Author Topic: Let's talk N64 games (that weren't made by Nintendo or Rare)  (Read 1413 times)

Kelvin

• The best bits of a pantomime horse
  • Silver Member
  • With skin the colour of a freshly peeled apple
    • My Podcast (It's funny!)
Let's talk N64 games (that weren't made by Nintendo or Rare)
« on: September 30, 2021, 07:47:55 AM »
With the N64 turning 25 in America, and N64 games coming soon to the Switch Online service, I thought I'd start a thread to talk about the best, worst, and most memorable games on that console.

One rule: let's skip over the major Nintendo and Rare titles of that era. Maybe some of the more obscure ones might be interesting to bring up, but let's not have another thread about Mario 64, you know?

So, any memories from that era?

madhair60

• ほっといてほしい。
  • Golden Member
  • 死にたい
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
Re: Let's talk N64 games (that weren't made by Nintendo or Rare)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 08:14:33 AM »
Mischief Makers was a wonderful, batshit effort from Treasure. The final bosses are one of my favourite moments in the entire hobby.

Both Goemon games are brilliant but the first one has my heart.

The Castlevania games are sickeningly underrated; brilliant tranaplatations of the NES series' feel into 3D, and once again refreshingly insane.

Doom 64 is a totally unique Doom title that's only recently been properly appreciated via re-release.

Duke Nukem Zero Hour is a triffic third-person shooter from a triffic series. Duke 64 is ace too, a brilliant port with new weapons and mechanics.

Kelvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 08:29:46 AM »
Wave of nostalgia reading that.

Doom 64 was great, I loved it even then, and I'm glad it's been reappraised in recent years, like you suggest. The soundtrack in that game is unbelievably unsettling - all those screams and animals wailing just behind the walls. 

I'd completely forgotten about Zero Hour, but I remember really enjoying it at the time. There must be so many games from that era that I bought cheap, played, but haven't thought about in years.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 09:09:24 AM »
Breaking the one rule already: Will Jet Force Gemini be coming to the Switch and, if so, are they going to do something about the Jimmy Savile impersonation in the ending?

Kelvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 09:24:41 AM »
Breaking the one rule already: Will Jet Force Gemini be coming to the Switch and, if so, are they going to do something about the Jimmy Savile impersonation in the ending?

Rare are with Microsoft now, so in theory you wouldn't expect it... Except we already know Banjo Kazooie is coming to the Switch Online service at some point, so it's not inconceivable.

As for the impression, they already changed it for the re-release in Rare Replay a few years ago, I think. The scene plays without that audio, just the music. 

Here's the original:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3b1qxoHWrk&t=902s

And here's the version from Rare Replay:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezzCS6CxAU&t=1805s

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 09:38:20 AM »
Can't help you. Think i only had MarioKart, Banjo Kazooie and Zelda on the N64.

Seem to remember Goldeneye lying around but don't remember ever playing it. Wasn't it shite? I don't like FPS anyway

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 10:07:52 AM »
Turok 2, those wild weapons and gore effects, those giant levels, that 15 fps, that multiplayer mode where you turned into a monkey.

Wcw/nwo revenge was ridiculously fun, many an hour spent with my brother chasing the tag titles or clearing out massive battle royales.

amateur

• Not feeling it, tbh
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 10:11:08 AM »
Spent a lot of time playing The New Tetris after getting it for like £15. Great game.

You could make GOLDEN BLOCKS of 4 of the same shape, which got you loads more points when you cleared it. Lovely stuff.

WWF Warzone was tonnes of fun as well. Terribly game physics but fun cmmentary and multiplayer.

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 10:17:24 AM »
Turok 2

Haha, I remember I had the first one. The draw distance and fogging on that game were horrendous, but it really added something to the atmosphere and it made it a bit spooky, any minute a dinosaur could suddenly APPEAR! :D

Seem to remember Goldeneye lying around but don't remember ever playing it. Wasn't it shite? I don't like FPS anyway

No, it was good, you could creep around and shoot people in the head in the toilets and stuff, and there was one level on a train that I remember really liking. I remember the controls being "wha?" at first but they actually made sense once you got used to them.

