Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:43:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Squid Game

Started by Ja'moke, September 26, 2021, 10:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Anyone been watching this on Netflix?

Korean drama series about a bunch of people put into a life or death game for a monetary prize. I'm three episodes in and it's really good. An engrossing plot with great characters and a nice mix of violence and humour.

TrenterPercenter

Not started it yet but on my list!

Poobum

Agree it's good. On episode 5, things keep ramping up nicely. Good balance of characters and human drama, so everything has weight.
Spoiler alert
Thought the tug of war was excellently done, and proper harrowing
[close]

I enjoyed this, it was pretty fun. Not as good as The School Nurse Files though.

Consignia

Already a thread going here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,89543.0.html

I'm liking it so far. Only 3 episodes in, I'll be finishing it over the next few weeks.

Quote from: canted_angle_again on September 26, 2021, 11:12:43 PM
Not as good as The School Nurse Files though.

Got that on my to-watch list, how good is it?

It's so bizarre and genre bending (as you would expect from Korean shows). It's kinda a cross section of Buffy and Twin Peaks, but in an entirely Korean way. One episode will have your weirded out and well episode 5 had me in tears. That and The Uncanny Counter are what got me into Korean media. I love their shameless expression of emotion. A lot of the stuff is so refreshing because it's the antithesis of the cynicality that permeates western TV shows. The Boys being a prime example of this vicious almost self loathing that I wasn't aware of in western stuff until I noticed it's complete absence in Korean stuff.

Poobum

The VIP episode was fascinatingly bad.
Spoiler alert
Obviously a side effect of it being made for a Korean market, where how bad the English dialogue is and the really awkward delivery probably wasn't noticeable. But it was so bad, like they did one take and moved on bad. Also, it didn't add anything, except removing the mystery and adding the generic. Ending I'm still processing, but on the whole, short changing and bad.
[close]

Gregory Torso

I just watched this and uuurgh so much padding with shite... I really wish it had just focussed on the contestants and their relationships, because that was all great and the games were really tense and well-set up but fucking hellllllll everything else was totally unnecessary. This could easily have been 6 episodes instead of 9. The aforementioned
Spoiler alert
VIPS were so shit, like they'd been badly dubbed, with terrible dialogue that just cut into all of the tension of the glass stepping stone game
[close]
. And the last episode has a
Spoiler alert
ludicrous, pointless twist to it that not only completely undoes one of the hardest hitting emotional scenes in an earlier episode, but it doesn't make any fucking sense, and it goes on for ages, god it made me annoyed
[close]
. If you watch this, and I would recommend it for the performances of the contestants and how they bond with each other or fuck each other over, stop the last episode after about 20 minutes, because the last half an hour is bollocks. It just doesn't know when to end.

Poobum

Yeah the ending
Spoiler alert
is similar to my problem with Battle Royale films and the good Escape Room film, in that the arse falls out as soon as you leave the concept and head back to the real world, the momentum fizzles to nothing. Should have been written to end at the squid game. So many satisfying ways that would work.
[close]

Quote from: Poobum on September 27, 2021, 11:22:43 AM
The VIP episode was fascinatingly bad.
Spoiler alert
Obviously a side effect of it being made for a Korean market, where how bad the English dialogue is and the really awkward delivery probably wasn't noticeable. But it was so bad, like they did one take and moved on bad. Also, it didn't add anything, except removing the mystery and adding the generic.
[close]

Reiterating what was on the other thread, it felt like
Spoiler alert
dialogue from a bad video game
[close]

BeardFaceMan

To call the pacing 'glacial' would be a huge understatement, far too much padding too, could've easily cut the runtime of this in half. The ending was total bollocks and those English actors were all acting for the first time after spending a lifetime in isolation and never hearing humans talk, yes? There was something good in there somewhere though, it was amazingly acted (by the non-English actors) and it looked fantastic, it was shot beautifully. Some nice gore and effects, too. Just a shame the good stuff was buried under so much nothingness.

