Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:33:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Armando Ianucci has written a faux-epic poem about Covid

Started by AllisonSays, September 25, 2021, 10:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

i think armando ianucci getting in grave would do wonders for our mental health issues

Ferris

Mobius

Gregory Torso

Embarrassing.

imitationleather

neveragain

Not defending the epic poem but...

Of man's - Flintstones
First - Meet
Dis-o-bed... - The Flintstones
ience - They're
And the fruit - A page right
Of that for-bid-den - Out of his-tor-y
Tree - tree

No, it doesn't work. But it made me laugh in the 90's.

Catalogue Trousers

Iannuci! I beg of you, why
Should such a satirical guy
Out of the thick of it
Write such gibbering shit:
Has your brain told you 'fuckety-bye'?

Catalogue Trousers

Haiku version

He writes of Covid
In manner wry and cutting
But looks like a twat

idunnosomename

There once was a man: Iannucci
Who once ruled over satire like a duchy
Now he wrote a poem so bad
It's really just sad
He should die on the waybacktohisplanet like Poochie

Cuellar

Mister Six

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 26, 2021, 02:35:35 AM
We're probably just at the start of what'll be a few years of utterly atrocious pieces of art being commercially released that were forced into existence over the pandemic.

And the worst thing is that the best possible piece of art to spring from the pandemic already happened while the first year was unfolding, rendering everything that follows redundant. I am, of course, talking about this.

Quote from: Mister Six on September 26, 2021, 08:20:28 PM
And the worst thing is that the best possible piece of art to spring from the pandemic already happened while the first year was unfolding, rendering everything that follows redundant. I am, of course, talking about this.

Honestly disappointed it's not the Indie All-Stars cover of Chasing Rainbows. Nothing else sums up our turbulent times quite like it. Nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRD-it5_uIA

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 26, 2021, 02:35:35 AM
We're probably just at the start of what'll be a few years of utterly atrocious pieces of art being commercially released that were forced into existence over the pandemic.
But peanutbutter, aren't you giddy with anticipation of the inevitable release of THE PANDEMIC BUT IT'S A FAIRYTALE?

Absolutely agree. I bought the book version because I feel like it'll be important later, to have this piece of art made during the pandemic and taking inspiration from it as the months went by.

idunnosomename

thought that was going to be the Captain Tom thread

bgmnts

O' Iannucci,
Ach y fi,
Wad'ing through treac'l,
Molasses of shit art.
O' Iannucci,
Like a handbag of Gucci,
Pretension of quality.

Chollis

H-O-W-L

I like TTOI and The Death of Stalin but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhck

imitationleather

All of Iannucci's mates are currently dreading receiving this from him for Christmas.

idunnosomename

Midas

hope satan smites this cunt and then fucks off back into non-existence

dissolute ocelot

I was forced to read Alexander Pope's The Rape of the Lock and The Dunciad at university, and that's at least 2 mock-epic poems too many for one lifetime. Dunciad is OK in 2-line excerpts (if you just read the quotes about analingus), but The Rape of the Lock (1000+ lines about a tiff between posh young people) is intolerable no matter how long or short the passage you quote is, and I feel Armando is going for that level of terribleness. A poem that is literally unreadable even at the level of a single word.

GMTV

Mortgage is paid/ nearly paid, but the kids need money for uni, or he's a granda now etc. He's got the CV he's proud of so fuck it earn a bit for the future.

Sad to see but can understand his motivations. Always thought he'd have been above this. Chris Morris is the last one holding out, if we start seeing dross from him appearing regularly you know they've all given in.

Captain Z

Chris Morris is still at the researching stage for a satirical radio play about the horse meat scandal.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: GMTV on September 27, 2021, 11:12:12 AM
Mortgage is paid/ nearly paid, but the kids need money for uni, or he's a granda now etc. He's got the CV he's proud of so fuck it earn a bit for the future.

The guy's been on the HBO gravy train for the last decade; I'd be very surprised if he isn't comfortably a multi-millionaire.

gilbertharding

I've said it before, but Iannucci's Radio 1 show from the mid 90s is being repeated on Radio 4 Extra right now - if you want to know what a useless, unfunny wanker he (and David Schneider, and Richard Herring for that matter) was always capable of being.

dead-ced-dead

Sad to see but can understand his motivations. Always thought he'd have been above this. Chris Morris is the last one holding out, if we start seeing dross from him appearing regularly you know they've all given in.

Chris Morris did make The Day Shall Come, which had Anna Kendrick and certainly had one eye on cracking the American market, so it's not like he hasn't tried.

But I suppose, even with the bigger budget/cast, the film was still quite venomous, but it's certainly less so (and less good) than Four Lions.

peanutbutter

Nah, the article says he's giving all of his money from it to charity. I'm sure he feels the poem is of zero commercial value beyond whatever his name gives anything tbf.

The questionable bit is that he felt a need to shop it around to publishers rather than just putting it out there. Like, that the act of making it wasn't sufficient justification for doing it... even though it's for charity there's soemthing about that that rubs me the wrong way. Either he thinks it's really good and would've been wasted just put up online or a sense that any art he makes must be able to extract some manner of monetary gain (even if it isn't directly for him), or maybe something else, I dunno

idunnosomename

It doesnt say anywhere in the blurb it's for a mental health charity. Maybe "profit" is minus the labour writing it. Also, he'll still get the tax break