Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:01:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Non-English Movies About Vietnam?

Started by MortSahlFan, September 26, 2021, 07:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

I can't think of any....

I'd imagine the French might have made one, but I'd love to see a good one not in English just to see their take.

Deliciousbass

mate there are like a hundred american ones what are you on??

jamiefairlie

Death to the imperialistic yankee running dogs, that's a good un.

Herbert Ashe

(Assume you mean the Vietnam war, as opposed to Vietnam in general, in which case:)

couple more HK ones to go with those above: Boat People and The Story of Woo Viet (both Ann Hui) and also, slightly improbably, A Better Tomorrow 3 (Tsui Hark).

I don't recall seeing any Vietnamese or other SE Asian films about it; her stuff may not be up your street and I haven't seen all her stuff but maybe some of Trinh T. Minh-ha's films broach the subject.

bgmnts

You'd have to assume there is a French film or two, considering their history in the region.

DoesNotFollow

There's the French film Dien Bien Phu from 1992, written and directed by a French veteran of that same battle, with co-operation from French and Vietnamese military. From the bits I've watched on Youtube it looks like a decent docudrama-type thing.

There's also The 317th Platoon, an earlier black-and-white film by the same director.

First They Killed My Father, directed by Angelina Jolie, is a film about the civil war in neighbouring Cambodia, and later in the film the war against Vietnam.

Pinball

Quote from: bgmnts on September 26, 2021, 09:33:24 PM
You'd have to assume there is a French film or two, considering their history in the region.
Of course. The French were there before the US. Nam prequels abound. One good 'un is Indochine (1992):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104507

DoesNotFollow

A quick search came up with these Vietnamese films:

When the Tenth Month Comes
The Little Girl of Hanoi
Journey From the Fall
The Abandoned Field: Free Fire Zone

Pinball

Quote from: DoesNotFollow on September 26, 2021, 10:00:21 PM
There's the French film Dien Bien Phu from 1992, written and directed by a French veteran of that same battle, with co-operation from French and Vietnamese military. From the bits I've watched on Youtube it looks like a decent docudrama-type thing.

There's also The 317th Platoon, an earlier black-and-white film by the same director.

First They Killed My Father, directed by Angelina Jolie, is a film about the civil war in neighbouring Cambodia, and later in the film the war against Vietnam.
To summarise every plot:

"There's an uprising in Vietnam against French colonial power"!

Herbert Ashe

Oh yeah, I forgot a French* one, Far From Vietnam (1967) - Godard/Marker/Varda/Resnais/Lelouch/Ivens/Klein.

Probably straying too far form the remit here, but Youth (Feng Xiaogang, 2017) involves in part *a* Vietnam War (the Sino-Vietnamese one)

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Deliciousbass on September 26, 2021, 07:08:09 PM
mate there are like a hundred american ones what are you on??

I guess you misread, but America is an English country.

I came across a documentary on Mubi directed by Joris Ivens and Marceline Loridan-Ivens which has been uploaded to Youtube with English subtitles: Le 17e parallèle: La guerre du peuple

QuoteIn 1968, between South Vietnam under the control of the US Army and North Vietnam struggling for independence, a demilitarized zone was created around the 17th parallel. Joris Ivens and his wife, Marceline Loridan, went to this area around the village of Vinh Linh for two months to live among the peasants who had taken refuge in cellars in an attempt to survive the incessant bombing of the American artillery.

There's also a Vietnamese film with the 17th parallel in the title. It's mentioned in this article among others that have and I think some others that haven't been mentioned here:

QuoteThe era of revolutionary cinema in Vietnam – also called the 'Subsidy Period' cinema – in wartime and post-war years, from its first-ever movie Chung mot dong song (Together on the Same River) in 1959 to the late 1990s, has undeniably produced classics on the war and the stories of Vietnamese people, despite the heavy influence of state propaganda.

Hai Ninh's Vi tuyen 17 ngay va dem (17th Parallel, Nights and Days), Hong Sen's Canh dong hoang (The Abandoned Field), Dang Nhat Minh's Bao gio cho den thang Muoi (When the Tenth Month Comes), Tran Van Thuy's Tieng vi cam o My Lai (The Sound of the Violin in My Lai) or Nguyen Thanh Van's Doi cat (Sandy Lives) and Bui Thac Chuyen's Song trong so hai (Living in Fear) are all considered prime examples of films depicting the American war in Vietnam and the fate of Vietnamese people during and after the war.
https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/features/20200705/vietnam-in-western-cinema-vietnamese-must-tell-their-own-stories/55419.html