Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:05:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Screening A Film

Started by Chedney Honks, September 25, 2021, 07:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

I know absolutely nothing about this, but I would like to do it. I imagine a few people here have done so and I'd be grateful for any advice in this specific area.

I'm not looking to make any money, obviously, and I wouldn't be fussed if I was a bit out of pocket for the experience, I just want to watch some particular films at the cinema, and put them on for a community audience with similar interests.

From scratch, I would need a venue, projector and sound system, so I'm thinking of just hiring a community cinema to cut through all of that. In a former life, a mate and I organised a music festival and the technical side of sound mixing and all that was a ballache. I wouldn't even know where to begin with a projector. Anyway, using an existing venue seems best right now.

Beyond that, I guess I'll need a screening licence. I know that there are various options available, including direct from BFI, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. If I own the Blu-ray, can I licence that for public screening? What if it's not available in the BFI catalogue, for example?

Beyond that, I wonder about the pure costs of licensing. Is something like Godzilla going to be ridiculous because Toho are the way they are? What about Transformers: The Movie? Will Hasbro want their cut, etc.? What I mean to ask is whether there's massive variance in licensing costs based on the content?

The promotion and stuff will be no issue. I would also want food and drink available but again, hopefully the venue would be taking care of this. I assume if I wanted to put on food and drink, local pies and tinnies, all that licensing and health and safety stuff would be a mega ball ache so I'd be happy for the venue to do whatever they do.

If anyone has any advice or relevant experience in this specific area, I would really appreciate it.

steveh

If there's nobody here who can help, maybe try and find somebody from a local film society? A relative of mine used to go to one which put on arthouse stuff in a town that had only a multiplex but streaming and increasing complications and costs with licensing titles killed it.

Chedney Honks

Cheers, Steve. There's nothing like that near me unfortunately but I'm going to try a couple of arthouse venues in Manchester which will hopefully have some advice, as well.

Chedney Honks

Oh, brilliant stuff. I hadn't, and that doc is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you very much!

mjwilson

Quote from: Chedney Honks on September 25, 2021, 09:52:04 AM
Cheers, Steve. There's nothing like that near me unfortunately but I'm going to try a couple of arthouse venues in Manchester which will hopefully have some advice, as well.

Probably good to speak to Chapeltown Picture House, they're doing stuff like this.

13 schoolyards

There seems to be a very firm distinction between renting a cinema to watch a movie yourself (and with invited friends), and renting a cinema to show a movie where members of the public can attend.

The former, according to a friend of mine who manages a cinema, is largely a matter of having the money and a blu-ray (or even DVD) copy of the film; the latter is a massive pain in the arse with licensing fees and a lot of older films simply aren't available for public exhibition.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: mjwilson on September 25, 2021, 11:19:56 AM
Probably good to speak to Chapeltown Picture House, they're doing stuff like this.

Cheers, they were actually who I was thinking of.

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on September 25, 2021, 11:37:57 AM
There seems to be a very firm distinction...

Hmm, slightly dampened spirits but cheers for the info, I am keen to know the reality.