Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:42:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs that were the lead single, opening track AND best song on the album

Started by DJ Bob Hoskins, September 27, 2021, 10:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 27, 2021, 10:18:20 PM
Not an example from the band's best work by any means, but:

New Order - 'Regret' from 'Republic'

I love the song, but the parent album is patchy at best, probably due to being the work a band in the process of falling apart.
Quote from: imitationleather on September 27, 2021, 11:55:47 PM
The four singles released from that album were the first four tracks, which I thought was a bit weird and a definite sign that the band themselves didn't have much faith in the quality of the record.
To borrow a phrase from HMHB, the track sequencing on Republic always had an air of 'Running Order Squabble Fest' about it. Given the situation in New Order at that time, I don't think most of them cared what songs would be singles (other than maybe Hook, who wanted the songs his bass appeared on, given his attitude towards Stephen Hague's production methods) and just wanted it over with as soon as possible.

Republic is a patchy record (Hague had too much input, co-writing the album, but again that was dictated by the circumstances within the band during it's recording), but I actually prefer the tracks on the latter half of the album. Spooky in particular I always thought sounded very messy and a strange choice as a single - there are at least four other tracks on the latter half of Republic (Young Offender, Chemical, Times Change, Special) that were better songs and would have made better singles (London might have had issues about Chemical though, as Sumner's lyrics on that seem to be already questioning their decision to sign with a major label). I still regard it as a better album than Waiting For The Sirens Call/Lost Sirens though, which really was the low point in New Order's career.

buttgammon

Little Fluffy Clouds from The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld (I'm actually not sure if it was the lead single thinking about it but it's the most well-known track off the album so fuckitpost).

sevendaughters

Freak Scene isn't the best off Bug imo (Let It Ride is).

only one I can come up with at this hour is 'Race for the Prize' by Flaming Lips off The Soft Bulletin.

Quote from: buttgammon on September 28, 2021, 08:51:43 AM
Little Fluffy Clouds from The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld (I'm actually not sure if it was the lead single thinking about it but it's the most well-known track off the album so fuckitpost).

A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules from the Centre of the Ultraworld was the lead single.

Video Game Fan 2000

Does "Radio Free Europe" really count? It was a re-recording of a two year old single.

I love it, mind. You can't beat the original but its so good they re-did their old hit as an arty track with distant production and harmony vocals drowning out the hook. It sounds like a student party in the next room.

buzby

Quote from: Better Midlands on September 28, 2021, 09:08:55 AM
A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules from the Centre of the Ultraworld was the lead single.
Though again like WTIL? that track existed as a standalone single, released 18 months before the album was released. Even the 1990 remix that briefly entered the Top 100 was from 10 months before the album was released. It probably was going to be part of the album that was scrapped after Cauty fell out with  Paterson and Glover in 1990 over who was going to release it (which eventually became Space).

holyzombiejesus

Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken - Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of This Country, and possibly French Navy from My Maudlin Career

jobotic

Johnny Boy - You Are The Generation that Bought More Shoes and You Get What You Deserve"

First song on their only album. Apparently "Johnny Boy Theme" was the first single but come on, who's heard of that?

purlieu

Quote from: RickOtter on September 28, 2021, 11:30:08 AM
Pearl's Girl by Underworld off Second Toughest In The Infants
Only that's track five on the album.

Suede - Trash - Coming Up is the only one I can think of other than Modern Life is Rubbish.

buzby

New Order - Crystal. Lead single and opening track on Get Ready (released 2 weeks before the album)

tom_exorcisto

If Dinosaur Jr's Freak Scene isn't allowed how about The Wagon?

Although it was rerecorded for the Green Mind album and Thumb is my personal fav song off there anyway.

RickOtter

Suede - Trash - Coming Up is the only one I can think of other than Modern Life is Rubbish.
[/quote]

Trash is a great shout

Chicory

Mr Farenheit

Right now I've got to tell you about the fabulous, most groovy Bellbottoms[nb]Jon Spencer Blues Explosion- Orange[/nb]

Norton Canes

Quote from: Chicory on September 28, 2021, 12:59:29 PM
Barrel Of A Gun and also Dream On by Depeche Mode

Yeah I ran through the DM possibilities

Barrel Of A Gun, which I've always thought of as a bit of an I Feel You re-tread, is edged out as best song by both Home and Useless. There's not much on Exciter to get heh excited about but I do love Comatose, the only track on there that's up with their best work.

The only other eligible albums are Songs of Faith and Devotion but I Feel You is aced by two or three other tracks; and Speak and Spell, which is actually the best shout, as New Life is easily at least the equal of any of the other songs.

Norton Canes

Oh, Erasure's Wonderland - my favourite song can vary but Who Needs Love Like That is a belter

jobotic

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on September 28, 2021, 01:55:38 PM
Right now I've got to tell you about the fabulous, most groovy Bellbottoms[nb]Jon Spencer Blues Explosion- Orange[/nb]

Also Afro from Extra Width

Although i'm not convinced either are the best songs on each album.

Crabwalk

I'm definitely seconding 'Bellbottoms'.

How about 'Making Plans for Nigel' by XTC from Drums & Wires?

Crabwalk

Crabwalk

Ohh, this is tricky one.

'Let's Stay Together' by Al Green from Let's Stay Together. The album does contain 'How Can You Mend a Broken Heart' though...

DrGreggles

DrGreggles

DJ Bob Hoskins

A resounding YES to all three, Dr G.

As for Trash on Coming Up, Beautiful Ones just pips it as the best song on that album, surely?

Egyptian Feast

'Yes' by McAlmont and Butler off The Sound of McAlmont and Butler. Pisses over the rest of the album (if you can call a compilation of 2 singles and their B-sides an album)  from a great height.