Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Holding Probably Unfair Grudges

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 25, 2021, 11:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Povidone

Might have told this story on here before but it fits. Many years ago I was in the employ of the son of former Rangers owner David Murray. Apparently daddy nae-legs had decided to give his ineffectual progeny a wedge to start up a few businesses in Edinburgh all of which were run in to the ground within 5 years. I was in the spectacularly ill-designed Circus Cafe which boasted a deli counter and wine cellar on its basement level, the place was so poorly advertised and hidden away at the bottom of the building that it was usually a ghost town for the duration of my 10 hour shifts and we would be lucky to take £100 a day.

At the time I was still living out of town so when the shop closed at 7 I had to quickly close up by myself and hoof it up to Waverly with hopes of catching the 7.30 train, it was vitally important I did so as otherwise I'd be waiting another 2 hours for the next one.

One night, about three minutes before closing time, who should stride in but noted Stockbridge resident and sole creator of the sitcom Black Books Mr Dylan Moran. He glanced at me as he stepped down into the shop and shuffled over to the wine and proceeded to fart about for the next ten to fifteen minutes perusing and appeared at the counter around 7.15 with the cheapest bottle available and moodily proffered me a tenner. At this point there was no way I was getting my train and I could barely muster the desire to engage him in even the mildest of pleasantries like "I loved that sitcom that was created solely by you" and I very much got the impression that it wouldn't have gone over well anyway.

So yeah, every time I'm enjoying an old episode of Black Books (the sitcom he created without the help of anyone else) or one of his wonderful standup sets there is still a part of me thinking "why didn't you just go to Oddbins you cunt".

Jockice

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on September 27, 2021, 02:13:07 PM
David Baddiel, almost entirely for that thing on TMWE when he kept having a go at some odd kid that had been in his class at school and was a bit weird (looking back on it, probably had some autistic traits) and kept mentioning him by name. Then when he appeared on the Richard Herring podcast, he mentioned that the kid's sister had contacted him and was pretty upset about the whole thing, as was the then-kid himself. Except Baddiel seemed to consider both of them had acted in quite an embarrassing way, and if anything, he was the victim.

Obviously, he's done worse things since, but I've always had an intense distaste for him based on that specific bit of shit-housery.

i may not be exactly right here but I think this guy's sister mentioned that their dad was dying when they were at school and Baddiel said (seemingly without any regret) that was part of the reason he got picked on. And Rob Newman also had a routine about an odd kid he was at school with but couldn't use his real name. To which Baddiel replied that he couldn't NOT use his victim's real name. Most unpleasant.

neveragain

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 27, 2021, 10:59:28 AM
It's absolutely sickening, cuntish behaviour of the worst kind, I listened to the following podcast to see if they'd apologise or try and justify their actions, but all they did was try and get the person who'd complained to call in so they could talk it over with him, and the show as a whole was awful once again. I've heard Webster being described as "A comedian's comedian" but I've no idea why as he just seems like a lazy hack shit to me, even if you ignore the horrendous behaviour we're talking about, I mean christ, look at this shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukQXdiGMOrg

Also, check out his sitcom "I've Got A Job For You Gav" for free on Amazon Prime.

The Ombudsman

The more I read about Baddiel, the more he seems like an utter cunt. I can't see anything he's done that redeems his character in any way.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Jockice on September 27, 2021, 02:35:26 PM
i may not be exactly right here but I think this guy's sister mentioned that their dad was dying when they were at school and Baddiel said (seemingly without any regret) that was part of the reason he got picked on. And Rob Newman also had a routine about an odd kid he was at school with but couldn't use his real name. To which Baddiel replied that he couldn't NOT use his victim's real name. Most unpleasant.

Well, that sounds slightly worse than I remembered, bloody hell.

Jockice

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on September 27, 2021, 02:39:02 PM
Well, that sounds slightly worse than I remembered, bloody hell.

I can't say for sure it's 100% accurate but it's what I remember.

PaulTMA

Baddiel absolutely loved pulling 'spaz' faces too, on his various shows.  When did he finally stop doing that?  He'd be in his 30s by Fantasy Football.

bigfatheart

Am I right in thinking that Stewart Lee has said that Baddiel had warned him against slagging off celebs/comedians he didn't know, because he'd meet them and feel guilty that they were nice? Cus if I am remembering that right, it's remarkable how much of Baddiel's worldview really is 'rich people good, poor people scum'.