TrenterPercenter

Ok watched 3 episode I like it but this "best series EVER on Netflix" is bollocks it's massively flawed in lots of ways but the sets and costumes are class!

Ja'moke

I loved the first six episodes, but yeah the VIPs in Episode 7 are really bad to the point where it takes you out of the show.

bgmnts

Loving the first episode so, got some big laughs out of me, but i'm gutted to read it's glacially paced, I hate that.

BeardFaceMan

The VIPs remind me of the English speaking people in the Hong Kong action flicks I watched in the 80s, theyre that level of bad, I'm actually amazed that they managed to get through the casting process for a professional Netflix production in 2021, they were awful.

QDRPHNC

My kid wants to watch this. Suitable for a 13 year old?

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 03, 2021, 08:35:01 PM
My kid wants to watch this. Suitable for a 13 year old?

Depends, it's got a massive body count much like a Rambo film, I'd let my 13 year old watch it but YMMV.

QDRPHNC

He'll probably be fine then, he has a pretty high tolerance for this stuff. Thanks!

bgmnts

Episode 6 has just had me on the verge of tears, setting up Sang-woo as a proper cunt villain.

So i'm excited to get whiplash from the allegedly dreadful VIP stuff whatever that is.

bgmnts

Hoooooooooooooly
Shiiiiiiiiiiiit

Fucking howling.

Butchers Blind

I enjoyed this for the most part. Like everyone else, the arrival of the VIP's really took me out of it as up to that point it was all handled very well. The ending too could've been tackled better without that twist. Didn't make any sense really and took the emotional wallop out of the marbles episode.

bgmnts

Absolute stinker of an ending that has made me retroactively hate the show.

Poobum

Is amazing that they decided to
Spoiler alert
undo all of Gi-hun's character development by having him mope around and leave that kid in care for an extra year, before then deciding to abandon his family again. Also that they decided to destroy the emotional impact of Il-Nam dying by bringing him back to be the bad guy with an entire motivation of "got a bit bored dint I". Also that the thing with the cop and his brother basically being, "hey, host mask guy is the cops brother, weird that innit? Let's not do anything with that at all even though it seems perfectly set up".
[close]

Cuellar

There did seem to be a lot left unsaid, which is weird because it also seemed to drag on and on. Presumably with an eye on a second series,
Spoiler alert
it was nice of Gi-hun to give voice to the audience's unanswered questions right at the end, 'who are you people and why do you do what you do???' Yeah it would be interesting to know that, cheers. I guess we'll find out when Gi-hun goes BACK TO SQUID in ALL NEW SQUID GAME, Series 2!!!!
[close]

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Cuellar on October 04, 2021, 01:08:05 PM
There did seem to be a lot left unsaid, which is weird because it also seemed to drag on and on. Presumably with an eye on a second series,
Spoiler alert
it was nice of Gi-hun to give voice to the audience's unanswered questions right at the end, 'who are you people and why do you do what you do???' Yeah it would be interesting to know that, cheers. I guess we'll find out when Gi-hun goes BACK TO SQUID in ALL NEW SQUID GAME, Series 2!!!!
[close]

Think I might have been happier if it was left unanswered. Just the tacit understanding that it's rich people fucking over the downtrodden for their own amusement.

Ja'moke

brat-sampson

I read the black mask /
Spoiler alert
brother
[close]
reveal works better in Korea because that actor's an absolute megastar, and nobody expected him to be in it.

Chairman Yang

It really could have been two episodes long, just this miserable sarcastic drama with a violent dream sequence in the middle.

It goes up then down the way up then all the way into the fucking ground with stupid dyed hair to boot. Baffling

Butchers Blind

I've noticed there's been a bit of upset at how this has been translated into the English subtitles. The main concern being that it distorts the actual meaning of what the characters are saying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58787264