Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:51:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nutjob American Independent Filmaker making a series about The Celts

Started by Wonderful Butternut, September 28, 2021, 04:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

ancient irish druid standing over a cauldron in the middle of ancient standing stones, lightning slashes the sky behind him as he utters the ancient celtic invocation handed down from the ages "ABRACADABRA"

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on September 28, 2021, 06:52:22 PM
"She's turned the Danes against us."

The Danes............................................................................. yeah that's a good few years out, mate. Like several hundred.

I don't think he has any grasp of dates and eras in history beyond "It was a long time ago." The Romans riding multi-ethnic dinosaurs with lasers attached to their heads wouldn't surprise me.

Midas

QuoteThe innate story structure is that of the Celtic tartan cross-hatch. Each Season will be called a "Tartan". Each Season will have 8-9 episodes called "Kilts" which are woven together into the story knot at the season finale.

Mr Trumpet

Ah yes the kilt, first evidence for which dates from the 1500s (AD)

Midas

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 28, 2021, 04:38:26 PM
Like a lot of Americans, said individual claims Irish ancestry which is why he's making this series. But:

1) He can't even pronounce "Sligo", from where his ancestors apparently originated, correctly.

2) He continuously refers to The Celts as "The Celtics" which is wrong. Although at least he's got the hard C correct.

3) He hasn't learned how to pronounce Gaelic names and words, something important if you're making a series about Celts.

4) Every character in the series appears to be a druid. We have "Powerful Druid Queen" Maeve and "Celtic Druid God of Battle" (or whatever) Fionn mac Cumhaill. Btw, Kingsbury forgot to give the actor playing mac Cumhaill a pronounciation key that can be Googled in 3 seconds, so he pronounces the name as if it's written phoenetically. This is wrong.

5) The acting for the few bits he has produced, which consist of characters ranting to camera about the "Globalist Totalarian Roman Empire" coming to conquer them, so far is just fantastic. Awful accents, scenery chewing and looking off camera to check the script cos they weren't paid enough to learn their lines. You can view it, along with a few of Kingsbury's mangled pronounciations here:
https://twitter.com/chizmund/status/1442595249281384449

6) I don't think I'll even bother pulling him up on things like the mythical Queen Maeve (btw, Michael you should be calling her "Medb" for authenticity) who he says lived in 3000BC calling a Council of the "High Kings and High Queens" of Ireland when the concept of the High Kingship of Ireland didn't exist until the 8th century AD.

7) The Druids didn't have toasters.

So is this set in 3000BC then? With the Roman Empire? Marvellous.

boki

Quote from: Midas on September 28, 2021, 06:55:43 PM
Can't get over my morbid fascination with this shite. Imagine paying $750 for THIS:

One of the worst things I've ever seen.
HA HA this-away
Haha that-away
Haha this away
Shit for cunts

mothman

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on September 28, 2021, 06:52:22 PM
"She's turned the Danes against us."

This joke was worth reading this thread for.

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 28, 2021, 07:12:47 PM
The Danes............................................................................. yeah that's a good few years out, mate. Like several hundred.

Seriously?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

1) RTÉ/TG4/Screen Ireland should be making a prestige television series about the Celts or the High Kings or the Fianna. People would watch it.

2) It's too bad about the heavy-handed right-wing nutjobbery because I honestly thought he was doing a bit. Like "haha historical dramas are so inaccurate, here's a parody of one."

3) If dumbass bothered to do the slightest modicum of research, he'd know there's already a Celtic myth about the great Celtic gods and heroes being oppressed by a race of ugly outsiders from under the sea. If you want to Say Something about freedom and oppression then make that. But then he can't even look up how to pronounce Sligo, so.

PlanktonSideburns

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Presumably the Celtics will smash the bastard oppressor English at some point, despite England not existing yet.
This needs a Mel Gibson cameo.

bgmnts

Also, didnt the Romans utterly cunt the Druids into non existence at Ynys Môn, which was allegedly the epicentre of druidism? Were there still druids in Ireland?

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 28, 2021, 09:59:46 PM
1) RTÉ/TG4/Screen Ireland should be making a prestige television series about the Celts or the High Kings or the Fianna. People would watch it.

They had a great opportunity to make a big deal of the 1000th anniversary of the Battle of Clontarf a few years ago and didn't do as much as they could have with it.

Quote from: bgmnts on September 28, 2021, 10:15:02 PM
Also, didnt the Romans utterly cunt the Druids into non existence at Ynys Môn, which was allegedly the epicentre of druidism? Were there still druids in Ireland?

