad face? I saw him on Celebrity Big Brother once and he just seemed a bit confused, and a bit deaf.

He had a motorbike accident without a helmet in 1988 and suffered permanent brain damage. Whilst on Celebrity Rehab in 2008 he was referred to the psychiatrist Charles Sophy who reckoned it essentially removed his mental filters and made him more impulsive, he was prescribed valproric acid.

Also massive coke head and od'd in 1995.

There's a vid of him with a Swedish camera crew and he is acting pretty unusual in that.

Mr Trumpet

Oh and Scott Adams (the guy who writes the Dilbert comics). I'm sure he used to be fairly normal but now he seems to genuinely believe he's the cleverest man in the world, because he correctly predicted Trump would win in 2016. Has all kinds of crackpot rightwing/libertarian ideas.

mjwilson

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 23, 2021, 04:25:12 PM
The fridge must still be there. Did he do it alone? They're awfully heavy.

You're thinking of washing machines, fridges aren't especially heavy.

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 23, 2021, 04:27:07 PM
Adam Ant throwing a car starter through a pub window always struck me as being a bit mad.

What was quite comical was that his antics were provoked by people in a bar singing the theme tune to The Good the Bad and the Ugly because he entered the room wearing a cowboy hat.

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on September 23, 2021, 05:35:58 PM
Oh and Scott Adams (the guy who writes the Dilbert comics). I'm sure he used to be fairly normal but now he seems to genuinely believe he's the cleverest man in the world, because he correctly predicted Trump would win in 2016. Has all kinds of crackpot rightwing/libertarian ideas.

One of his Dilbert books (the second one I think) ends with a "thought experiment" that was very much in the Noel Edmonds 'affirmations work, totally cosmic orbs' vein that ended up being the tip of the bananaberg with him. I remember finding it weirdly frightening reading it on a teenage camping holiday, on which my other main activity was trying to wank without causing any telltale rocking that would no doubt upset my dear old nan.

Oh – Noel Edmonds.

The woman who starred alongside Jack Nicholson in the Shining.

Twit 2

Glebe

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 23, 2021, 04:27:07 PMAdam Ant throwing a car starter through a pub window always struck me as being a bit mad.

It's a while since I read his autobiography, but didn't he go into the pub with a gun?

RE: Paul Merton, recall reading him talking about his parents coming to rescue him in a restaurant where he was babbling madly or summit.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Glebe on September 23, 2021, 06:13:54 PM
RE: Paul Merton, recall reading him talking about his parents coming to rescue him in a restaurant where he was babbling madly or summit.

Rings a bell - I seem to remember one of the relating anecdotes from the standup show was that in his mind and from his own POV he was espousing highbrow intellectual ideas and talking them through very logically, but later on (after leaving hospital) his family/friends that were with him at the time told him he was just going "BLABBLE BLABBLE BLABBLE" (or some similar nonsense noise) for ages.

Glebe

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 23, 2021, 06:19:26 PMRings a bell - I seem to remember one of the relating anecdotes from the standup show was that in his mind and from his own POV he was espousing highbrow intellectual ideas and talking them through very logically, but later on (after leaving hospital) his family/friends that were with him at the time told him he was just going "BLABBLE BLABBLE BLABBLE" (or some similar nonsense noise) for ages.

Ah right.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 23, 2021, 05:00:22 PM
The potential for him to go bananas was always there. I remember him once getting furious about the fact that fruit machines were fixed - the bananasness didn't come so much from the anger, as much as the fact that he'd obviously only just realised what everyone knew.

I remember from the World Of Stuart days how nuts he was even then, and this was years before he transitioned to full on CyberNat crackpot. I used to think the point where he instituted a compulsory paywall to access his forums was when he'd gone over the edge, in the scale of things that barely even registers on the RevStu madometer.

slicesofjim

Quote from: mjwilson on September 23, 2021, 05:57:00 PM
You're thinking of washing machines, fridges aren't especially heavy.

They are, I knackered my side shifting one seven years ago, and it's still not right. My side, not the fridge, I luzzed that in a river as is customary.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Cheers lads. If I ever go completely hatstand I think I'll just hoy a few spoons into the nearest body of water and not a domestic appliance. Don't want to put my back out.

Cold Meat Platter

Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy are both anti-vax wackos who talk bollocks.
Tom Cruise believes in alien spirits in volcanos.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 23, 2021, 09:20:48 PM
Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy are both anti-vax wackos who talk bollocks.
Tom Cruise believes in alien spirits in volcanos.

I don't especially want to drag scientology/scientologist celebs into this but I always thought it was a big shame when I discovered Jason Lee was high up on some panel in there that was tasked with producing disinformation about psychiatry. I couldn't really see him the same after that, although I think he's out of that world entirely now.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 23, 2021, 05:31:25 PM
He had a motorbike accident without a helmet in 1988 and suffered permanent brain damage. Whilst on Celebrity Rehab in 2008 he was referred to the psychiatrist Charles Sophy who reckoned it essentially removed his mental filters and made him more impulsive, he was prescribed valproric acid.

I was on valproric acid for a fair while on top of my normal anti-depressants, it's just a mood stabiliser and prescribed fairly often, though I'm off it now thankfully (mainly because as with so many anti-depressants it's a right bastard when it comes to your sex drive).

That's depressing to hear about Stuart Campbell, can't say I've thought about him much over the years but I used to be a big Amiga Power fan to the extent that I regularly wrote in to their letters column.

king_tubby

I'm a bit surprised that people are only just finding out about old Wings Over Bath.

Dr Rock

Quote from: king_tubby on September 23, 2021, 09:33:59 PM
I'm a bit surprised that people are only just finding out about old Wings Over Bath.

Mate I'm just finding out about Amiga Power.

crankshaft

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 23, 2021, 09:29:34 PM
That's depressing to hear about Stuart Campbell, can't say I've thought about him much over the years but I used to be a big Amiga Power fan to the extent that I regularly wrote in to their letters column.

He's also of the opinion that the fans at Hillsborough brought it on themselves. He's a great bunch of lads.

#JFT97

dr beat

Kankurette

Matt Le Tissier, especially now that he's gotten heavily into COVID denial and Us4Them. Great player but an absolute ballsack of a man.
Quote from: crankshaft on September 23, 2021, 09:55:32 PM
He's also of the opinion that the fans at Hillsborough brought it on themselves. He's a great bunch of lads.

#JFT97
I have no idea who he is and I hate him already.

Video Game Fan 2000

I was a kid and first getting into old comedy, I'd get really excited seeing the name of anyone connected with old classics in the tv listings.  One time I remember tuning into some late night ITV programme that had an episode billed as something like "the odd world of Michael Bentine" so I was expecting some Goonery and instead when I turned it on he was on a hillside intoning "is there anyone theereeeeee" to the spirits or aliens or something, then he was talking about astral projection and ectoplasm, then finally he stood on a leyline and looked thrilled. 

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Kankurette on September 23, 2021, 10:55:30 PM
he's gotten heavily into COVID denial and Us4Them.

Got really confused then because I thought it was UsVsTh3m, the Mirror attempt at Buzzfeed, headed up by the guy from b3ta.

Video Game Fan 2000

Who's that American fella who dropped out to work on his geometry theorems where 2 = 3?

The Culture Bunker

I've known for a while Stuart Campbell jumped off the deep end, which was a little hard to take, as I remember enjoying his writing in Your Sinclair and other assorted Future Publishing titles from the early 90s.

JaDanketies

Robbie Williams spent a few years chasing UFOs

Sebastian Cobb