Author Topic: Just a minute  (Read 3661 times)

Re: Just a minute
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2021, 09:39:05 PM »
What filth is on Just a Minute these days. The vilest innuendo about bodily functions; it would have been inconceivable thrirty years ago. Disgusting.

Oh, I don't know. Kenneth Williams would probably be going on about the Criminal Practices that takes most of his and his friend Julian's time.

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2021, 10:20:34 PM »
Tommy Handley and Robb Wilton were both on the radio in the 1920s and 1930s. Al Read was 1950s. I agree that Read's material doesn't sound so much of its period now - something to do with being about the way real people talk to each other that isn't so influenced by pre-war music hall patter, as you said.

Connected to Handley, Deryck Guyler on ITMA is regarded as the first time someone spoke with a Liverpudlian accent was heard on the BBC.

re: Read - absolutely; he was a very skilful observer of people. Also, he developed his craft working as a salesman and after-dinner speaker, situations you can imagine that type of humour works brilliant, rather than the traditional sort of patter as you say.

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2021, 10:23:28 PM »
There's a late, great guy called Al Read who shouldn't be missed when he's repeated on 4extra.  He was pioneering in developing characters rather than trotting out music hall 'I say, I say, I say' type gags.  He's masterful at the loudmouth know-it-all, the world weary husband and the wife who always knows best. If I remember correctly, he was the first Northerner on the radio.

He was also an influence on Bob Newhart.

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2021, 10:43:13 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised by Take It From Here, a wildly popular comedy programme from the fifties. Especially The Glums, which was a serial within the programme, I found highly amusing. June Whitfield was in that, alongside Dick Bentley. Alma Cogan just did some singing in an American accent, which was rather boring.

On the other hand, Ray's a Laugh, to my mind, is very bland; its erstwhile popularity is difficult to fathom now.

Take It From Here started a little earlier - 1948, I think. Coogan and Whitfield joined in the 1950s, replacing Joy Nichols - the latter sang and did comedy on the show, but when she left, they found it difficult to get someone who could do both, hence the double-casting (although Coogan did act a little in the show. I've seen it suggested that The Glums is was a prototype sitcom, but Life With the Lyons was a bona fide sitcom starting in 1950.

With Ray's a Laugh, a lot of the material is very dated now, but some bits, particularly with Peter Sellers, stand up - and a lot is to do with Ray's timing and ad-libbing (both of which he was particularly noted foe). The show was off the back of Ray's live success and also, bolstered by other radio work so feel it's a little challenging to looking at Ray's appeal on the basis of one series - that said, it's a show that I found benefits from listening to quite a few, rather than dipping into. Although it hasn't aged well (the domestic scenes are tiresome), can see why it was so popular and it makes far better use of Ray than The Betty Witherspoon Show, which he did with Kenneth Williams.

Johnny Foreigner

• Aspiring to be a true Restoration Man
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2021, 09:43:47 PM »
Challenge, Anneka?

Sheer genius.

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2021, 09:46:29 PM »
ha. i heard the intro and was surprised she was on it. but turned it off without clocking that.

god how old do you need to be to get that though? it's like making a reference to 1975 TV in 2000.

Tags: