Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:15:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs that were the lead single, opening track AND best song on the album

Started by DJ Bob Hoskins, September 27, 2021, 10:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: tom_exorcisto on September 28, 2021, 12:03:51 PM
If Dinosaur Jr's Freak Scene isn't allowed how about The Wagon?

Although it was rerecorded for the Green Mind album and Thumb is my personal fav song off there anyway.

It is allowed because it's the best song on Bug. By a country mile.

tom_exorcisto

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 28, 2021, 03:35:56 PM
It is allowed because it's the best song on Bug. By a country mile.

There seems to be some disagreement on that. For example, No Bones is better than Freak Scene.

purlieu

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on September 28, 2021, 03:19:05 PM
A resounding YES to all three, Dr G.

As for Trash on Coming Up, Beautiful Ones just pips it as the best song on that album, surely?

Trash is my favourite Suede song and quite possibly my favourite song associated with britpop, so I'm sticking with it.

Crabwalk

'Regulate' by Warren G from Regulate...G-Funk Era. It's close though as it's packed with absolute bangers.

Crabwalk

More title tracks that are also openers, first singles and best moments:

'What's Going On?' by Marvin Gaye
&
'My Cherie Amour' by Stevie Wonder.

Bet there are loads more Motown albums where this is the case.

Glebe

'Debaser' should really have been the lead single off Doolittle. It was later released as a single to promote best of Death to the Pixies.

Crabwalk

'I Saw the Light' by Todd Rundgren from Something/Anything

I'm not bored yet, don't know about you.

Video Game Fan 2000

All geared up to post Respect in this thread but had my mind blown by discovering it wasn't a first single for either Otis or Aretha.

Video Game Fan 2000

Video Game Fan 2000

Don't is better than Freak Scene

I don't get the fuss over Freak Scene, its a mash up of two Wire songs. It's alright but I can't imagine putting on the scuzziest dinosaur record to hear the college rock number. Pond Song is prettier.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 28, 2021, 02:43:49 PM
How about 'Making Plans for Nigel' by XTC from Drums & Wires?

Reaching a bit with this one Crabby! Banger though it is, the album is so consistently fantastic that I'd say it sits on par with at least 70% of the other tracks. That's the trouble with XTC around that era, they were just too good.

Video Game Fan 2000

Sparks - Girl from Germany, When I'm With You, Tips For Teens and Cool Places but NOT This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Us

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on September 28, 2021, 05:40:10 PM
2112 from 2112 by Rush.
The Twilight Zone was the first and only single off 2112. Of course you couldnt fit 2112 on a 7 inch 45

Pauline Walnuts

Whatever You Want by The Status Quoes of their album Whatever You Want.

non capisco

Controversial nomination that I think is going to get shouted down on a technicality - 'Burn It Down' is the first and my favourite song on 'Searching For The Young Soul Rebels' by Dexys Midnight Runners and was sort of the first single given a version of it with a different title ('Dance Stance') came out as a single before 'Geno'.

Giss it, go on.

tom_exorcisto

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on September 28, 2021, 07:13:01 PM
Whatever You Want by The Status Quoes of their album Whatever You Want.

Killing Joke - Adorations
(just prompted by your avatar but your pick is spot on, don't recognise ANY of the other songs off that Status Quoes album)

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: tom_exorcisto on September 28, 2021, 07:37:15 PM
Killing Joke - Adorations
(just prompted by your avatar but your pick is spot on, don't recognise ANY of the other songs off that Status Quoes album)

I was wrong, Living on an Island was better.

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 28, 2021, 05:57:15 PM
Reaching a bit with this one Crabby! Banger though it is, the album is so consistently fantastic that I'd say it sits on par with at least 70% of the other tracks. That's the trouble with XTC around that era, they were just too good.

Agree with this.

I'll go for About The Weather from Magazine's Magic, Murder And The Weather. It's the only track I like from that disappointing last album.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 28, 2021, 04:59:46 PM
'I Saw the Light' by Todd Rundgren from Something/Anything

I'm not bored yet, don't know about you.

Hmm... at least 5 other songs equal if not better than that one - It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference, Cold Morning Light, Sweeter Memories, Couldn't I Just Tell You, Hello It's Me.

Magnum Valentino

Born For One Thing off Gojira's latest. Technicality - track 3 was released as a single a year before, but before the album was named or being promoted, so doesn't count as lead single.

The Wolf Is Loose from Mastodon's Blood Mountain is another (I think).

Probably no beating Don't Stop Til You Get Enough though.