Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,494
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:45:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan to play Savile on telly

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, September 26, 2021, 07:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 26, 2021, 08:46:19 PM
Can't wait for the bit when he is just leaving the morgue

Will they even go there I wonder?

buttgammon

Now then now then Lynn, I've pierced my foot on a spike (while trying to climb back into the grounds of the hospital morgue).

Lost Oliver

Honestly, the more I hear about Savile the less I like him.

JamesTC

Quote from: Lost Oliver on September 26, 2021, 10:21:47 PM
Honestly, the more I hear about Savile the less I like him.

Wait till you hear about all the nonce stuff.

imitationleather

Wait till you hear about his political views, more like!!!

pigamus

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 26, 2021, 07:38:19 PM
What's Boris Johnson got to do with this thread?

I see Joe Pasquale's turned up

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I do wonder if a better angle would be to just deplatform Savile altogether, not even shown him on screen and position the documentary on how famous faces gained unfettered access and knew which buttons to press to gain favours and blackmail people into silence. You probably wouldn't need to even show him on screen. The on screen persona is the bit we are already used to anyway.

H-O-W-L

This is going to be complete and utter shit.

imitationleather

chveik

rue the polywhirl

Could go either way quality-wise. Despite they heavy subject matter it hopefully won't be as chastening as S2 of This Time With Alan Partridge.

JamesTC

I think this will bring some much needed balance to the debate about Sir Jimmy.

chveik

and they already have the soundtrack!

Video Game Fan 2000

Midas

well i can't wait to have this swill hislopped onto my screen.

"hidden in plain sight!"

that's entertainment!

non capisco

Dunno why it's called 'The Reckoning' when he got away with it and no-one in any of the institutions he worked for who knew about him being a paedophile rapist ever lost their jobs or a penny of their livelihood.

Will Felicity Montagu be playing Savile's ex P.A from the second Louis Theroux documentary that still loves him  and had that weird Lego Savile face in her garage that looked like a jaundiced witch?

Video Game Fan 2000

The bit where she asks "why don't you stop it?" to the Jimmy shrine is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen.

Midas

boomers up and down the cunt-ry will be turning to each other and gibbering "he was a powerful man, you see". if that doesn't change the world, NOTHING will.

imitationleather

Nowhere Man

So this is the result of the BBC being asked to make 'more distinctly British TV' is it, eh?

purlieu

I mean, it's potentially quite brave to do a drama which basically says "we covered up a paedophile's actions for decades," only it won't be that, it'll focus on Savile and his actions. But y'know, good to have a show focus on unpleasantness and not deal with recriminations about those who propped the criminal up.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Midas on September 27, 2021, 01:09:00 AM
"he was a powerful man, you see"

This shit pisses me off when people say it. He wasn't powerful. He was entertainer associated with the lowest and most populist end of tv and was a living joke by the 1980s. He never held an influential position beyond TV personality. I don't think he had any ownership over the programmes he presented. Its not like if the BBC ever got rid of him he could take Top of the Pops to ITV.

He wasn't Cesare Borgia. He was a rich grifter obsessed with clout. He had money and bought people off. There's no mystery or story there. The cheque book came out and people looked the the other way. Mystifying it like he had the ear of the powers that be beyond his charity donations or had some sort of spooky influence over people is pretty gross, and too light on people let it happen.

Midas

yup. but naturally this drama will forgo saying anything meaningful about the wider world by focussing on the individual and emphasising the "narrative" as being about concealment rather than enablement. a thoroughly pointless exercise.

Video Game Fan 2000

He met Prince Charles three times at charity dinners so the BBC was caught in a complex illuminati snare of geopolitical proportions, forcing them to let him do abuse.

Chollis

it's time we heard Sir Jimmy's side

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 27, 2021, 01:27:51 AM
This shit pisses me off when people say it. He wasn't powerful. He was entertainer associated with the lowest and most populist end of tv and was a living joke by the 1980s. He never held an influential position beyond TV personality. I don't think he had any ownership over the programmes he presented. Its not like if the BBC ever got rid of him he could take Top of the Pops to ITV.

He wasn't Cesare Borgia. He was a rich grifter obsessed with clout. He had money and bought people off. There's no mystery or story there. The cheque book came out and people looked the the other way. Mystifying it like he had the ear of the powers that be beyond his charity donations or had some sort of spooky influence over people is pretty gross, and too light on people let it happen.

Powerful because he knew what they'd all being getting up to in their secret little clubs. Plus he was well connected to the criminal world.

shiftwork2

To be honest I think his reputation has gone downhill since he died.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 27, 2021, 05:34:56 AM
Powerful because he knew what they'd all being getting up to in their secret little clubs. Plus he was well connected to the criminal world.

That's true of dozens of people in the public eye over the decades. When Savile's stuff came to light people said stuff like "only he could have gotten away with it" like he was in a uniquely powerful position, ear of the establishment and all that. It doesn't really make sense to me, especially if you consider he was being shadowbanned from charities left and right and now we know Thatcher was getting shit for raising his profile. If he was really the puppetmaster he was supposed to be, you think whoever banned him from Children In Need would be sleeping with fishes. Seems like it was just money and paying people off.

Any other paedo, we'd toss them out on their arse...But the jingle jangle clunk click guy...we were terrified to say anything, else we get a call from the Vatican... some mafia goons'd turn up