Lungpuddle

• He won't bite
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 10:38:27 AM »
International Superstar SOCCERRRRR!

It was probably shit, but it was the only football game we had and I enjoyed it more than any Fifa game I endured over the years at friends' houses. The way the commentator says "It looks like they're changing players..." will be with my forever, maybe due to how often I changed players.

Tagentially related, but I remember a competition in Nintendo magazine along the lines of "how would you make a movie out of a nintendo game?" and it ended with the hollow potential of "who knows, maybe someday Hollywood will make YOUR idea into a movie!" So me and my brother set about making a pitch for a Turok movie which incorporated both games (there were only 2 at the time, I think) and even started writing a script. We didn't get as far as ideal actors for the parts, we were distracted by opal fruits and a curly wurly, but Chris Pratt's name didn't come up so we were better than Nintendo at casting choices. In our 30s, we were.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 10:57:43 AM »
No Mercy is somehow still the best WWE game and it's from before WWE even existed.

I assume they're gonna struggle to get third party licensed stuff onto the online service? It's a real shame as I feel like a few shitty 3D sports options would be a bit of a treat for a lot of people.

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 11:55:00 AM »
I'm struggling to remember many third-party games I had - compared to other systems, at least (which is one of the reasons that it got trounced by the Playstation, I suppose). The ones I do remember are:

Mortal Kombat 4
This doesn't seem to be one of the more well regarded titles in the series, but I remember it being a perfectly decent fighting game. Worth it for the OTT hilarity of the leg rip fatality alone. Plus it had a cheat that let you play as Goro.

Shadow Man
A sort of grimdark Zelda clone, about an undead bloke who collects "dark souls" from his vanquished enemies, in order to prevent an apocalypse that involves the sun being blotted out. Hmm...

I remember this being hyped up for seemingly months on end, by whichever Nintendo mag I read at the time. When it finally arrived, it was a bit of a disappointment. For one thing, despite the horror theme, it wasn't actually remotely scary. Even to my pretentious teenage mind, its attempts at maturity were mostly a bit embarrassing. Also, I guess it offered value for money, but it lacked much in the way of memorable set pieces or level design, so the sprawling world and runtime just became a drag (though I still played it all the way through).

It did have the odd bit I liked: While still not scary, some of the levels were fairly atmospheric, particularly the abandoned tube station and crumbling tenement building.

Two audio things stick in the memory: 1) The godawful screeching noise of the main weapon. 2) The lead character was voiced by Redd Pepper, whose voice you'll probably recognise from about a thousand advert voiceovers. Once heard, it cannot be unheard.

Resident Evil 2
Needs no introduction. It's just Resi 2, but it's on a Nintendo, somehow squished from 2 CDs onto a single cartridge. As good as it ever was and made up for the disappointment of Shadow Man.

Forsaken 64
I'm a lazy sod, so I'll just paste in my comments from the FPS thread:
Forsaken 64 really did look gobsmacking at the time. The lighting effects in particular stick in my mind - with plasma globs illuminating the area around them. It might have been old news to PC gamers, but I'd never seen anything like it in a game.

I wasn't much of a drum n bass fan, but I remember the soundtrack being pretty spiffy too. It made it feel like one of those 'cool' games I imagined the Playstation was stacked with.
It was pretty darn good fun, as I recall.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron
More flying around, but its Star Wars, so it's obviously better. Idiotic brand loyalty aside, this was good stuff, if I remember right. It did run rather slowly, but it was fun flying all the different craft (including the Naboo starfighter, that somehow remained secret until a year or so after the game was released). Plus it looked pretty spectacular for the time. All the time I spent feeling let down by last year's Star Wars Squadrons, this was the game I was thinking of.

