Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:27:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How do you smoke a cigar?

Started by Chedney Honks, September 25, 2021, 07:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolf Lundgren

One of the few things you can chomp, other than a bit.

AllisonSays

I can't smoke them because I just want to inhale the smoke too much. Why make a smoky thing where you can't inhale, that's the fun part.

I read a short story once where a guy had to clear a barn of rotting and dead animal carcasses and him and his pal smoked cigars while doing it to mask the smell, which I thought was kind of cool. But in reality it's just blokes in inexplicable capes outside Yates' Wine Bar blowing perfumed smoke into each others' faces.

JaDanketies

I know you're not supposed to inhale them but I inhale them to my 'trachea', if I recall my biology lessons correctly, but not all the way down to the 'ravioli' at the bottom of the lungs. So I still get a bit of a hit.

I enjoy them, occasionally. It's about the experience. It's a signifier of luxury and decadence. You don't have to finish it all at once either. I guess you don't want to overthink it. Some of them actually taste nice.

Glebe

JaDanketies

Al on Quantum Leap is a supposedly-likeable guy who chain smokes cigars, but to a modern audience he's a disgusting sleazeball shithead

When I smoke them I think I'm Tony Soprano, who is also a shithead

Castro

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 26, 2021, 03:51:45 PM
Al on Quantum Leap is a supposedly-likeable guy who chain smokes cigars, but to a modern audience he's a disgusting sleazeball shithead

When I smoke them I think I'm Tony Soprano, who is also a shithead

Castro

Columbo: good guy cigar smoker.

Keebleman

Columbo smokes 'stogies' doesn't he?  Is that a special type of cigar or is it just a name for a cigar that has been smoked down to a stub?

Sebastian Cobb

Dunno. They did seem to be a remarkable 'green poo' colour.

buttgammon

I like Romeo y Julietas but unfortunately, they were Churchill's brand. Just going to have a cheeky cigar to enthuse about chemical weapons and the supremacy of the Aryan race.

Vinnie01

I don't think I better smoke cigars although tempted. I shouldn't really be smoking at all under my GP's orders in 2008. I may have to take up Vaping instead as I relapsed on Smoking this year.

JaDanketies

Quote from: wikiCigar smoke is more alkaline than cigarette smoke, and is absorbed more readily by the mucous membrane of the mouth, making it easier for the smoker to absorb nicotine without having to inhale.... Among cigar smokers who reported that they did not inhale, relative mortality (likelihood of death) risk was still highly elevated for oral, esophageal, and laryngeal cancers.

When cigar smokers don't inhale or smoke few cigars per day, the risks are only slightly above those of never smokers. Risks of lung cancer increase with increasing inhalation and with increasing number of cigars smoked per day, but the effect of inhalation is more powerful than that for number of cigars per day. When 5 or more cigars are smoked per day and there is moderate inhalation, the lung cancer risks of cigar smoking approximate those of a one pack per day cigarette smoker. As the tobacco smoke exposure of the lung in cigar smokers increases to approximate the frequency of smoking and depth of inhalation found in cigarette smokers, the difference in lung cancer risks produced by these two behaviors disappears.

Goldentony

I like to suck the cigars cock and shove it up my hot fucking shithole

itsfredtitmus

few weeks back I accidentally chainsmoked an entire pack of cigarillos thinking they started making 10 packs with funny faux-cigar skins and was nicsick for a week fucking hate em

mrClaypole

I used to smoke Marlboro reds endlessly back in the day graduating onto Samson additive free rolling tobacco (healthy me)
The strangest thing happened to me when I broke my ankle I went off cigs and rollies so I looked for an alternative.  I started on tins of cafe creme cigars. I literally smoked them like ciggies inhaling all the way. I would get through 10 of the aromatic bastards on a typical night out. I would hack up all sorts of crap from the lungs the following day.  My chest would feel like I had Bella Emberg sitting on it too.
I still enjoy a good cigar on special occasions. Nice big entertainment mogul style.  I exhale most of the smoke before inhaling a tiny bit at the end as a little hit.

Its quite a commitment though as the constant relighting and seeing it through to the end is a ballache.

buttgammon

At the risk of outing myself as a twat, I've been saving up two of these for a special occasion since last year and I have something to celebrate, so I'm going to be poisoning myself with one of these later.

Johnny Foreigner

How do you smoke a cigar? As slowly as possible. Take out at least an hour for a decent robusto. A half-corona cigarillo (e.g., Wintermans) can last for half an hour.

I took up smoking cigars when I was twenty and had never smoked before. I still hate getting smoke in my lungs and have never been accustomed to cigarettes. On average, I smoke about three to five  a week and I am in good health. The only one who disapproves is my dentist.

