Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:30:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you wear a hat?

Started by eagle_bearer, September 29, 2021, 09:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I wear a cap when it's really hot and I'm out on my bike. It has to be a flat topped cap though, not a curved one. Just knackered and plain, no logos or anything.

I used to wear a fishermans cap and I loved it and everyone said it really suited me and it felt basic enough not to look like an affectation (if that makes sense?). It was like this but perhaps a little stiffer.

Unfortunately, I lost it and the replacement I bought online was too thin and floppy so looked like some weird peaked beret so it went to the charity shop.

derek stitt

My capello of choice is the flat cap, covers up the nanti  riah real bona.

Tony Tony Tony

I have graduated to a flat cap, it keeps me in touch with my working class roots.

I did try a beret and found folks were whistling at me. I abandoned the look when I realized they were whistling the Some Mothers do Ave Em theme tune.   

Ferris

I have a collection of baseball caps and never leave home without wearing at least one, sometimes 3 or 4.

Also wooly hat for winter. Ok cheers.

Sebastian Cobb

Coming round to the idea caps are pointless, you really only need a winter hat and a handkerchief you knot the corners of if it gets very sunny.

Attila

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 29, 2021, 02:38:53 PM
I wear a cap when it's really hot and I'm out on my bike. It has to be a flat topped cap though, not a curved one. Just knackered and plain, no logos or anything.

I used to wear a fishermans cap and I loved it and everyone said it really suited me and it felt basic enough not to look like an affectation (if that makes sense?). It was like this but perhaps a little stiffer.

Unfortunately, I lost it and the replacement I bought online was too thin and floppy so looked like some weird peaked beret so it went to the charity shop.

My suede hat is a lot like that hat, in shape. I bought mine with my pocket money because I was crazy about  the Beatles at the time, and loved the hat John wore in Help!. It was the closest I could find with it when I was out and about with some of my girlfriends & messing about at the mall (this would have been around 1979). There was a terrible time about a decade ago when I was over here in the UK visiting Mr Attila, and we'd been out and about, and I didn't realise I'd dropped it out of my coat and onto the ground at a carpark -- I looked everywhere for it at his house, and he looked all around in his garden shed and allotment, thinking I may have put it down somewhere. Only a stroke of luck that when he was next back at those offices, he thought to ask at reception if someone had turned in a hat -- and fortunately someone had found it and turned it in.

You can find decent Greek fishermen's hats if you have a sift through Etsy and that -- people sell vintage/second hand ones that are in pretty good nick given their age.

mothman

I had literally two hats I looked good in, but they're both gone now.

A black woolly Ignite beanie I got to go skiing in 2007/8. Lost a couple of years ago, I think it was on the floor of the car and got kicked out whole opening the door when it was dark. I keep looking on eBay for an identical one.

A brown No Fear baseball cap I wore on every holiday. It was filthy, sweat-stained, the button on top had literally rusted off, the lining had long since shredded and been pulled out. Forgot to take it this year; when I got home it had mould on it...

timebug

I carry a cap in my pocket and use it when it is pissing down with rain. Otherwise my balding head takes what the weather throws at it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: timebug on September 30, 2021, 09:07:34 AM
I carry a cap in my pocket and use it when it is pissing down with rain. Otherwise my balding head takes what the weather throws at it.

Was considering trying to contrive a " Captain Beefheart considers rewrite" for this, but ultimately decided it wouldnae work, and certainly wouldn't be a " feather in my cap" as far as my usually brilliant contributions go.

paruses

I have a harris tweed baseball cap I wear almost everywhere. Weird how it feels like I have gone out with no trousers on if I forget it - I never wore a hat until a couple of years ago due to having a head like a fat Easter Island statue.

I really like the Afghan pakol hats and think they would suit me. Not sure if those dilberts in the Taliban have sent them the way of the toothbrush moustache though.

(I would post a pic but that always takes me a couple of hours to work out how to do)

Cerys

One day I will possess a proper bowler hat.  One day.

jobotic

SpiderChrist

Two or three beanies and a peaked cap. I have a cloth flat cap that was my dad's but it makes me look like even more of a pillock than I already do, so I don't wear it.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Cerys on September 30, 2021, 09:21:28 AM
One day I will possess a proper bowler hat.  One day.
I once tried one on from the dressing up box in one of York's many museums. Even though I say it myself, it was the perfect complement to my natty white boiler suit
and jockstrap
Dennis the Menace style striped jumper and cargo trouser ensemble. I've never had the bottle to actually acquire one to wear on a day-to-day basis, though.

robhug

id be interested going down the hat wearing route, its just finding the right hat. I've been strongly recommended a Tilly Hat that you can get from blacks which they then followed up by saying they cos a hundred quid so I shelved that.

having one would also allow me to pull something out if it when Im in a tricky situation, so that appeals too.

