Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:34:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sweep

Started by beanheadmcginty, September 25, 2021, 03:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 26, 2021, 10:43:23 PM
I mean Learn to Read with Sooty is fun.  Sweep spells his name 'Smeed', it's a riot

I bet Soo was standing right over his shoulder, "no Sweep you idiot; you do a w like this and a p like this, you got it wrong Sweep you failed your attempts at learning Sweep, you are stupid Sweep you are so stupid.  Why are you panicking Sweep; at least Sooty has the good grace to suffer in silence."

Icehaven

All this Sweep joy has cheered me right the hell up.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 26, 2021, 07:27:05 PM
Not sure about the wisdom of putting Sweep in a hot air balloon but here he actually does SOS in Sweep-squeak, the lad isn't daft.

https://youtu.be/r83Sd7sAg5w?t=139

Hah, that's actually "OSO" not "SOS".  Presumably deliberate.

Harry Badger

Fuck Soo. People like her make my life a misery and always have done.

Also worth mentioning again that Sweep's dad is a Hasidic Jew.

Icehaven

The hot air balloon squeaks at 6.20 are definitely "Matthew. MATTHEW!".

bos

Thank you, OP.  Sweep is truly one of the greats.

I love his brief performance of "Boredom" from 1978.

And this moment from "Down Dog":

QuoteOh, there you are, Sooty. Have you probed the darkest recessses of Sweep's mind? And what did you find? ... Darkness?  Mm.

non capisco

I dunno if anyone else follows the Sooty Twitter account but once on bonfire night it was the caption 'Oh no! Who left Sweep in charge of the fireworks?' with a picture of Sweep chucking a shit fit and a mushroom cloud in the distance. I kid you not.

idunnosomename

@Sootyandco has some quality self-aware, borderline shitposting content. am i imagining it or was there an official Sooty account that just posts blank tweets?

Quote from: bos on September 26, 2021, 11:36:02 PM

And this moment from "Down Dog":

That's a superb episode all-round. A gooseberry in a lift!!

shiftwork2

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 26, 2021, 11:04:19 PM
Hah, that's actually "OSO" not "SOS".  Presumably deliberate.

Motherfucker.  A joke in a forty year kid's show sails right over my head.

gilbertharding

AllisonSays

I find the guy who manipulates these puppets very sexually alluring, for some reason.

Replies From View

Quote from: AllisonSays on September 27, 2021, 01:51:33 PM
I find the guy who manipulates these puppets very sexually alluring, for some reason.

They manipulate themselves.

You know when it's Matthew there and Sooty and Sweep are having a chat, and then cousin Scampi joins in and pretty soon Soo turns up to send everyone to bed early because they are boys?

Well what's going on below the table top there; is Matthew one of the manipulators or do they let him just be himself and have two (or more) additional people out of sight?

And which of these unseen manipulators do you find the most sexually arousing?

Glebe

Forgot about The Sooty Show's absolute banger of a theme tune, actually!

*dweeble dweeble dweeble dweeble dwub - bling-blong!*

gilbertharding

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 27, 2021, 12:04:48 PM

That's odd - the picture of Simon Pegg  which was supposed to draw attention to his resemblance to Matthew Corbett has... vanished.

Icehaven

Quote from: bos on September 26, 2021, 11:36:02 PM

That's bloody excellent, Tony Wilson too!

Glebe

Quote from: AllisonSays on September 27, 2021, 01:51:33 PMI find the guy who manipulates these puppets very sexually alluring, for some reason.

Yes, Matthew has that kind of animal magnetism that James Hetfield has.

Rolf Lundgren

He's not even the best drummer in The Sooty Show.

idunnosomename

Nicko of course usually has a Sooty on his drum kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtd2rGbCEdk

pigamus

Matthew is brilliant but as a kid I found his intensity a tiny bit unsettling. Wouldn't want to cross him, you know what I mean?

bos

Quote from: icehaven on September 27, 2021, 09:33:19 PM
That's bloody excellent, Tony Wilson too!

Sweep is a very talented musician.

He was (probably) the first dog to do a bass solo on a trombone.

The Mollusk

That Buzzcocks cover is ace! Sweep would have made for a very passable James Chance tribute act too.

shiftwork2

Unashamedly bumping the thread as Sweep on This Is Your Life has been brought to my attention.  From the transitional 1977 studio audience series so it's a mix of Harry's basically 1950s sets and slapstick set pieces and the beginnings of Matthew making the show into the sitcom.

Features the definitive Sweep puppet, bedraggled 70s tache Sweep.  There's an early version of Sweep's family and Sweep pretends not to know who Sooty is, and claims Soo is 'the Queen Mother'.

The kids must have thought 'who is this boring cunt, get Sweep back on' when Joe Brown is introduced and I'm totally on their side.

shiftwork2

Finally, It's An Aubergine.

The comedy chops on show here rival anything.

Kankurette

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 25, 2021, 11:00:53 PMI'd absolutely fucking love to watch Sweep beating the shit out of Edd the Duck in a pub car park.
Sweep could snap him like a twig.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Kankurette on August 18, 2022, 10:06:57 PMSweep could snap him like a twig.

Yeah, there's no way Sweep would fight fair. Edd would be on his arse in seconds. If he had one.

shiftwork2

Of course, Sweep on This Is Your Life should have actually happened (sploff).

Spudgun

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 18, 2022, 09:55:57 PMFinally, It's An Aubergine.

The comedy chops on show here rival anything.
Brilliant.

Which is the one where they're all making model boats, and Sweep gets a huge great tree stump and spends the whole episode chiselling away at it, and we're all watching thinking "This is going to be all massive and spectacular", and in the end he hands Matthew a sad little three-inch canoe? Probably my first experience of the anticlimactic anti-joke, and I remember finding it hilarious.

Armed Traffic Warden

Quote from: pigamus on September 27, 2021, 10:34:55 PMMatthew is brilliant but as a kid I found his intensity a tiny bit unsettling. Wouldn't want to cross him, you know what I mean?

His pre-beard knashers are fucking terrifying.

idunnosomename

lol that all things bright and beautiful was fucking torture