The length of time a cigar takes to smoke obviously makes it unsuitable for lunch breaks. Therefore, at the office, a snuff box is your friend.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 26, 2021, 04:50:13 PM
Dunno. They did seem to be a remarkable 'green poo' colour.
Columbo smoked cheap Candela leaf wrapped cigars.
I'm having 20 Robustos brought back from NYC later this month from this outfit : https://www.mulberrystcigars.com/
£5 a pop is pretty decent for a hand rolled Robusto

Tony Tony Tony

Aren't Cuban cigars supposedly rolled on the thigh of a virgin?

If that doesn't appeal to your average CaBber nothing will.

Also isn't there some scurrilous tale concerning Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky involving a cigar?

Edit: Found it....

QuoteIndependent Counsel Kenneth Starr's report to the House on President Bill Clinton includes testimony from Lewinsky about a sexual encounter involving a cigar. According to the testimony, Clinton inserted a cigar into Lewinsky's vagina during an encounter on March 31, 1996. Clinton then put the cigar in his mouth and said, "It tastes good," according to the report.

From https://heavy.com/entertainment/monica-lewinsky-cigar-bill-clinton-brand/

Johnny Foreigner

My cigar brand has been out of stock for nearly two months. This lorry driver shortage is turning into a national crisis.

Michael Schumacher liked to treat himself to a chekky cigar at the end of a successful racing season and now he's brain dead, so let that be a warning to you.

rack and peanut

You'll get lip cancer smoking those

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on November 01, 2021, 11:13:58 PM
Aren't Cuban cigars supposedly rolled on the thigh of a virgin?

If that doesn't appeal to your average CaBber nothing will.

Also isn't there some scurrilous tale concerning Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky involving a cigar?

Edit: Found it....

From https://heavy.com/entertainment/monica-lewinsky-cigar-bill-clinton-brand/

Beagle 2

They're fucking revolting. Somebody smokes one in Portsmouth and you can smell it in Arbroath. The last time I had the pleasure was when I was desperate for a tab at my leaving do from a job, so I approached a man I hadn't bothered my arse speaking to for five years, made conversation for as long as I thought was acceptable and then asked for a bang on his big fat stinking cigar. Smoked it like a fag because I'm a hard man and then passed out in the alleyway outside. And I guess that's how I'm remembered at that place. Aloof, thieving and unconscious.

Mr Banlon

Just brought back from NYC.

26 Robustos. 21 Connecticut leaf. 5 Maduros. (One a month, so three years worth)

Chedney Honks

If you live that long 😂😂😂

Dex Sawash

Another CaBber goes to america and doesn't come to NC for CaB meet

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 14, 2021, 04:19:12 PM
Another CaBber goes to america and doesn't come to NC for CaB meet
My kid brother brought them back for me. I have aviophobia (since 2001), and haven't been back to NYC since 1995.

wrec

When I officially gave up fags (was mostly a rollie smoker) I ended up habitually bumming smokes in the pub. The whole "I will never smoke again" thing was too daunting so I decided I'd have the odd cigar when drinking. I think Henri Winterman half coronas were what usually went with. Unfortunately this coincided with the smoking ban. I'd go out to the smoking area with friends, they'd be finished and I'd be outside talking to strangers and missing the top quality bants ensuing inside. Alternatively I could stub out the cigar and have it stink out my jacket pocket. Eventually stopped buying them, still occasionally bummed rollies when out but that lost its appeal. On holiday in Berlin they had some kind of tiny cigarillos - would have found it hard to give them up if they had them easily available here as they were a quick smoke that solved the smoking area issue.

A friend was visiting Cuba around this time so I got him to get about €50 worth of assorted cigars. They were all pretty good but the best of all was one that a farmer had rolled in front of them and given them in exchange for chocolate. It was like a perfect loose joint.

Have no desire to smoke rollies / cigarettes these days but would never say never with a good cigar in the right circumstances, though it's been years.

Johnny Foreigner

Quote from: wrec on November 14, 2021, 06:01:06 PM
I think Henri Winterman half coronas were what usually went with. Unfortunately this coincided with the smoking ban. I'd go out to the smoking area with friends, they'd be finished and I'd be outside talking to strangers and missing the top quality bants ensuing inside. Alternatively I could stub out the cigar and have it stink out my jacket pocket.

Yes, those are very nice, a bit sweetish. But they have been out of stock at my Tesco for yonks.
I frequently count distances in cigars. From here to Tesco is three quarters of a Henri Wintermans. It's a three-cigar walk to work.