Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:27:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Seinfeld is on Netflix UK

Started by Mobbd, October 01, 2021, 01:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 05, 2021, 02:19:29 PM
BOOKMAN: You buy a jar of Folger's Crystals, you put it in the cupboard, you forget about it. Then later on when you need it, it's there. It lasts forever. It's freeze-dried. Freeze-dried crystals.

I think of that line surprisingly often.

Mobbd

Quote from: Mobbd on October 05, 2021, 02:17:38 PM
So now I'm watching The Bubble Boy.

Something I just thought of is how The Bubble Boy might be the first occurrence of the Larry David trope about disabled people who turn out to be unpleasant or unreasonable or, importantly, ungrateful.

He uses it in Curb a lot: the blind guy who asks him with help to move house, the disabled toilet user, the lisping guy, etc.

Reading the thread and a show popped into my head where Jason Alexander guested playing himself (I think) living in a big mansion, I can remember something to do with a large safe which had money &/or cocaine in it, maybe he got money from it to buy cocaine - I think the money eventually got stolen.

It was about 10/15 years ago and could have been something like Californication or Entourage.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Icehaven

Well this is strange.
https://youtu.be/9b9N5iYB84c

"But I don't WANNA be a Ley-go!"
Puddy though!

McDead

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 05, 2021, 03:36:27 PM
Reading the thread and a show popped into my head where Jason Alexander guested playing himself (I think) living in a big mansion, I can remember something to do with a large safe which had money &/or cocaine in it, maybe he got money from it to buy cocaine - I think the money eventually got stolen.

It was about 10/15 years ago and could have been something like Californication or Entourage.

I want to say Monk, but when I looked it up it seems he played a rival detective in that. Hmm.

chveik

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 05, 2021, 03:36:27 PM

big time in hollywood, FL. good little show

McDead

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on October 04, 2021, 08:06:35 PM

In "The Robbery", when Jerry asks George how he got in, what's the deal with George's folded arm gestures?

I would also like to know the answer to this. He seems to mime something or someone falling over dead, very odd.

I also don't get really get the Choose game they play in The Apartment. I actually *do* get it - the lads on Reddit explained how it works - but I can't find any history to the game prior to this episode of Seinfeld. Did it exist beforehand? Did Larry and Jerry make it up?

gilbertharding

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: McDead on October 05, 2021, 05:16:05 PM
I also don't get really get the Choose game they play in The Apartment. I actually *do* get it - the lads on Reddit explained how it works - but I can't find any history to the game prior to this episode of Seinfeld. Did it exist beforehand? Did Larry and Jerry make it up?

It's just a variation of the 'odds or evens' game isn't it? They did something similar with marbles in Squid Game.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 05, 2021, 02:19:29 PM
BOOKMAN: You got any coffee?

JERRY: Coffee?

BOOKMAN: Yeah. Coffee.

JERRY: No, I don't drink coffee....
That's a thing: I'm pretty sure Jerry does drink coffee, so why does he say that?

That minor confusion aside, it's possibly one of my favourite scenes in a sitcom ever. Everything about Hall's performance is great, but I think maybe the best part is the dramatic pointing.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 05, 2021, 06:09:36 PM
That's a thing: I'm pretty sure Jerry does drink coffee, so why does he say that?

That minor confusion aside, it's possibly one of my favourite scenes in a sitcom ever. Everything about Hall's performance is great, but I think maybe the best part is the dramatic pointing.

Isn't there a plot where Elaine and George are bonding and she tells him that Jerry drinks a certain brand of coffee because he thinks it has no caffeine in it, when it actually does?

Quote from: chveik on October 05, 2021, 05:14:46 PM
big time in hollywood, FL. good little show

Bingo, Stephen Tobolowsky was in it - that's why I had Californication and Entourage in my head.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 05, 2021, 06:12:52 PM
Isn't there a plot where Elaine and George are bonding and she tells him that Jerry drinks a certain brand of coffee because he thinks it has no caffeine in it, when it actually does?

Morning Thunder, it's at tea.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: McDead on October 05, 2021, 05:16:05 PM
I would also like to know the answer to this. He seems to mime something or someone falling over dead, very odd.

I thought it was a I Dream of Jeannie reference.

Jerzy Bondov

Personal favourite line delivery in the whole of Seinfeld: "What? Oh I spilled some food on it."

Mobbd

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 05, 2021, 06:09:36 PM

Since I seem to watching the series through now, I'll keep 'em peeled for Jerry drinking coffee in the apartment.

We see him drinking coffee all the time in the diner but he does a stand-up bit about only "getting coffee" outside.

gmoney

Jesus Christ Jerry Stiller is so good.

Frank: I saw a bum sleeping in a Cadillac the other day

Estelle: Why would someone break into a car to take a nap?

Frank: They don't nap, they make it their hooooome. They URINATE IN THERE!!

His delivery on the last line is just incredible.

QDRPHNC

I always loved his response to learning about roosters have sex with hens and chickens... "That's perverse!"

And also his pronunciation of "croose".

Milo

Quote from: Mobbd on October 06, 2021, 01:09:17 PM
Since I seem to watching the series through now, I'll keep 'em peeled for Jerry drinking coffee in the apartment.

We see him drinking coffee all the time in the diner but he does a stand-up bit about only "getting coffee" outside.

I've had them on in the background recently and vaguely recall Kramer complaining that Jerry only has instant and Jerry responds by saying he gets his coffee on the outside.

I was watching some season 3 and he definitely asked for a "decaf" in the diner.

jobotic

Quote from: Milo on October 06, 2021, 07:52:41 PM
I've had them on in the background recently and vaguely recall Kramer complaining that Jerry only has instant and Jerry responds by saying he gets his coffee on the outside.

Yep, in one I watched a couple of days ago

Mobbd

Quote from: jobotic on October 06, 2021, 10:16:51 PM
Yep, in one I watched a couple of days ago

Continuity fuck-up then. Worth it for the Bookman tirade though.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on October 04, 2021, 05:18:21 PM
Listen joy boy, The Note, The Pen, The Library, The Parking Garage, The Tape, The Red Dot, The Pez Dispenser, The Boyfriend, The Limo... all stone cold classics. I prefer it to series 8 and 9.

THIS x 1000. Very Larry Charles-heavy season and many of the show's finest moments contained within.

Milo

Quote from: Mobbd on October 06, 2021, 10:28:48 PM
Continuity fuck-up then. Worth it for the Bookman tirade though.

I don't remember the scene exactly but could it be a way of making sure an unwelcome guest doesn't linger? I'll try to watch that one later.

Keebleman

The Cigar-Store Indian.  Had anyone here heard the phrase 'indian giver' before?  For me it was as bewildering a punch line as "Delores!"

Milo

My 'unwelcome guest' theory falls apart as it's right after Jerry is brewing a cup of tea and asks Bookman if he'd like one. The whole scene would have worked if Jerry offered him coffee and Bookman asked for tea, with a few tweaks.

Is quite an odd one with tea not being the standard thing to have in the US like it is in the UK.

Bookman puts on a brilliant hard frown right after, "you put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the new york public library fella". He's clearly a millisecond away from pissing himself laughing.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Keebleman on October 07, 2021, 06:10:53 PM
The Cigar-Store Indian.  Had anyone here heard the phrase 'indian giver' before?  For me it was as bewildering a punch line as "Delores!"
Only from Seinfeld. Is it like an Indian Summer (which I had heard of previously)?

Similarly, I had to reverse-engineer 'mono', being what Americans call glandular fever.

Milo

It's giving a gift then trying to get it back. Certainly some old racist thing, pretty sure I reverse-engineered that via something in The Simpsons.

Keebleman

Wikipedia has a definition of it, but it's just that I had never heard it before, or since.

JamesTC

Might have been the notes about nothing text track on the DVDs that meant I understood what "Indian giver" was.