Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:30:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Holding Probably Unfair Grudges

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 25, 2021, 11:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oggyraiding

Jerry Sadowitz called me "a Muslim cunt with an upside down head" which seemed pretty harsh. Since then I struggle to enjoy his work.

Midas

Stopped enjoying the existence of David Mitchell after hearing him come out with transphobic patter on an ancient interview clip from some crap Russell Brand radio rubbish from yesteryear.

neveragain

What sort of stuff was he saying? There's always the chance he's re-evaluated his opinions, although Robert Webb does seem to veer towards intolerance. I can't remember what he said now but there was something in his How Not To Be A Boy(?) book that struck a gloomy note.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: turnstyle on September 29, 2021, 02:28:00 PM
Back at the turn of the millennium, someone I had the serious hots for in my friend group when to see [FAMOUS COMIC OFF THE TELLY], and had a such a great time that she ended up in the backstage area, where [FAMOUS COMIC OFF THE TELLY] ended up getting into her backstage area.

Previously I was indifferent to the work of [FAMOUS COMIC OFF THE TELLY], but after that incident I found him about as funny as a turd flavoured Angel Delight, and even now, twenty years on, when I see him on anything I just imagine him plowing into my friend, her no doubt somewhere between stirring orgasm and hysterical laughter as he thrusts and quips at the same time.

Bastard.

Still, happy endings and all that, he never returned her calls afterwards, and she went on to marry a welder.

I laughed at the idea of turd flavoured angel delight

kngen

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on October 04, 2021, 09:03:57 PM
I laughed at the idea of turd flavoured angel delight

It made me miss Angel Delight (although not turd-flavoured).

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 25, 2021, 07:11:21 PM
A similar thing happened to me. I got up for a widdle and the compere said, "Where the hobbit going?"

It didn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, I played along by doing a hobbity pose, which drew a laugh from the audience (that I chose to believe was with me, rather than at me).

I went to see Jerry Sadowitz live in Bolton a few years back. We were sat in the middle of a medium sized venue (Albert Halls). My bladder was full of lager and I was gagging for a piss. I tried to wait it out until the end, but it was impossible. I had to go. So, during the last 15 minutes, where he's shouting and raging away, I coyly stood up and left for the most relieving piss ever. I returned and sheepishly sat back down. Jerry said absolutely nothing about it and didn't flinch from the material. I've always weirdly respected that.

neveragain

Use of the word 'tranny' for a laugh. It's not nice and wouldn't be done now but I feared that was going to be much worse, pictured him solemnly mumbling "No, it's impossible to change your gender.." or something along those lines. As it stands, I'm relieved that's all it was. Like hearing Vic and Bob say "puff" in one of their old shows, it's a bit nasty but I don't rush to cancel because of it.

After a second's thought edit: I do understand saying transsexual people look like chimps isn't right at all, and I don't believe that or that you should say it etc etc etc, but on first listen I took it more that he was saying a chimp in a dress doesn't look right more than making fun of the people mentioned. And yeah I understand how it could cause offence. I'm still glad it wasn't worse and hope/presume Mitchell would be happy to live and let live no matter who you are.

peteprodge

Quote from: neveragain on October 05, 2021, 12:14:44 PM
Use of the word 'tranny' for a laugh. It's not nice and wouldn't be done now but I feared that was going to be much worse, pictured him solemnly mumbling "No, it's impossible to change your gender.." or something along those lines. As it stands, I'm relieved that's all it was. Like hearing Vic and Bob say "puff" in one of their old shows, it's a bit nasty but I don't rush to cancel because of it.

Um, he's describing all "trannies" as looking like gorillas.

neveragain

Yeah, I just made an edit. This is not really worth any debate and I'm willing to concede it was a shitty comment.
Selfishly, I hope it's obvious how I could perceive a crass joke as a better than an insidious comment about how trans people don't deserve to exist, which is what I expected to hear from an older white and wealthy comedian.

sovietrussia

R Herring doing his Christ on a Bike revival, about ten years ago.  I'd really become a fan on the back of the Collings and Herrin podcast (and also liked his old TV stuff with Stewart Lee) and had a lot of goodwill towards him (I'd even met him briefly on the book tour for his dreadful memoir).  It was a smallish venue and he was irked by some (impossible for us to hear) woman speaking during his act.  Alright - I get that this is a big bugbear for some comics and it can be extremely rude.  But a) it didn't seem that bad and b) he stopped his recital and proceeded to spend 15 minutes or so berating the woman relentlessly.  What left a really sour taste was his directing of constant, repeated, personal and extremely unpleasant slurs, frequently suffixed with "darlin'", with nods and gestures to the rest of the audience as in "I'm really going to town on this bitch, isn't it funny?".  Well it wasn't.  It was awful, odd and interminable.  It was only brought to an end by his insistence that the venue eject her and only then could he continue with his sideways look at the bible.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 25, 2021, 11:53:51 AM
Tom Allen - Reprimanded an audience at an Edinburgh preview for not laughing enough, and kept on referring to it throughout his set. This is the thing which gets my back up the most about stand up, if the audience aren't laughing there's probably a good reason for that, sure, you might get the occasional rubbish and surly group, but if the other comedians got laughs and you didn't blaming the audience really isn't a good look.

