Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:11:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Commentaries

Started by bgmnts, September 30, 2021, 08:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Finished this a few days ago. The Gallic and Civil War.

A genuinely engaging read, for what is essentially a millenia old diary. How is that possible?

Johnny Foreigner

De Bello Gallico conjures up memories of my first year in Latin class, where we diligently had to analyse the grammar of each and every word in extracts from Julius Caesar. It makes sense from a didactic viewpoint, since Caesar usually wrote very straightforward, clear Latin without any frills. I have never read the book you mention in its entirety, but I have read Sallust's account of the Catiline Conspiracy of my own accord.

It is perfectly possible for a diary from long ago to be an engaging read. In his own way, Samuel Pepys is quite fascinating an' all.

timebug

I was given a copy of the single volume 'Concise Pepys' once and told I would find it interesting. I doubted it,and expected to fail to read it. In the event, I found it a really engrossing book, and later I sought out the individual volumes of the 'full' diary and loved reading them all!