Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:28:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Martin Clunes Arsehole

Started by Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle, September 23, 2021, 09:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
We all know that Martin Clunes is an arsehole

But when talking about the arsehole belonging to Martin Clunes, should we say "Martins Clune's arsehole" which is prounced as Martin Clunesez arsesole (which sounds wrong) or should we just go with "Martin Clunes arsehole".  The latter sounds correct when said out loud but could be misconstrued as 3 seperate unrelated words when written down?

QDRPHNC

Wouldn't it be Martin Clunes' arsehole? If speaking: Clunses, but you'd sort of muffle the end in case it's wrong.

Twit 2

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on September 23, 2021, 09:29:23 PM"Martins Clune's arsehole" which is prounced as Martin Clunesez arsesole (which sounds wrong)

Did you mean to write Clunes's? That would be pronounced Clunesez. What you wrote would still be pronounce Clunes.

The rule is "add apostrophe and s" to show possession, unless the word is a plural ending in s.

The dog's tail was wagging. Apostrophe and S.
The men's changing room is over there. Irregular plural (no S), so as above.
The dogs' tails were wagging. Just apostrophe because it's a plural ending in S.
Martin Clunes's arsehole has been condemned. Name, not plural, so apostrophe and S.

Clunes is a name, the s isn't plural, therefore Clunes's is correct, and also matches the pronunciation. Clunes' is also conventionally correct, but doesn't match the pronunciation.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 23, 2021, 09:33:00 PM
Wouldn't it be Martin Clunes' arsehole? If speaking: Clunses, but you'd sort of muffle the end in case it's wrong.

I've never really understood where apostrophes should go to be honest, but thanks.

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 23, 2021, 09:36:35 PM
Did you mean to write Clunes's?

The rule is "add apostrophe and s" to show possession, unless the word is a plural ending in s. Clunes is a name, the s isn't plural, therefore Clunes's is also conventionally correct, and also matches the pronunciation. Clunes' is also correct, but doesn't match the pronunciation.

Cheers Twit, today i learned somthing.

ProvanFan

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Can't even double down the fucking melt

TrenterPercenter

Is Martin Clunes' an arsehole? I really don't know anything about him of recent times; has he reached national treasure stage yet?

Steven88

Martin Clunes has always seemed alright, what's he done?

Sebastian Cobb

Men Behaving Badly and that thing where he's a doctor in the arse-end of nowhere.

Steven88

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 23, 2021, 10:45:28 PM
Men Behaving Badly and that thing where he's a doctor in the arse-end of nowhere.
I like both, Men Behaving Badly isn't my favourite sitcom but it's still watchable. Obviously bits of it are iffy these days but Gary and Tony were always the butt of the jokes and made to look like like childish wankers.

pigamus

Echo Valley 2-6809

Twit 2 is right. When I get notes posted through my door saying "We consign you to Hell in Jesus' name", I want to tell them it should be Jesus's name, because that's how you'd pronounce it.

I remember Lynn Barber didn't like Clunes when she interviewed him.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Steven88 on September 23, 2021, 10:51:55 PM
I like both, Men Behaving Badly isn't my favourite sitcom but it's still watchable. Obviously bits of it are iffy these days but Gary and Tony were always the butt of the jokes and made to look like like childish wankers.

I was being facetious, Men Behaving Badly is generally better than we remember and Doc Martin was harmless fun, or it was in the early series when I watched it and didn't have streaming/dvr etc.

pigamus

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on September 23, 2021, 11:00:28 PM
Twit 2 is right. When I get notes posted through my door saying "We consign you to Hell in Jesus' name", I want to tell them it should be Jesus's name, because that's how you'd pronounce it.

Not really. Traditionally you do pronounce it like that - in Jesus name - and you don't add the extra S.

Steven88

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 23, 2021, 11:05:36 PM
I was being facetious, Men Behaving Badly is generally better than we remember and Doc Martin was harmless fun, or it was in the early series when I watched it and didn't have streaming/dvr etc.
I thought he was generally harmless, I assumed he must be a Tory or a terf when I read this thread.

The Mollusk

He climbed up an elephant in a very cruel way. This isn't a joke post, despite my flippant tone.

I'd like to climb up Clunes's arsehole in a very cruel way to see if he knows how it feels to be climbed up cruelly.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: pigamus on September 23, 2021, 11:08:28 PM
Not really. Traditionally you do pronounce it like that - in Jesus name - and you don't add the extra S.

Isn't that version Jesu though?

idunnosomename

idunnosomename

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on September 23, 2021, 11:57:03 PM

only in church latin where of course grammar doesnt work the same. and that's yey-zu

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 24, 2021, 12:47:09 AM
only in church latin where of course grammar doesnt work the same. and that's yey-zu

I mean that's why it became "in Jesus' name pronounced with two syllables, because it's derived from Jesu/Jesu's. Is it Lazarus' death or Lazarus's death?

Dex Sawash

chveik

never heard of the cunt but i'm sure his arsehole is just great

ProvanFan

Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, Clunes me.

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on September 23, 2021, 11:57:03 PM

No, Jesus' and Moses' is the correct way to show the possessive thanks to a spot of archaism - but generally, if a name ends with an 'iz' sound, you add 's

The Mollusk

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 24, 2021, 12:44:23 AM
Men Mounting Elephants Badly

Everything is cruel with you! Yelling in his ears is cruel! Climbing up his face is cruel! Well EXCUSE ME if I'm CRUEL!

TrenterPercenter

Every time I post
They tell me that it's Clunes Bum, Clunes Bum
I tell them that they're wrong
They tell me that it''s Clunes Bum, Clunes Bum
There's no sense to be found
With these anti-grammar clowns
Clunes is not a plural it's a noun
I don't like the Clunes Bum

EDIT: Credit to Bob Marley and Peter Tosh

gilbertharding

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on September 24, 2021, 12:57:33 AM
Is it Lazarus' death or Lazarus's death?

He died twice, so it should be Lazarus's's.