Gurke and Hare

If you listen to the radio MWE, there's some really horrible shit on there, pretty much all Newman and Baddiel bits. The best bits were always Punt and Dennis doing silly Dad's Army impressions.

stephenjwz

we are klang criticized my shoes at the invisible dot (older camden one?).
harry hill stood on my foot at the invisible dot (more recent kings cross one).
the acts did their jobs and used these interactions to generate mirth so I can't fault them.
But I was wary of the invisible dot organisation after these incidents of foot based trauma and think I only went once more (Tim Key, who thankfully stayed away from the whole area).
I guess it wasn't a full on grudge as I couldn't honestly take pleasure in their bankruptcy.

neov1974

to react to the thread title
where I live and have lived for most of my life, I know loads of people from literally school days
and occasionally someone will mention someone and i'll think and say "yes, aren't they awful"
based on some half remembered but seemingly very good reason
upon reflection it may be something they did as small children and i've just known of them so long
and disliked them for all that time because perhaps they pushed someone in a sandpit

Juan K Perros

Quote from: mippy on September 25, 2021, 06:07:25 PM
My ex hated Richard Herring because, in 1999, he  tried to hand him a flyer for an Edinburgh show and Herring apparently sneered "I don't THINK so."

Last time I was at the Fringe - 2012 I think - off to see Marek Larwood and the flyer guy for Stephen K Amos was busy explaining to me why I must go and see Stephen K Amos and I was explaining I'd rather eat my own firstborn than go and see Stephen K Amos, while unbeknownst to me Stephen K Amos was standing about 6 feet behind me, apparently not looking very impressed. No idea if he still holds a grudge, but he didn't like me much that day, by my wife's account.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I didn't know that ever happened in real life.

Jockice

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 27, 2021, 08:27:27 PM
I didn't know that ever happened in real life.

It's happened to me in real life. Not with anyone famous though. Unless you know Claire from my class at school or Ruth who ran a hairdressers and I dismissed as an 'awful woman' despite never having spoken to her in my life and not realising she was standing in the club queue a couple of spaces behind me. Shudder!

Quote from: Juan K Perros on September 27, 2021, 08:24:28 PM
Last time I was at the Fringe - 2012 I think - off to see Marek Larwood and the flyer guy for Stephen K Amos was busy explaining to me why I must go and see Stephen K Amos and I was explaining I'd rather eat my own firstborn than go and see Stephen K Amos, while unbeknownst to me Stephen K Amos was standing about 6 feet behind me, apparently not looking very impressed. No idea if he still holds a grudge, but he didn't like me much that day, by my wife's account.

To be fair, there are plenty of reasons to hold definitely fair grudges against Stephen K Amos these days. Sadly, not enough comedy promoters do.

Spoiler alert
Hello Stephen's legal team!
[close]

Holmesy

Quote from: Povidone on September 27, 2021, 02:13:42 PM
Apparently daddy nae-legs

What a cunty thing to say.

I'm glad Moran made you miss your train.

Pimhole

In the early 90s I went to see Mark Lamarr do stand up and dragged along a friend and her boyfriend. Said boyfriend was older than us, Glaswegian and could be rather blunt in that genial Glaswegian kind of way. I went to the toilet after the show and when I came out, Lamarr was yelling at my friend's bf. I thought "oh dear, what's he said now?". It turned out that the bf had approached Lamarr and said something along the lines of "nice show, I thought you were a bit of a prick on The Word but fair play, that was good". Lamarr was FURIOUS at this and towering over the shortarse bf, inches from his face, spitting venom. I tried to defuse the situation so he turned on me too. This was I think my first encounter with someone who was "coked up". I didn't know it at the time, but have later come to recognise it and now whenever I see someone coked up I think "...gone a bit Mark Lamarr over there".

Ever since then I've thought Lamarr was a cunt and it's great that the internet came along and quickly filled up with people sharing stories that completely vindicate that opinion.