Fifa 98
I'm not even a fan of football and I know we're supposed to hate the series, but I seem to remember having fun with this.

Seem to remember Goldeneye lying around but don't remember ever playing it. Wasn't it shite?
Huh? No![1]
 1. Whether it's any fun these days is a different matter.

Captain Z

• Die Hard or Die Tryin'
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 12:00:48 PM »
I enjoyed Space Station Silicon Valley, in which you had to take control of the bodies of different cartoonish animal/robot hybrids to complete the different challenges in each level. Not a serious game by any means, Wikipedia mentions its distinctly British sense of humour which I don't remember any particular examples of, but rings a bell.

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 12:11:22 PM »
I remember loving Rayman 2: The Great Escape

Only, when I bought it, I didn't realise you needed a memory card to save. So I spent an entire Sunday from 9am playing the whole game in one go -- only to get a Game Over on one of the last levels and losing all my progress.

It's a feeling I've genuinely never quite been able to shake from Sundays since. That dark gloomy feeling of having fun through a sense of obligation of trying to make the most of free time, only to feel unsatisfied and like the time was wasted anyway.

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 12:12:19 PM »
How could I forget Body Harvest? Grand Theft Auto meets Earth Defence Force! GTAEDF!! With time travel!!! What's not to like?[1] All time top of my wishlist for a sequel or remake.
 1. Other than the piss poor graphics.

Johnny Textface

• Currently batting for Trevor
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2021, 10:41:05 PM »
When you think about N64 graphics you think of this blocky, dirty, blurry mess don’t you? Certainly a unique console and obviously a logical progression from the SNES.
I had Extreme-G back in the day and I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2021, 11:11:06 PM »
Wetrix, puzzle game. Get's lumped in as a Tetris clone, but it's far more unique and challenging then that, I'd say.

The aim is to create lakes on a polygonal plane of land. The blocks that fall onto this flat surface represent different elements. Land, to build walls. Bubbles, for water etc. You have to do all this without letting the water spill out too much, or letting the land get too heavy, or you'll set an earthquake off. Sometimes it'll be a cunt and drop bombs that create holes in the terrain, letting the water leak out.

Very addictive and replayable, as the best puzzle games should be.

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2021, 12:07:46 AM »
Rayman 2 was indeed a lovely game, difficulty pitched quite well so it was challenging but not infuriating, and it looked lovely. I was annoyed N64 Magazine (future pub) shitted on it just for being French.

wasted hours on Vigilante 8 cunting a flying saucer into shit. whoop whoop!

I suppose also Wipeout 64 and Star Wars Episode One Race I had and wasted my life on

man. there really weren't many good third party games were there. is no one going to speak up for Buck Bumble, Iggy's Recking Ballz, Crusi'n USA, etc

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2021, 12:11:27 AM »
Nintendo really shot themselves in the foot by sticking to cartridges, and burning there bridges with Square and Sony. It's why there's only a handful of third party games for the console, and why they got there arse kicked by the PS1, sales wise.

Kelvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2021, 12:38:59 AM »
How could I forget Body Harvest? Grand Theft Auto meets Earth Defence Force! GTAEDF!! With time travel!!! What's not to like?[1] All time top of my wishlist for a sequel or remake.
 1. Other than the piss poor graphics.

Agree with this 100%, probably the game I've most wanted to see remade, even after all these years.

Crazy how ambitious it was, even compared to most modern open world games. Different time periods, loads of side quests, fun veicles, set-pieces, huge monsters, hidden guns. Really could be something special if they remade it without losing the level structure.

I also want to stick up for Shadow-Man. I agree it wasn't scary. but the game had loads of atmosphere, good exploration, and several of the cutscenes - especially the face off with the final boss - were really good, especially for the time.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 04:22:40 AM by Kelvin »

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2021, 01:10:41 AM »
I had Extreme-G back in the day and I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

I had that one! I really liked playing that.