eagle_bearer

Wow. So many hat-wearers wearing so many hats. But let me ask you this - have you ever lost a hat, not by misplacing and forgetting it, but by having it snatched from your head or blown off in blustery conditions. Perhaps you were enjoying a cone of chips on one Blackpool's piers, and then WOOOOOOOSH - a gust of wind blows your hat from your head. You spin around and see your hat flailing down towards the choppy Irish Sea. Argh! Although Blackpool would be the best place to lose a hat, what with all those 'Kiss Me Quick' hats for sale! Or maybe you were sitting in a field on a sunny day, and SWIIIISH - a rapscallion whips your hat from your head and runs away. You give chase, but he's around a corner and out of sight before you know it. Bloody pilferers!

flotemysost

I wear a baseball cap or a trilby-type hat (if I'm required to be vaguely smart) in bright sunshine, along with gallons of factor 50, because these days I get little clusters of dark spots appearing on my forehead and temples that stay there FOREVER after even very brief sun exposure, and I'm vain as fuck basically. Classic short term pain (or at least looking like a bit of an idiot) for long term gain. Pretty glad it's the time of year now where the days of having to make sure I cart one of them fuckers around are numbered.

Should probably withdraw my membership from the How suave are you thread now, though.

thenoise

I'm looking for a rain hat next time I have some money spare. Hoods are not adequate protection for the glasses wearer, and I can't carry an umbrella now that I'm a parent, can barely carry all this shit as it is.

Brian Freeze

I've had a har blown off of my head by gusty winds. It was only a baseball cap but I'd spent ages choosing it as no others looked right. Think it was my first outing in it and it ended up on top of Edinburgh Waverley Station or whatever its called.

Even went to the trouble of going to find a station employee and offering to go and get it back myself with a predictable outcome. Wonder if its still there? Nearly thirty years ago that was.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: robhug on September 30, 2021, 12:51:57 PM
I've been strongly recommended a Tilly Hat that you can get from blacks

Plenty of white people sell them too, you big racist

Cuellar

Quote from: thenoise on October 01, 2021, 09:22:03 AM
I'm looking for a rain hat next time I have some money spare. Hoods are not adequate protection for the glasses wearer, and I can't carry an umbrella now that I'm a parent, can barely carry all this shit as it is.

Kankurette

I used to wear a trilby when I was a student and people tried to steal it. I also have a unicorn hat, a Madchester-ish fishing hat that I used to wear when I worked at festivals, and a flat cap that makes me look like a train driver. I wore it to a friend's hen party where we all had to wear silly hats.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'd love to wear hats but unfortunately they make me look like a simpleton. I think it's the shape of my head. I have a fairly round head and a hat never looks quite right on it. You need more of a square head to look decent.

Johnny Foreigner

Quote from: Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead on September 30, 2021, 12:13:58 PM
I once tried one on from the dressing up box in one of York's many museums. Even though I say it myself, it was the perfect complement to my natty white boiler suit
and jockstrap
Dennis the Menace style striped jumper and cargo trouser ensemble. I've never had the bottle to actually acquire one to wear on a day-to-day basis, though.
I owned a proper tailor-made bowler hat that cost me a pretty penny. People took me for a coach driver when I wore it in the street, but it did come in handy once for a play I was in. I lost that hat many years ago, in deepest Bavaria.

Attila

Quote from: eagle_bearer on September 30, 2021, 02:40:25 PM
Wow. So many hat-wearers wearing so many hats. But let me ask you this - have you ever lost a hat, not by misplacing and forgetting it, but by having it snatched from your head or blown off in blustery conditions. Perhaps you were enjoying a cone of chips on one Blackpool's piers, and then WOOOOOOOSH - a gust of wind blows your hat from your head. You spin around and see your hat flailing down towards the choppy Irish Sea. Argh! Although Blackpool would be the best place to lose a hat, what with all those 'Kiss Me Quick' hats for sale! Or maybe you were sitting in a field on a sunny day, and SWIIIISH - a rapscallion whips your hat from your head and runs away. You give chase, but he's around a corner and out of sight before you know it. Bloody pilferers!

Not me, but one of my hats and my dad wearing it. When I was a pre-teen my mom got me a denim newsboys cap that would have meant even more teasing had I worn it to school. My dad, however, immediately appropriated and wore it for years. Then we did a winter-weekend seaside trip. Freezing cold, very blustery. He decided neverthless to go paddling, trousers rolled up, jacket on, wearing said cap. Slipped in the wet sand, then got knocked further down by a wave -- that was the end of my cap. It may have floated across to England, though, so if you've seen it, give me a shout.

dr beat

Got a great cowboy hat when I was in Mexico and I ended up in prison there.  By choice. At least that time.

badaids

My job required me to wear a hat, not as protective head gear either.

Quote from: Attila on October 01, 2021, 04:33:37 PM
When I was a pre-teen my mom got me a denim newsboys cap that would have meant even more teasing had I worn it to school... It may have floated across to England, though, so if you've seen it, give me a shout.

Could it be?

Albert Soviets

I wear a pork pie hat. I know I'm not Thelonious Monk, just a short white twat in a hat, but fuck it. I wear what the fuck I like.
Is it your head? No. Fuck off then.

Albert Soviets

Sorry, got a bit defensive there but I have got shit over just wearing a hat. I'm not going to be lectured by people who wear jogging bottoms as a style statement.