They're believed to have survived until Ireland was Christianised. The Romans actually never invaded Ireland.

dissolute ocelot

Ireland is the lost continent of Atlantis!

I think the Irish are also one of the 10 lost tribes of Israel, along with the English, the Mormons, the Pashtuns, Beta Israel, Japanese, Maori, several African ethnic groups, and white Americans.

It's handy that there's no written Irish history till about the 4th century CE, makes it so much easier to make things up.

jobotic

Quote from: Cuellar on September 28, 2021, 09:54:58 PM
This doesn't look good for Starmer

Just what I thought.

I hope he sacrifices Akehurst then leads a hunt to capture a naked squealing Mike Gapes.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 28, 2021, 10:19:14 PM
Ireland is the lost continent of Atlantis!

I think the Irish are also one of the 10 lost tribes of Israel, along with the English, the Mormons, the Pashtuns, Beta Israel, Japanese, Maori, several African ethnic groups, and white Americans.

It's handy that there's no written Irish history till about the 4th century CE, makes it so much easier to make things up.

Anyone concocting an 'origin' story for their own people in the medieval period usually appended themselves to either the tribes of Israel, or the Trojans. Sometimes both.

Quote from: bgmnts on September 28, 2021, 10:15:02 PM
So Ireland was never actually part of the Roman Empire, though Roman jewellery and coins have been found in the east and south which would indicate that there was a certain amount of trade. If there were any Roman settlements there's no record of them in placenames (compare to counties Waterford, Wexford, and Wicklow, the names of which all derive from Norse languages). Druids in Ireland gradually went into decline as Christianity became widespread; as far as I know there wasn't one particular incident that ended their power.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 28, 2021, 10:23:26 PM
Anyone concocting an 'origin' story for their own people in the medieval period usually appended themselves to either the tribes of Israel, or the Trojans. Sometimes both.
Forgot one: the Irish and Scots are also
Spoiler alert
not
[close]
descended from an Egyptian princess called Scota.

By the way there's absolutely no need to attempt an Irish accent in a series about the ancient Celts/Irish gods. We would all agree to overlook an American/British/Australian/Polish accent given that it's set in pre-Christian Ireland, but not a fucking terrible cod-Irish accent.

bgmnts

Ah fair enough then, I knew they were never conquered as such I just assumed they were maybe Romanised a tad by proxy via trade and what have you.

I wonder why the Irish druids didn't spread it back here, considering how insanely close Ireland is to Anglesey.

Anyway I want to see someone burn alive in a wicker man on this show.

Quote from: bgmnts on September 28, 2021, 10:32:25 PM
Ah fair enough then, I knew they were never conquered as such I just assumed they were maybe Romanised a tad by proxy via trade and what have you.

I wonder why the Irish druids didn't spread it back here, considering how insanely close Ireland is to Anglesey.
I would guess Christianity had already taken hold. St. Patrick is supposed to have come from Britain.

Mr Trumpet

The whole of the British Isles was more or less Christianised by the time of the Roman withdrawal. The only place Christianity didn't survive was England, which went pagan when the Anglo-Saxons invaded. England was (re)converted within about 250yrs, but from Rome/Europe rather than the Celtic kingdoms which practised their own variant of Christianity (different hairstyles for monks, different date for Easter etc).

Kankurette

Nobody tell him about Fate/Grand Order (which has Finn, Diarmuid, Cú Chulainn - who is the subject of a LOT of dog jokes - Scáthach and Medb in it).
Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 28, 2021, 06:51:21 PM
To be fair the English did the exact same thing in the 1700s and then again at the turn of the 20th century which is part of why the popular image of celtic mythological and literature is so bowdlerized and inaccurate.

A rich tradition of "we like the forgeries better"
What, like the Grimms did with folk tales?

Video Game Fan 2000

A lot of the values pop culture associates with celts and druid, honourable warriors and weird new-agey beliefs, the old ways against new powers, seems to come from colonisation.

Forgers like Williams and MacPherson still have an outsized influence on the popular conception of celtic and gaelic mythogy and "druidic" beliefs. Then the Irish revival happened and we were up to our arses in begorrah

chveik

heard about a bunch of old hippies calling themselves druids fucking about in broceliande. they should make about a series about those weirdos

bgmnts

Quote from: chveik on September 29, 2021, 01:12:41 AM
heard about a bunch of old hippies calling themselves druids fucking about in broceliande. they should make about a series about those weirdos

I mean, I suppose if you worship and venerate the natural world you could consider yourself a druid? Not in the sense that you are part of an elite ancient class though.