Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,396
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:15:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

I'm guessing a certain forum member isn't a fan as they've not been in here suggesting Jodie Comer.

daf

Miriam Margolyes has a bit of Tom Baker in her, but I think she's living in Australia most of the time these days, so probably wouldn't be available. *

- - - - -
* (if she wanted to do it, of course - she might think it's just a load of silly rubbish!)

JamesTC

Quote from: olliebean on September 28, 2021, 12:31:35 PM
I'm guessing a certain forum member isn't a fan as they've not been in here suggesting Jodie Comer.

I don't want somebody I fancy to be The Doctor. It would be like dreaming of a snog with William Hartnell.

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on September 28, 2021, 01:15:12 PM
I don't want somebody I fancy to be The Doctor. It would be like dreaming of a snog with William Hartnell.

Pointless because those are ten a penny

lipsink

Quote from: daf on September 28, 2021, 12:53:54 PM
Miriam Margolyes has a bit of Tom Baker in her.

I heard he did get about in the 70s.

purlieu

Quote from: The Roofdog on September 28, 2021, 12:25:21 PM
Gillian Anderson or GTFO.
Could definitely get behind this.
Also I'm all for Tilda Swinton still.

T'Nia Miller does seem like a serious contender, I'd say, though.

Mister Six

God, Tilda Swinton would be a dream come true. Gillian Anderson likewise - she's said she wants to do more comedy, so this seems right up her street. And she's British enough to not trigger my "no foreign Doctors" moaning, but American enough to maybe have some appeal over there.

Quote from: Alberon on September 28, 2021, 12:08:59 PM
Michaela Coel might have done a season with RTD, but she's off filming the next Black Panther film and is probably too big for Doctor Who already.

Nah, I can't see her bothering to star in any TV show she's not also writing. Maybe a guest star turn if she's a fan, but devoting a year to someone else's creative vision would be a bit of a backwards step in a newly burgeoning career. Save that for when you're 40 and comfortably established, I reckon.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 28, 2021, 12:04:36 PM
Maybe it'll be a woman who is big on UK TV, like your Suranne Jones (already been in it), Katherine Kelly (been in Class), Lesley Sharp (already been in it), Nicola Walker (been in Big Finish), Anna Maxwell Martin (already been in it), Keeley Hawes (already been in it), MyAnna Buring (already been in it). Yeah they're all white I know.

Colin Baker, Lalla Ward, Capaldi and Gillan had all previously been in Who (and spin-offs, in Capaldi's case) before their turns as The Doctor or a companion, of course.

JamesTC

Tennant was also in Big Finish and Scream of the Shalka before playing The Doctor.

Mister Six

I guarantee Judi Dench's agent has fielded calls about this.

JamesTC

Might be a mad idea but if the BBC do want a big name to pull in viewers, they could always have the big name just for the 60th.

In fact a story about a newly regenerated Doctor being forced to sacrifice themselves so soon could have a certain impact. Then again, now regeneration is meaningless and The Doctor is a secret alien who can regenerate an infinite amount of times, it probably wouldn't have the impact it might once have had.

Replies From View

Plus John Hurt's incarnation was that very thing, with the bonus of being everything it was:  a repressed bridge between classic and new eras.  No mayfly Doctor from this point can possibly have an equal impact.

Just cast a famous person as the Doctor if you want to go that way again.  The BBC have the option of spending enough money to save the show or not.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Mister Six on September 28, 2021, 03:18:04 PM
Colin Baker, Lalla Ward, Capaldi and Gillan had all previously been in Who (and spin-offs, in Capaldi's case) before their turns as The Doctor or a companion, of course.
I only noted it because it was funny to me that I'm seemingly incapable of thinking of actors who haven't been in Doctor Who. I'd forgotten MyAnna Buring (The Impossible Planet) and Anna Maxwell Martin (The Long Game) had already been in it, thought they were good picks.