C_Larence

Four or five years ago Rhys James tweeted about having his laptop stolen from backstage at a gig. The tweet has since been deleted, or at least I can't find it anymore, but it said something along the lines of "some nobody has stolen my laptop from the green room" and I thought that was such a cunty way to talk about it, especially as this is well before anyone outside of twitter knew who Rhys James was. More recently I shared a lift with him at Regent's Park tube station and he was with a very attractive girl, which only served to rankle me even more.

The bald one from Pappys told me to "cheer up" during their set at End Of The Road festival because I wasn't laughing. If they'd tried being funny they might have had more luck.

Nowhere Man

There's a good chance he meant 'nobody' in the sense of the person who nicked his laptop being a bit shit for doing so, rather than them not being famous, surely? Sounds like he was just quite livid at anyone for stealing his laptop, famous or not.

Edit: To be honest, I mixed up yer man with Griff Rhys Jones, no idea who the fuck Rhys James is

Fuck-it post

C_Larence

Quote from: Nowhere Man on September 28, 2021, 04:32:46 AM
There's a good chance he meant 'nobody' in the sense of the person who nicked his laptop being a bit shit for doing so, rather than them not being famous, surely?

Is that a common connotation of the word nobody? I've never heard it used that way before.

Quote from: Nowhere Man on September 28, 2021, 04:32:46 AMEdit: To be honest, I mixed up yer man with Griff Rhys Jones, no idea who the fuck Rhys James is

He's on mock the week quite a lot so I suppose he's on other shows that I don't know about too.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: C_Larence on September 28, 2021, 11:33:21 AM
Is that a common connotation of the word nobody? I've never heard it used that way before.
I've heard it both ways.

neveragain

Obviously he was angry about the laptop. It might betray some snobbishness but it's forgivable. I don't know who he is either.

chveik

love it when tim in on cinema call actors that aren't as famous as tom cruise 'nobodies'

Icehaven

Quote from: C_Larence on September 28, 2021, 02:18:12 AM

The bald one from Pappys told me to "cheer up" during their set at End Of The Road festival because I wasn't laughing. If they'd tried being funny they might have had more luck.

I had a similar thing at an open mic/variety night when a standup (not a famous one) picked on me for not laughing, and he actually came over to the table and tried to get me to interact with him. Unbeknownst to him I was having the most fucking horrible day, was utterly miserable and only there because my band was on after the stand-up bit and I hadn't wanted to let them down even though I desperately didn't want to be there. He soon fucked off when I just stared into the middle distance but if he ever gets famous I'll find it hard not to bear an enormous grudge, which would probably be unfair given he wasn't to know, and also impossible because I don't remember his name or what he looked like.

Jerzy Bondov

A comedian who isn't famous enough where he'd be fair game to name here put the moves on a girl I was trying to cop off with at a festival. Unlike me he wasn't short of female attention and I managed to cop off with her anyway, but I still made sure not to laugh at his set.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: C_Larence on September 28, 2021, 11:33:21 AM

Might have been using it in the same way a person from Liverpool would say " No- Mark".

jfjnpxmy

One time Shazia Mirza did a set at the local comedy night, and afterwards she made a pretty concerted effort to chat up my [oblivious] dad, even going so far as to take me aside and ask me to bugger off cause she was on the pull. I don't blame her, my dad's a good looking bloke, but my mum's held a burning grudge ever since.

Also her set was blisteringly funny and unimaginably crude, but every time I've seen her since she's been a kinda tepid inoffensive pseudo-lefty. What happened there?

dissolute ocelot

Always hated Jarred Christmas for being called Jarred Christmas.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 28, 2021, 04:24:37 PM
Always hated Jarred Christmas for being called Jarred Christmas.

I hated him for those Flight of the Concorde rip-off Pot Noodle ads, but I wouldn't call that an unfair grudge.

Fr.Bigley

I once saw Mick Ferry propping up the bar at the caves circa 2014 fringe.

I thought it prudent to say "hey, what part of Yorkshire is that accent from?"

His reply, bare in mind the irony was actually lost on him was "I'm not from from Yorkshire, I'm from Lancashire you fucking prick"

I swear to christ my missus had to stop me following out for a tab and giving him a slap. Shite act, shite personality, and smelled faintly of piss.