Saw Tom Allen at explodingvinyl's comedy night. He also had a problem with the audience not laughing enough here, and referred to it regularly. Overall, he seemed to be disappointed to be having to lower himself to perform in the tiny provincial backwater of Manchester. He made frequent reference to how popular his jokes were back in London; of course, we just had to take his word for it.

I've seen him on television now, and he seems to carry this superior attitude with him wherever he goes.

Fr.Bigley

Tom Allen doesn't have an act does he? Just some wry quip that's followed by a mannerism or eye roll to reinforce the "punchline". Just a one trick pony.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Ray Travez on October 05, 2021, 11:13:29 PM
I've seen Tom Allen on television now, and he seems to carry this superior attitude with him wherever he goes.
It's quite difficult to avoid seeing him on television, he's on bastarding everything.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Was it Tom Allen who had a guest spot on Stephen K Amos' tv show, where he was repeatedly billed as 'raconteur' as opposed to stand-up or comedian, which seems to be managing expectations.

amateur

robhug

Fr.Bigley

But he's not posh in anyway, he's gone on record saying that the accent is super affected. It's a performative tool, just like himself.

He's fro. The east end or something.

jobotic

amateur

I stand corrected:

Not posh
Still shit

phantom_power

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on October 06, 2021, 08:59:06 AM
Was it Tom Allen who had a guest spot on Stephen K Amos' tv show, where he was repeatedly billed as 'raconteur' as opposed to stand-up or comedian, which seems to be managing expectations.

He seems very much someone who used stand-up as a pathway to a career in presenting

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on October 06, 2021, 09:37:28 AM
But he's not posh in anyway, he's gone on record saying that the accent is super affected. It's a performative tool, just like himself.

He's fro. The east end or something.

He went to school with Rob Beckett, which gives you an idea of his real accent. I believe he also used to wear a top hat and tails to school, just in case you didn't dislike him enough.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: turnstyle on September 29, 2021, 02:28:00 PM
Back at the turn of the millennium, someone I had the serious hots for in my friend group when to see [FAMOUS COMIC OFF THE TELLY], and had a such a great time that she ended up in the backstage area, where [FAMOUS COMIC OFF THE TELLY] ended up getting into her backstage area.

Previously I was indifferent to the work of [FAMOUS COMIC OFF THE TELLY], but after that incident I found him about as funny as a turd flavoured Angel Delight, and even now, twenty years on, when I see him on anything I just imagine him plowing into my friend, her no doubt somewhere between stirring orgasm and hysterical laughter as he thrusts and quips at the same time.

Bastard.

Still, happy endings and all that, he never returned her calls afterwards, and she went on to marry a welder.

Come on Turnstyle, it's been almost a week now you've been taunting us. We need a name. WHO THE FUCK was this welder?

Fr.Bigley

Gregory Torso

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 06, 2021, 10:27:25 AM
He went to school with Rob Beckett, which gives you an idea of his real accent.

But what if Rob Beckett is the one affecting an accent and his "i darn't read bwooks, you faaaahaaaackin kermit" voice is an attempt to 'thicken' himself for panel shows and the like?

Fr.Bigley

I saw Rob beckett having a cup of tea and a cake in Otley some years back and he sounded a lot more diluted than he does on the telly

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Gregory Torso on October 06, 2021, 11:24:41 AM
But what if Rob Beckett is the one affecting an accent and his "i darn't read bwooks, you faaaahaaaackin kermit" voice is an attempt to 'thicken' himself for panel shows and the like?

Oh, that's exactly what he's doing, he doesn't think he'd be as popular if people didn't think he was a blokey bloke, which he isn't. His accent is the only bit of his persona that's real but it wouldn't suprise me if he was playing it up a bit for TV.

metaltax

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 25, 2021, 06:44:14 PM
That story has affected my image of Davies ever since, especially since he presents himself as this chilled out, whimsical cheeky chappy. Here's his side of it, anyway:

He tells more of the story (from his side anyway) on the latest Griefcast podcast, if anyone's interested.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on October 06, 2021, 12:23:19 PM
I saw Rob beckett having a cup of tea and a cake in Otley some years back and he sounded a lot more diluted than he does on the telly

Maybe he'd been drinking lots of water