Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:42:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bookmarks

Started by pigamus, September 29, 2021, 10:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

How do you handle bookmarks?

The obvious answer is just use Chrome. At least Chrome works over all your devices - log in, there's your bookmarks, sorted. But then I got an iPad mini and started using Safari, so I ended up with bookmarks in two different places.

So I got Raindrop. It was okay, but I was annoyed that when you click a link it just previews it rather than opens it - I didn't realise you can change the setting. Got the extension for Chrome, but I'm too lazy or sometimes just forget, so I've still got bookmarks in three different places, sometimes more if I decide I'll try Opera or something.

I think the best thing is maybe, there's a button that can wipe all your Raindrop bookmarks - maybe periodically just do that, export Chrome bookmarks, add them back in, and then they match? Except only desktop Chrome can export bookmarks I think, don't think you can on other devices (can you)?

And don't start me on "Favorites". That's not even how you spell it.

How do YOU bookmark?

Sebastian Cobb

Mostly in browser but used a bookmark-adjacent app called Toby for a while, which allows you to bookmark/save a collection of tabs.

This was useful, especially in work if switching between tasks as I could immediately switch to a browser window with work ticket, useful web pages on how to do stuff, repositories etc all in one go.

pigamus

That looks interesting. It says there's a free version for individuals, I might have a go with it.

nugget

I 'have' bookmarks but very rarely use them. I usually just type the first letter of the website I want to go to into the address bar and let auto-complete do the rest. If I'm researching something for a work project, I might bookmark some pages I'll want to come back to later into a dedicated folder, but that's the only time I ever use them.

pigamus

I've got loads. According to Raindrop I've got 435! God knows what I need to them all for! I'm sure somebody can beat that.

Gurke and Hare

If you go to chrome://sync-internals/ (assuming that's what you're using) it tells you how many you have. I have 1251 apparently. Christ.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 29, 2021, 11:51:02 PM
If you go to chrome://sync-internals/ (assuming that's what you're using) it tells you how many you have

Thanks, bookmarked.

pigamus

Just further to this, I've discovered that Raindrop has a 'start from scratch' feature, so that you can export from any browser, click start from scratch, and that way your bookmarks will always be up to date. It's useful having cloud-based bookmark backup if you ever use a different browser or computer or whatever.