Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:09:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 28, 2021, 04:03:29 PM
Going to suggest Ruth Wilson now. More famous than Jodie, not above doing sci-fi on the BBC, interesting and good actor.

Going forward, I am never not going to be confusing Ruth Wilson and Ruth Jones, so I really had to think about this one for a minute.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 27, 2021, 11:09:45 PM
Isn't this where... ...we came in? :-)

(From the top of page 2 of the first-ever new-Who thread!!)

(Yeah, but I suggested Grant afresh, I'm aware he's been in the frame before, silly! ;-)

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 28, 2021, 08:45:46 PM
If they're going to pick a woman who has already appeared in Who then it should be Rachael Stirling.

Or Anna Maxwell Martin.

Actually, I think RTD should go full‐on and play the Doctor himself.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: mothman on September 28, 2021, 08:52:05 PM(Yeah, but I suggested Grant afresh, I'm aware he's been in the frame before, silly! ;-)

I know!  I just thought it was amusing that 17 years on he's still getting mentioned!

olliebean

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 28, 2021, 09:09:11 PMActually, I think RTD should go full‐on and play the Doctor himself.

"Quel dommage, Davros."

JamesTC

Mister Six

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 28, 2021, 09:09:11 PM
Or Anna Maxwell Martin.

Actually, I think RTD should go full‐on and play the Doctor himself.

He's going to let Gatiss have that honour.

chveik

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 28, 2021, 08:21:20 PM
if there's something Who needs less of it's posh twats. wallers-bridge is fucking landed gentry

she's the voice of our generation

Rev+

Surely this is the project that can get Joe Don Baker out of retirement.

Butchers Blind

Go different species, really shake things up. You can train dogs to do stuff, "What's that Doctor? A Dalek has fallen down the well?"

thr0b

Give it to Sean Pertwee, playing it in the style of Alfred from Gotham.

I know he doesn't want to, but tough. It's his role.

Small Man Big Horse

A friend says there's "A credible memo" going around suggesting it'll be Lydia West, but after a brief search the only thing I've found is that someone on Gallifrey Base claims to have seen a leaked email, so it's probably just pure speculation.

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 29, 2021, 08:02:53 AM
Go different species, really shake things up. You can train dogs to do stuff, "What's that Doctor? A Dalek has fallen down the well?"

I reckon you're on to something here, and 2013's A Talking Cat shows we have the technology to make realistic animal mouth movement. https://youtu.be/Y-h-KpG2tHM?t=57

Replies From View

Why not just give it to Ian Botham in the style of a blacked-up Patrick Troughton.  Seems like the most natural route of least resistance.

olliebean

Quote from: Mister Six on September 28, 2021, 03:18:04 PMColin Baker, Lalla Ward, Capaldi and Gillan had all previously been in Who (and spin-offs, in Capaldi's case) before their turns as The Doctor or a companion, of course.

Don't know if it counts, but Lydia West has done a Big Finish. I think it was one of the ones without the Doctor in it, though.

Jerzy Bondov

I must say I am VERY against the idea of Olly Alexander being the Doctor, unfortunately this is due to my prejudice against people named Olly

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 29, 2021, 11:08:03 AM
A friend says there's "A credible memo" going around suggesting it'll be Lydia West, but after a brief search the only thing I've found is that someone on Gallifrey Base claims to have seen a leaked email, so it's probably just pure speculation.

There's an otherwise quite listenable YouTuber who keeps obstinately posting rumours under the banner "leaks".  He even starts these videos with a little response to people who tell him he should label them as "rumours" - "I have always called them 'leaks' and people will be confused if I change it now" or words to that effect.

Deeply annoying clickbait malarkey.  Wish he'd stop.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 29, 2021, 11:44:16 AM
I must say I am VERY against the idea of Olly Alexander being the Doctor, unfortunately this is due to my prejudice against people named Olly

How about a follow up to "The Doctor's Wife" with Olly Alexander as the TARDIS.  It would work especially well if the Doctor is a lady at the time.

Jerzy Bondov

I had a leak at the BBC once!! (went for a wee there) (in my pants) (while laughing in the audience for a recording of Alan Carr's Celebrity Ding Dong)

Replies From View

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 29, 2021, 11:46:43 AM
I had a leak at the BBC once!! (went for a wee there) (in my pants) (while laughing in the audience for a recording of Alan Carr's Celebrity Ding Dong)

And did the title of the show fully prepare you for the microphone in the toilet?

purlieu

I think they should go full-on meta and have the Doctor play the Doctor.

olliebean

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 29, 2021, 11:44:16 AM

Oi![nb]Oi![nb]Oi![/nb][/nb]

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on September 29, 2021, 11:49:19 AM
I think they should go full-on meta and have the Doctor play the Doctor.

I'm sure Chibnall already has that sorted for the BBC centenary thing

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on September 29, 2021, 11:49:39 AM
Oi![nb]Oi![nb]Oi![/nb][/nb]

Olly with a 'y'

Oily with an 'oi'

I hope this helps

Thomas

If DWM celebrate RTD's return with the headline 'change, my dear - and it seems not a moment too soon' I might just shell out for a copy.

McDead

Quote from: Thomas on September 29, 2021, 11:53:50 AM
If DWM celebrate RTD's return with the headline 'change, my dear - and it seems not a moment too soon' I might just shell out for a copy.

One day I shall come back...

MojoJojo

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 28, 2021, 08:45:46 PM
If they're going to pick a woman who has already appeared in Who then it should be Rachael Stirling.

Now, I know this might sound a bit mental but I think it would be interesting if they can pull it off: Billy Piper?

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 29, 2021, 01:34:24 PM
Now, I know this might sound a bit mental but I think it would be interesting if they can pull it off: Billy Piper?
Yeah, she'd be great. I'd be up for that

Famous Mortimer

JamesTC

Mister Six

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 29, 2021, 02:24:47 PM
Oooh, Kathryn Hahn

I still don't think a non-UK Doctor is right. It's the closest I get to patriotism.

Gillian Anderson is about 50% British. That's as far as I'll go

Butchers Blind

I just remembered that RTD episode of DW where that fella ended up having oral sex with a paving slab.
Amazing to have him back on board again.