Author Topic: Best Endings  (Read 2378 times)

Brundle-Fly

• "Why don't you do something to help me?"
Re: Best Endings
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2021, 08:08:12 PM »
Agreed. Sobbed when I first saw that.

Here’s a beautiful version of the tune[1]:

https://youtu.be/RdyQ66JQWyM
 1. fans of hat fucking will note the love theme is not by Ennio Morricone, but his son.

You bastard. My partner now thinks I'm having a breakdown.

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2021, 05:38:09 AM »
The Fog

chveik

• crazy bit of business
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2021, 06:04:14 AM »
benny's video

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2021, 08:24:58 AM »
"Good shot! OK, he's dead; let's go get 'im. That's another one for the fire."

I remember shouting "NO!" out loud when I first saw this. I think it might've been the first film I'd seen that had an "unhappy" ending. Then I saw "Wicker Man" and then all bets were off.

beanheadmcginty

• I'm gonna ring-rang-a-dong for a holiday
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2021, 05:18:49 PM »
Superman breaking the fourth wall, smiling and flying off to the sound of John Williams.

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2021, 05:34:42 PM »
Great call on Cinema Paradiso. I started crying reading the post.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • LastFM
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2021, 05:56:19 PM »
The Graduate had a good one

He does this big dramatic romantic gesture, she says yes, they drive off together. Their elated smiles slowly start to fade

It's bleak and brave. And a bit of a masterstroke

« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2021, 03:09:02 PM »
The Graduate had a good one

He does this big dramatic romantic gesture, she says yes, they drive off together. Their elated smiles slowly start to fade

It's bleak and brave. And a bit of a masterstroke

Weird how Hoffman starred in two big films of the late sixties (The Graduate and Midnight Cowboy) both of which end with him on a bus.

« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2021, 04:22:03 PM »
Great call on Cinema Paradiso. I started crying reading the post.

Ah yeah, I remember now, I just had a look at the spoiler. I couldn't remember what happened at the end.
Yeah, great little film that. It was a weird one for me because I had to stay with these strangers and I didn't like it, everything was different and I was all alone, sat in the spare room watching that late night on channel 4 on a tiny telly. Sucked me in, but I think I would have liked it better on my home turf.

« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2021, 08:32:13 PM »
Night Moves, the Gene Hackman private eye movie. Such a perfect ending for what came before.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'd go so far as to say that all of the great neo-noirs of the seventies into the early eighties (well, '81, anyway) - Chinatown, The Long Goodbye, Cutter's Way, Blow Out - all come with brilliant, gut-punching denouements.

« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2021, 10:17:36 PM »
Weird how Hoffman starred in two big films of the late sixties (The Graduate and Midnight Cowboy) both of which end with him on a bus.

bus wanker

« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2021, 10:34:01 PM »
Cracking thread.

It’s not a good film (although it is one I enjoy) but the ending to Escape From L.A. is genuinely ace. Everything from the point that Snake crashlands the helicopter is gold.

Tags: