Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:25:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shaving

Started by eagle_bearer, October 01, 2021, 01:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 01, 2021, 04:22:37 PM
Man said he was unemployed, so probably had his hands down the front of his tracksuit bottoms 90% of the time anyway.

I don't need to be unemployed for that pal, working from home for ever now.

Chedney Honks

Shave every day with a razor. Moisturise every day. Cologne every day.

Catalogue of ills

I have been shaving with a double edged safety razor, shaving cream, soap and brush for years as a way of using less plastic. It's also very cheap in the long run. You have to take your time as opposed to using a Mach 5 or however many blades they're up to now or it gets a bit halal, but it can be quite therapeutic. I do use a plastic disposable for my balls and perineum though, not taking any chances there.

Flatulent Fox

It's a good lark,the old shaving business.
Got a straight razer kit as a gift from my Mumsie a few years ago and it got me into wet shaving.Really recommend finding the time to get super hot water to shave in then splashing cold water over yourself ( Your face not your whole body - always read the instructions when noone is looking ! ) so there is no irritation to the skin.
Best shaving foam for me isn't a foam but is in fact this stuff :

I like the way the lad on the wrapper is looking like he's not going to shave off his white beard.Not had many cuts using this and you can apply it like a crayon.
Pro tip is to use an electric shaver for the awkward areas or trimming off longer hairs before a wet shave.

Fun fact : Don't use Jif if you have run out of shaving cream/soap as it attracts wasps.

Sebastian Cobb

Jif the lemon juice or Jif the bath cleaner? I can't say either seem appealing.

Rizla

wasps the insects or wasps the americans?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Used to go clean-shaven but now I tend to use one of those leccy shaver things because Ms Angrew says I look 10 years old with my face all bald, and if I can avoid her feeling like a nonce then that's obviously a plus.
Annoyingly the hair on my lip grows thicker than the stuff on my chin, so I have to do each of those areas with different length attachments otherwise it looks like I'm trying to grow a moustache. Even then it doesn't entirely work so I have to go at the moustache hair without any attachments, which means I have to go at it with no attachments, resulting in random patches where I've shaved too much off it.
Nobody asked about my pubes but I'm going to discuss them anyway. Don't use razors for those, just a general trim with scissors until they're all roughly the same length. It's good because it means there's no manscapery needed on the tricky bits all over the legs and everywhere else.

Flatulent Fox

Good questions.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 01, 2021, 06:50:27 PM
Jif the lemon juice or Jif the bath cleaner? I can't say either seem appealing.
Jif the (smooth) peanut butter.What could be more appealing!

Quote from: Rizla on October 01, 2021, 06:54:34 PM
wasps the insects or wasps the americans?
Both.

olliebean

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 01, 2021, 04:19:26 PM
Is that cat a Superman baddie?
Putting aside the risk of cutting yourself in such a sensitive area, is it not terribly itchy when the hairs grow back? I wouldn't want to be constantly needing to scratch my groin when I'm around other people.

Yes, and it's also quite sweaty. You'd imagine it would be less so, but I think to some extent the hairs must wick the sweat away from your skin, so you don't notice it as much.

(Basing this on a one-off ill-advised experiment with a trimmer - I wouldn't risk it with a razor - rather than a regular routine.)

Johnny Foreigner

If you don't remove them daily it gets itchy, yes. I find talcum powder is best for preventing rashes. In any case, your skin eventually gets used to it.

I fucking hate the tedium of wet shaving so I got myself a good Philips electric shaver. I say good but from my experience electric shavers are just shit at getting neck hair, it's a right fucking chore.

On the subject of facial hair styles, it appears that "Darlo muzzies" are quite popular with the youth of today. The look of a dried on chocolate milkshake on the upper lip in lieu of an actual proper moustache is more popular than just shaving the bumfluff off.

Cloud

I just use a Braun Series 9, it gets close enough that I really don't think wet shaving makes any difference.  Those double edge safety razors are the way to go when you do though, none of those silly expensive multi blade cartridges.

For the nuts and stuff, Philips Bodygroom.

Flatulent Fox

You know them king of shaves razers?
I pronounce them king of chavez.Try it yourself if you like - I don't mind.

Twit 2

I use dollarshaveclub

flotemysost

Quote from: eagle_bearer on October 01, 2021, 01:05:02 AM
What about that pesky facial fuzz? Epilation or the short, sharp shock of waxing?

Bought one of these a couple of years ago, never looked back

It's basically similar to threading (i.e. it closes a loop and yanks out the hairs) except you can do it from the safety of your home and you only pay once. And you don't have to endure an impossibly glamorous beautician calmly judging your Igor-like rasmus (as I did the last time I got my brows threaded in a salon).

Everything else, shaving foam and razors. Tempted to try laser removal one day. A friend had it done and said there was literally smoke coming out of her arse at one point, which sounds hilarious if nothing else.

I'm sure this doesn't need saying here, but I'm gonna say it anyway - there's no norm for how body/facial hair should exist on anyone and despite the above (which is just my preference) I obviously don't want to enforce the view that body/facial hair on women = bad. But at the same time

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 01, 2021, 12:35:45 PM
the modern fashion for ladies to have fully-shaven pubises is weird a f

don't assume that if someone does remove hair (from anywhere!) they're only doing it because of social pressure or fashion or whatever - maybe they just like how it looks/feels etc.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 01, 2021, 01:03:31 PM
I'm using a Harry's at the moment, mainly because the blades are cheap. Only problem is that there's not enough grip on the sides of the handle, so it has a tendency to slip in your hand when it gets wet.

One of my razors is like this, I think it's loosely based on a Cyberman

Zetetic

Quote from: flotemysost on October 02, 2021, 12:25:08 AM
don't assume that if someone does remove hair (from anywhere!) they're only doing it because of social pressure or fashion or whatever - maybe they just like how it looks/feels etc.
You can't draw a distinction between these things - fashion and social pressure work by people internalising these things. The disease ends up behind the eyes.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on October 02, 2021, 12:30:37 AM
You can't draw a distinction between these things - fashion and social pressure work by people internalising these things. The disease ends up behind the eyes.

I think a male spin on what flotes might be alluding to is, for instance, trimming a beard/moustache because it's starting to get below your lip, I don't think there's much societal pressure to maintain that, there's not *much* pressure on immaculate beards these days, but it starts to feel wrong as it curls. I don't think it's entirely social convention thing.

Johnny Foreigner

I decided I preferred being smooth all over before that became a fashionable thing. However, whilst I have always made a point of doing the opposite of what fashion dictates, now that being hairless has become relatively mainstream, I am still not reverting to looking like an ape. I just think body hair is ugly; other people, of course, can do what they like.

Zetetic

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on October 02, 2021, 10:20:36 AM
other people, of course, can do what they like.
It's called "Freedom", and it's a British value.

Johnny Foreigner

Tell me about it. I had a Wetherspoons Freedom Breakfast not long ago.

The Mollusk

I've been buzzing it using the shortest setting on the clippers for a few years but recently started getting really sensitive flaky skin at a specific couple of spots on my upper lip and chin so I've had to start using a razor and slapping moisturising balm on like a fucking melt. To be honest it's great and I really like how much younger it makes me look but I have now been ID'd three times for booze and I'm 34, it's starting to not be cute and flattering any more. I don't carry photo ID but I've managed to blag it with my natural charm crows feet and abundance of grey hair.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm 35 and haven't been ID'd once while wearing a mask, which I find slightly troubling, I must have old person eyes.

imitationleather

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 02, 2021, 12:35:20 PM
I'm 35 and haven't been ID'd once while wearing a mask, which I find slightly troubling, I must have old person eyes.

I think they may have used the excuse of 'vid and social distancing to ID people a lot less.

You can tell yourself that, anyway.

Albert Soviets

Quote from: Flatulent Fox on October 01, 2021, 06:23:42 PMWatch me lads, I'm going to play the jaborinis into buying this shit.

Mate, that arko stick HONKS. It smells like the lemon bog mints that public toilets used to use in the 80s. And it sticks out yer gaff for DAYS. Fair play it's actually really good at cushioning and latering up but it proper pen and inks. And their aftershaves are every bit as bad as well. :(

The packaging is ace though.

If I wasn't a vegan I'd go with cella every time. If you ain't a vegan and you shave, buy cella. It's cheap, it smells like cherry bakewell tart and it does the job.

mrClaypole

For work I use an electric razor every day for the 4 days I work.  I find it abit frustrating as it is hopeless at hacking all the hair from under my chin and around my neck.  When I'm not working I lazily don't shave.  This leads to one wet shave with the Gillette on the day of my first day back on shift.

Ray Travez

Quote from: flotemysost on October 02, 2021, 12:25:08 AM
Bought one of these a couple of years ago, never looked back

It's basically similar to threading (i.e. it closes a loop and yanks out the hairs) except you can do it from the safety of your home and you only pay once.

Do you find it preferable to plucking?

I had a brief go at threading; not for me. Too finicketty.

timebug

As a teenager, I once had a job where I had to shave twice a day to look 'clean' as I had black hair/whiskers and a five o clock shadow soon appeared. Since packing that job in, I have been bearded for many,many years, so it is never an issue with me!
I had to shave my gentlemans bits area in my late fifties, when in hospital for a 'proceedure'. Otherwise, shaving? No thanks!