Going to suggest Ruth Wilson now. More famous than Jodie, not above doing sci-fi on the BBC, interesting and good actor.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: JamesTC on September 28, 2021, 03:29:12 PM
Then again, now regeneration is meaningless and The Doctor is a secret alien who can regenerate an infinite amount of times, it probably wouldn't have the impact it might once have had.

the fact that regeneration is now weightless and can happen forever fits terribly with the fact that in later seasons regeneration behaves like a walking atom bomb, so there's no logical reason in-universe why the doctor shouldn't be using it frequently a la wiping out a dalek fleet in time of the doctor

Replies From View

This is presumably one of many things RTD is sensitive to and will hopefully fix.

Alberon

He could take the approach that he did writing Tennant - that the Doctor might now have infinite lives but it still feels like he's dying and some other guy is waltzing off in his trousers.

Would perfectly explain their reluctance to do it every week.

Famous Mortimer

Maybe this is why Phoebe Waller-Bridge stepped away from that "Mr and Mrs Smith" thing.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 28, 2021, 05:34:37 PM
Maybe this is why Phoebe Waller-Bridge stepped away from that "Mr and Mrs Smith" thing.

i'm going to kill myself

olliebean

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 28, 2021, 04:36:14 PM
the fact that regeneration is now weightless and can happen forever fits terribly with the fact that in later seasons regeneration behaves like a walking atom bomb, so there's no logical reason in-universe why the doctor shouldn't be using it frequently a la wiping out a dalek fleet in time of the doctor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF_vOyo0H5Y

chveik

mjwilson

And Freema.

pigamus

GoblinAhFuckScary

pigamus

Gurke and Hare

It should be a woman (prefereably OC) just to annoy all the "Hooray, now it won't be woke any more!" Ian Levine disciples. Who of course, were all the people doing the "gay agenda" whining in 2005.

Quote from: Replies From View on September 26, 2021, 05:17:01 PM
Those fatleks being eleven years ago now, it doesn't feel like that can possibly be his intention.  I think it's just self-deprecation from a middle-aged man saying the usual "fatter and balder now, etc" thing.

Isn't it part self-deprecation, part a gentle "ha ha, you did the Dalek redesign that nobody liked" dig?

GoblinAhFuckScary

if there's something Who needs less of it's posh twats. wallers-bridge is fucking landed gentry

pigamus

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 28, 2021, 08:20:47 PM
It should be a woman (prefereably OC) just to annoy all the "Hooray, now it won't be woke any more!" Ian Levine disciples. Who of course, were all the people doing the "gay agenda" whining in 2005.

Isn't it part self-deprecation, part a gentle "ha ha, you did the Dalek redesign that nobody liked" dig?

Far more likely to have meant the Fat Controller imo

Replies From View

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 28, 2021, 08:20:47 PM

This thread has shown nobody can agree on this, so I can't say one way or the other.  It's definitely RTD saying "yes we returning villains always gain a little in the girth department" but whatever else he's referring to we may never settle on.

Mister Six

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 28, 2021, 04:03:29 PM
I only noted it because it was funny to me that I'm seemingly incapable of thinking of actors who haven't been in Doctor Who. I'd forgotten MyAnna Buring (The Impossible Planet) and Anna Maxwell Martin (The Long Game) had already been in it, thought they were good picks.

To be fair, Doctor Who has probably had about 60 per cent of the UK's currently active actors in it at some point. Throw in the Harry Potter and Tolkien films and you'll probably have all of them except the actual children. And Idris Elba.

Hm.

Idris Elba?

Ja'moke

If they're going to pick a woman who has already appeared in Who then it should be Rachael Stirling.

Quote from: Mister Six on September 28, 2021, 03:18:04 PMColin Baker, Lalla Ward, Capaldi and Gillan had all previously been in Who (and spin-offs, in Capaldi's case) before their turns as The Doctor or a companion, of course.

Quote from: mjwilson on September 28, 2021, 07:07:02 PM
And Freema.

Quote from: pigamus on September 28, 2021, 07:18:08 PM
And Peter Purves.

Ian Marter too. Could possibly also include Nicholas Courtney if semi-regulars count.