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2021, 03:24:49 AM »
+1 for Spae Station Silicon Valley, a Vikings style puzzler with a cool Paradroid concept.
Body Harvest I found so very difficult, with lots of dead ending if you didn't do the right thing, and a guy who is as slow as balls.
Does Pokemon Stadium count as a nintendo game :P just play the minigames in it all day.
Gaunltlet Legends as well for 4 player awesomeness "I like food!"
In theory, Smash Bros is HAL Laboratory too :D
There was a version of Vigilante 8 on the N64 as well if you wanted vehicular combat that was cool at the time
As well as a version of Worms Armageddon :D:D

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2021, 08:59:02 AM »
Rayman 2 was indeed a lovely game, difficulty pitched quite well so it was challenging but not infuriating, and it looked lovely. I was annoyed N64 Magazine (future pub) shitted on it just for being French.

wasted hours on Vigilante 8 cunting a flying saucer into shit. whoop whoop!

I suppose also Wipeout 64 and Star Wars Episode One Race I had and wasted my life on

man. there really weren't many good third party games were there. is no one going to speak up for Buck Bumble, Iggy's Recking Ballz, Crusi'n USA, etc

I asked for Banjo Kazooie for Christmas and got Buck Bumble instead. My mum said "the man at the shop said this was better." Well he was a lying cunt then. Shit game that ruined Christmas and I won't hear any more of this revisionism.

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2021, 09:15:46 AM »
I'll happily speak up for Buck Bumble, one of the very few good games on the terrible N64. Good controls and graphics, varied missions and weapons, shooting wasps out of the sky and they make a sound like a plane going down. A good game

I asked for Banjo Kazooie for Christmas and got Buck Bumble instead. My mum said "the man at the shop said this was better."
That man was me

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2021, 09:39:33 AM »
I liked buck bumble, but the banjo games were fab.
One of the banjo games and the first fantomas album are inextricably linked in my mind, I used to play that while listening to it on a loop.
I have vague memories of listening to joanna newsom, crying, trying to blink away tears so I could see all the eejits I was meant to be shooting in cod :D That's quite the juxtaposition.
Every time I listen to frank skinner I remember past spelunky adventures.
Might be a thread in this, but I'm assuming it's a bit like telling people your dreams. No one else really cares.

amateur

• Not feeling it, tbh
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2021, 09:43:34 AM »
Blast Corps!

Blast Corps was good. Apart from Backlash, which was a bad vehicle. But the game was good and I would like to play it again.

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2021, 09:44:12 AM »
I'll happily speak up for Buck Bumble, one of the very few good games on the terrible N64. Good controls and graphics, varied missions and weapons, shooting wasps out of the sky and they make a sound like a plane going down. A good game
That man was me

The controls are slow and clunky, he feels way too heavy for what should be the fun of being a bee zipping around a garden. The bee Mario suit in Mario Galaxy felt better to control and that stunk. The music and level design is bland. The game play is boring. It's such a nothingy, forgettable game, the definition of a game you might rent once and then never think about again.

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2021, 09:49:46 AM »
Yeah, you might be right. I remember having fun with it and it not being as bad as I thought it was going to be. You're probably right. Nostalgia's one hell of a drug.

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2021, 09:52:35 AM »
It should have been an on rails shooter like Star Fox, because it's a chore navigating around the sandbox style levels looking for what you have to do. The sand box sections in Star Fox 64 were weak too and that was an actual good game with good controls.

Sonny_Jim

• Kirkladn has a small penis
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2021, 10:00:53 AM »
Blast Corps!

Used to love driving the train and making 'toot toot' noises. 

Me and my mate spent hours trying to find bugs in Top Gear Rally, which was a pretty meh game but the glitches made me laugh:

https://youtu.be/zDWl_R3fDWA?t=189

Tags: