Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:25:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lab-Grown Meat

Started by Keebleman, September 25, 2021, 08:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

Or 'cultured meat', 'clean meat', 'in-vitro meat', lots of other names.  It's meat, genuine meat, that is manufactured.  The cells are grown without any animal having to be slaughtered.  There is a lot of work, research, money and hope being invested in it, and when it succeeds it will transform the world in ways that will, on balance, probably, be positive. 

But scratch that 'when' and put 'if', because this article presents many good reasons to be skeptical that such meat can ever be economically viable, even if the colossal technological challenges to make it can be overcome.

https://thecounter.org/lab-grown-cultivated-meat-cost-at-scale/

For people like me, who had been dreaming of the day when the arse of one cow would feed all of humanity for ever, it is a sobering read. 

Shit Good Nose

PlanktonSideburns

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think there's enough precedence to not write off emerging technology just because the paradigm doesn't suggest viability.

Last I read they had got lab meat down to being served up for $45 dollars in a restaurant so not even that far away.

I'd be happy to spare them the effort and eat a plant burger tbh. With some chorizo and cheese, not giving them up.

Quote from: Keebleman on September 25, 2021, 08:45:05 PMdreaming of the day when the arse of one cow would feed all of humanity for ever

Spoiler alert
yo mama
[close]

JamesTC

Had a beef and tomato Pot Noodle the other day and it said vegetarian on it, so I think the boffins have figured it out.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: JamesTC on September 25, 2021, 09:44:21 PM
Had a beef and tomato Pot Noodle the other day and it said vegetarian on it, so I think the boffins have figured it out.

Powder isn't it. Space food. Outer space food.

This is without even consulting the Japanese.

Japanese! Japanese! Please come in here now The Japanese!

shiftwork2

Widespread veganism is inevitable and not far off; this is a step on the way.

bgmnts

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 25, 2021, 09:58:19 PM
Widespread veganism is inevitable and not far off; this is a step on the way.

Make it sound like a disease.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's nice getting adverts now and then for Not Chicken type products and dipping in to read the gammon commentary. How can you get that het up about textured wheat protein, or others dietary requirements I have no idea.

BURRR ERRTZ NERRT CHURKERRRRRRRRRN

poo

Blap a jar of Pataks on the fucker and I'll smash the cunt into next week

Chedney Honks

I would happily eat tofu seven days a week, but I've no interest in eating basically lab grown tumours.

thenoise

Quote from: JamesTC on September 25, 2021, 09:44:21 PM

All the pot noodles are vegetarian. Its soya mince and flavoured powder like they put on meat flavoured crisps (which are also vegetarian, apart from the very posh one).
The only crisps that aren't vegetarian are the cheese ones.

seepage

I thought quite a few meat flavour crisps aren't vegetarian e.g. Walkers Sensations Steak & Chimichurri [contains "Beef Powder"] or would you class those as very posh?

thenoise

To a pot noodle fan, yes.