Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:53:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A new 'surprized by the appearance of' thread.

Started by Glebe, September 28, 2021, 05:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Watching 28 Weeks Later recently I was surprized to see the late Garfield Morgan of The Sweeney fame pop up in a small role, and am thus inspired to start a new "flipping heck, that's so-and-so from so-and-so!" thread.

Here's some previous topics to get the ol' juices flowing!:

Unlikely Film Cameos.

Strange movie appearances.

What's he doing there? (the unlikely cameo thread).

Unexpected comedian cameos in non-comedy roles

Comedy people in unexpected places.

bgmnts

I honestly dont remember any proper characters in 28 days later beyond Cillian Murphy, the woman, the girl, Brendan Gleeson and the soldiers.

Glebe

Quote from: bgmnts on September 28, 2021, 05:35:10 PMI honestly dont remember any proper characters in 28 days later beyond Cillian Murphy, the woman, the girl, Brendan Gleeson and the soldiers.

Sorry I've amended that to 28 Weeks Later, d'oh!

Dusty Substance

When I revisited Almost Famous a few years ago, I was a little surprised by the appearance of pre-podcast junkie-era Marc Maron, but I was very surprised by his character yelling "Lock the gates!" - Until then I'd always assumed that soundbite had been taken from one of his stand up shows.

ElTwopo

Woke up early today and ended up watching Warlords of Atlantis on Talking Pictures.

Cheers

EDIT - resized massive image of NORM
Spoiler alert
's friend Cliff
[close]

Floella Benjamin in I Don't Want to be Born, a low-budget horror from 1975 about a baby taken over by the spirit of a malicious dwarf.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on October 02, 2021, 11:27:40 PM
Floella Benjamin in I Don't Want to be Born, a low-budget horror from 1975 about a baby taken over by the spirit of a malicious dwarf.

Which one was she?

BJBMK2

Double taked when Lois "Miss Moneypenny" Maxwell, turns up near the end of The Haunting (1963)

Quote from: ElTwopo on October 02, 2021, 10:57:07 PM

I saw that prick in "motel hell" the other night. He gets about a bit! I don't think he said one word in the whole film so it must have been before he was famous - https://youtu.be/K2Lt0Ek64eM?t=81

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 02, 2021, 11:34:15 PM
Which one was she?

She played a nurse or receptionist in a hospital.   She only appears very briefly.

Dusty Substance

Pre-Reggie Perrin/Rigsby Leonard Rossiter appearing in 2001:ASO and Barry Lyndon.

An tSaoi

I had the opposite problem. I only knew him from Kubrick, so it was strange seeing him show up in Steptoe and Son. I've never seen Rising Damp or that Reggie Perrin thing.

The govt minister from A Clockwork Orange also shows up as in Steptoe a few times as a vicar. Mr Grady/Alex's dad is in Yes Minster, as one of the main candidates for PM.

And of course Tony Hayers from IAP is the scientist working on the chimps that caused the whole 28 Days situation in the first place.

beanheadmcginty

Richard Briers' next door neighbour Howard from Ever Decreasing Circles turning up in Flash Gordon as one of Orna Muti's lovers. To my mind the greatest example of punching above their weight in cinematic history.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 03, 2021, 02:33:46 PM
Richard Briers' next door neighbour Howard from Ever Decreasing Circles turning up in Flash Gordon as one of Orna Muti's lovers. To my mind the greatest example of punching above their weight in cinematic history.

Howard out of Howard and Hilda is also in Superman IV, sharing screen time with Gene Hackman.

Also worth mentioning on this thread that in the opening scene of No Time To Die
Spoiler alert
Hugh Dennis
[close]
makes a surprise appearance.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Charlie from Casualty in The Long Good Friday. He's the one who gets
Spoiler alert
glassed in the neck by Bob Hoskins
[close]
Pierce Brosnan pops up at the end too.

Replies From View

that posh one from goodnight sweetheart turns up in some of the later episodes of only fools and horses

beanheadmcginty

Forum favourite Bruce Forsyth turning up in an episode of Magnum PI

Glebe

Watched the film version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy recently on Netflix, Roger Lloyd Pack has a supporting role, but I guess that's not that strange. TTSS author John le Carré himself has a small cameo in the Christmas do scene actually.

Quote from: An tSaoi on October 03, 2021, 12:58:38 PMThe govt minister from A Clockwork Orange also shows up as in Steptoe a few times as a vicar. Mr Grady/Alex's dad is in Yes Minster, as one of the main candidates for PM.

Besides Steptoe, I think Anthony Sharp did a lot of TV work, have spotted him in Dick Emery sketches and The Young Ones 'Nozin' Around' bit!

