Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:43:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spencer (2021, Kristen Stewart is Diana, Princess Of Our Hearts)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 25, 2021, 02:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

The first trailer is now out for this Diana sort of biopic, though it seems to focus on her final days. It looks hilarious too, lots of shots of the Queen looking evil, Diana asking if they'll kill her, Charles rambling on about doing something for the good of the country, all the while a choir sings Perfect Day. I had absolutely sod all interest in this before, but given how absurd the whole thing looks I'm quite looking forward to it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WllZh9aekDg

Why are they all whispering?
Why does it look like a photograph from the 70s? She died in 1997.

checkoutgirl

Too much royal family stuff. I know it's not aimed at me but still.

jobotic

Butchers Blind

Gulftastic

Now he can't sue, I'm looking forward to the scenes of Philip arranging the crash.

Catalogue Trousers

If you want the best laugh of all, just read the comments on that trailer. Such sappy reverence and foaming pseudishness all in one place. Delicious. *chef's kiss*

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on September 25, 2021, 06:04:03 PM
If you want the best laugh of all, just read the comments on that trailer. Such sappy reverence and foaming pseudishness all in one place. Delicious. *chef's kiss*

I've been enjoying reading them as well, and this one particularly amused:

QuoteJust by this trailer, if this film doesn't get at least Best Actress, Best Score, Best Costume, Best Makeup and Best Cinematography Oscar nominations I'll raise holy hell

It's the "Best Makeup" bit that does it for me, I mean christ, look at the lipstick! And the blusher on her face! If it doesn't win for that I'll go fucking mental!

dissolute ocelot

I found the director's Jackie Kennedy film to be a bit dull and pointless, so I won't be rushing for this unless it's of manifest awfulness. And even if I wanted a bad Diana film, I've not watched the Naomi Watts one which has 7% on Rotten Tomatoes. The affectless, dazed Kristen Stewart is bizarre casting too, even if her Diana is intentionally affectless and dazed-looking. And fucking Perfect Day too! I'd rather Prince Philip killed me than be forced to watch this.

Dex Sawash

Probably will just watch the Spencer action film with <checks IMDB> Marky Mark

SteveDave

Wooooo mama!

"Will they kill me do you think?"

I laughed too hard at "Diana" and I will laugh again at this load of old toot.

Icehaven

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 25, 2021, 06:27:33 PM

QuoteJust by this trailer, if this film doesn't get at least Best Actress, Best Score, Best Costume, Best Makeup and Best Cinematography Oscar nominations I'll raise holy hell

And by "raise holy hell" they mainly mean they'll moan about it on a few social media platforms for half an hour or so.
This film looks bizarre. Why now? And if the real Diana had actually walked around with her head tipped like that all the time rather than just when she was trying to elicit sympathy or look concerned she'd have ended up deformed. I've never watched The Crown and I probably won't watch this but it does amuse me  to hear about these mad takes on the royal family's recent history and know how much it must piss them off. Just wish Phil had lived to see it, *dabs eye*.

Gulftastic

If it did win a shit load of Oscars, I bet Johnson would use it as a dead cat and declare it to be an insult to are Queen of Hearts.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: icehaven on September 27, 2021, 02:15:25 PM
This film looks bizarre. Why now? 

25 years next year since she took that ill fated lift home.

dissolute ocelot

Spencer: For Hire.

Di forced to work as a prostitute by an evil supervillain who turns out to be Prince Philip.

Spencer: For Higher.

Charles worries that his wife is taller than him. His attempts to maim her lead to her getting robotic T Rex legs and stalking Kensington Gardens biting the heads off corgis.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 27, 2021, 01:06:36 PM
Spencer sounds like a modern Bond title.

Or a modern day film adaptation of Some Mothers Do Ave Em.

"Ooh Betty" as Perfect Day plays in the background.

The first seventeen seconds...Princess Diana is LATE to meet the QUEEN. It's not like the Queen's got a packed day either, she's at Balmoral (?).

Who is the person hugging Diana - did she have a maid?

GoblinAhFuckScary

looks like a great laugh but i barely winced myself through that trailer good fucking grief

Icehaven

Perfect Day is an odd choice. What's the perfect day, the doomed wedding day? The Bashir interview? The day she died in a tunnel?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: icehaven on September 27, 2021, 04:35:21 PM
Perfect Day is an odd choice. What's the perfect day, the doomed wedding day? The Bashir interview? The day she died in a tunnel?

The lovely heroin rush she experienced every day being a perfect day.

imitationleather

chveik

Billy

It was number one shortly after she died, wasn't it? They could have chosen Barbie Girl or Spice Up Your Life instead.

dissolute ocelot

I think the film's set over a day or a small number of days[nb]rather than being a proper biography of Diana[/nb], and Perfect Day is the only pop song ever written about a day.

colacentral

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 25, 2021, 06:27:33 PM

It's the "Best Makeup" bit that does it for me, I mean christ, look at the lipstick! And the blusher on her face! If it doesn't win for that I'll go fucking mental!

In fairness, I think they're talking about the level of period specific detail, make up included. I was personally struck by the shot of the food, that awful dated mid-90s Michelin star style which is very specific to that era.

Hence also why "Perfect Day" is being used, because as mentioned above, it was everywhere around that time. It was in Trainspotting the year before, and then used for Comic Relief in 1997. I understood why they were using it in the trailer the moment it started playing.

This monstrosity might jog your memories:

https://youtu.be/dfddYDRIFGY

El Unicornio, mang

I am a bit of a sucker for this kind of thing (see also: The Crown) and there'll be a ready made audience (particularly in America).

Although I have a friend who looks EXACTLY like Kristen Stewart (got called Twilight Girl all the time and dyed her hair blonde to distance herself from such an iconic role, lol) and is a bit of a posh drama queen so I was finding it hard to take the trailer seriously because of that.