Phillip Stone (Alex's dad/Grady) also appeared in Temple of Doom and while I imagine he did loads of other work I've not come across, he popped up on In Sickness and in Health as a priest a couple of times.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 03, 2021, 02:33:46 PMRichard Briers' next door neighbour Howard from Ever Decreasing Circles turning up in Flash Gordon as one of Orna Muti's lovers. To my mind the greatest example of punching above their weight in cinematic history.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 03, 2021, 02:54:45 PMout of Howard and Hilda is also in Superman IV, sharing screen time with Gene Hackman.

Was gonna say he (Stanley Lebor) also popped up as a doctor in cult horror Xtro, but I'm getting confused, I'm thinking of that other TV Howard, Robert Fyfe from Summer Wine - who also appears in the Wachowski's Cloud Atlas!

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 03, 2021, 02:59:42 PMCharlie from Casualty in The Long Good Friday. He's the one who gets
Spoiler alert
glassed in the neck by Bob Hoskins
[close]
Pierce Brosnan pops up at the end too.

Brosnan is also seen earlier on, seducing and murdering Paul Freeman's character in the showers... Paul 'Denzil from OFAH' Barber* also makes an appearance, as does Nick 'Jumbo Mills' Stringer! Brian Hall (Terry from Fawlty Towers) and Alan 'Bricktop' Ford are part of Harold's gang, and Gillian Taylforth, Karl Howman and a young Dexter Fletcher also pop up, as does Tony Rohr, who later appeared in the Father Ted Christmas special and played Derek's estranged dad in Gervais' Derek.

*Who, besides being Denzil Tusler would later appear in The Full Monty of course, and 51st State alongside Samuel L. Jackson.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 03, 2021, 03:21:27 PMForum favourite Bruce Forsyth turning up in an episode of Magnum PI

Not forgetting Bedknobs and Broomsticks!

beanheadmcginty

Obvious one but Alexei Sayle in Indiana Jones

DJ Bob Hoskins

This could just as easily be in the 'bands in films' thread but I've often wondered how this conversation might have unfolded in a Hollywood production office in the mid-1980s:

[Producer #1] I'm really buzzed about "The Running Man" project now that Schwarzenegger has signed on. And it's based on a Stephen King story! This is gonna be box office gold, I'm tellin' ya. Say, who do you think we should cast as the leader of the resistance?

[Producer #2] The drummer out of Fleetwood Mac?

[Producer #1] Perfect!

mothman

Mick F. went through an acting phase in the late 80s, also played an alien in Star Trek TNG, but under so much prosthetics as to be unrecognisable.

In all the various threads listed above, I'd imagine David Schneider's turn in the first Mission Impossible has been brought up a few times. So it might as well be listed in this one too!

Glebe

SteveDave

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 28, 2021, 08:41:17 PM
When I revisited Almost Famous a few years ago, I was a little surprised by the appearance of pre-podcast junkie-era Marc Maron, but I was very surprised by his character yelling "Lock the gates!" - Until then I'd always assumed that soundbite had been taken from one of his stand up shows.

I rewatched that a few years ago and I was surprised that the young Led Zeppelin fan is Jay Baruchel and one of the Rolling Stone magazine people is Rainn Wilson. And Mitch Hedburg but I was looking out for him.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I went to watch Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves when I was a kid and everyone in the cinema went "Ooh!" when Sean Connery did a cameo at the end.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 03, 2021, 02:33:46 PM

Think everything that I've seen Stanley Lebor in, he was very good - one performance that sticks in my mind is from The Naked Civil Servant (and as Roger Lloyd-Pack has been mentioned, need to namecheck him in that as well).

Can't remember the name, but there's a 1970s thriller that had Lebor and Peter Egan in (and Patrick Stewart).

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Glebe on October 03, 2021, 05:46:09 PM..Besides Steptoe, I think Anthony Sharp did a lot of TV work, have spotted him in Dick Emery sketches and The Young Ones...

You're not wrong - and the comedy shows he appeared in were pretty impressive.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on October 03, 2021, 11:53:45 PM
This could just as easily be in the 'bands in films' thread but I've often wondered how this conversation might have unfolded in a Hollywood production office in the mid-1980s:

[Producer #1] I'm really buzzed about "The Running Man" project now that Schwarzenegger has signed on. And it's based on a Stephen King story! This is gonna be box office gold, I'm tellin' ya. Say, who do you think we should cast as the leader of the resistance?

[Producer #2] The drummer out of Fleetwood Mac?

[Producer #1] Perfect!

And one whose similarity to The Prize of Peril is totally coincidental!

The Culture Bunker

Fleetwood Mac were pretty huge, though. I can imagine in those days of cocaine excess that some producer/studio suit thought it'd be a right wheeze getting one of their favourite band in the picture. Mick is the only one of the lads from the Mac I can imagine being game enough to do it, plus his lanky frame gives him some presence to make up for lack of acting ability. 

If it had been the drummer from, say, Husker Du, then it would have been a bit more eyebrow-raising.