Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:56:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Seinfeld is on Netflix UK

Started by Mobbd, October 01, 2021, 01:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitamin C

QuoteJERRY: All right . . . I once had a hair in my Farina and I freaked out.

ELAINE: You found a hair in your Farina?

JERRY: Yeah,

ELAINE: What happened?

JERRY: I started screaming, "There's a hair in my farina. There's a hair in my farina." Then I ran out of the house and I was running and running. I was little but I could run very fast. I just kept running and they found me like three hours later collapsed at a construction site.

From The Dinner Party, S5E13. Had no idea what Farina was. It's some kind of porridge.

buttgammon

While we're doing things we don't get, what's kosha (possibly incorrect spelling)? It's clearly some sort of food from the context but other than knowing it's something George's parents eat, I've never heard of it elsewhere.

imitationleather

Quote from: buttgammon on October 07, 2021, 07:02:57 PM
While we're doing things we don't get, what's kosha (possibly incorrect spelling)? It's clearly some sort of food from the context but other than knowing it's something George's parents eat, I've never heard of it elsewhere.

You mean kosher? It's food that complies with the dietary rules of Judaism.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Poobum

There's kasha which is a type of porridge.

buttgammon

Quote from: Poobum on October 07, 2021, 07:08:18 PM
There's kasha which is a type of porridge.

Yes, that's what I mean! Thanks. How many different porridge-type things do they have in America?

I wrote a tiny bit about Kosher and shellfish in something serious recently and it was a struggle not to talk about The Hamptons (also Larry David's out of shot voice saying "I ordered the Kosher meal" in a scene on a plane in another episode).

Quote from: imitationleather on October 07, 2021, 07:04:48 PM
You mean kosher? It's food that complies with the dietary rules of Judaism.

I was disappointed to find out that kosher salt is simply plain kitchen/rock salt, seems like a wasted opportunity.

buttgammon

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 07, 2021, 07:51:37 PM
I was disappointed to find out that kosher salt is simply plain kitchen/rock salt, seems like a wasted opportunity.

I used to think it was blessed by a rabbi or something.

sutin

This is simply a perfect minute and a half of situation comedy...

https://youtu.be/RhKQfrE1KTE

Mobbd

My partner and I always wondered why the Costanzas' house should smell of kosher. Kosher food doesn't have a particular smell and so far as we know the Costanzas aren't Jewish.

Kasha might actually be the mystery solved after decades of uncertainty. I love this forum.

EDIT. Just checked the script. Beautiful.

JERRY: How would you describe the smell in this house?
ELAINE: (sniffing) Dandruff?
JERRY: Yeah, that's part of it. (sniffs) Kasha?
ELAINE: There's some kasha.
JERRY: Yeah. Dandruff, kasha, mothballs, cheap carpeting. It's pot pourri, really.

Cuellar

For some reason the line "The bubble boy tried to kill me" really made me laugh just now.

neveragain

I've never encountered so much dandruff that it would smell. Must be a helluva lot.

Icehaven

Quote from: Keebleman on October 07, 2021, 06:10:53 PM
The Cigar-Store Indian.  Had anyone here heard the phrase 'indian giver' before?  For me it was as bewildering a punch line as "Delores!"

I knew what it meant before seeing it on Seinfeld but I don't think I've ever heard anyone actually say it. I probably read it in an American novel or something.
I still don't get "Delores!"

QDRPHNC

lankyguy95

That three or four minute scene in the cafe at the start of The Mango is just great, isn't it?

"You just close your eyes and hope for the best!"

The timing, the little pauses, the look of relish on Elaine's face when she tells Jerry she faked the whole time with him. Ridiculous how good it is.

QDRPHNC

Is that the one where Kramer tells Jerry that fruit like this needs to be taken out of circulation. Love how he puts Jerry's supermarket mango in his mouth and then immediately removes it because it's "no good".

I think I may be mixing two different episodes into once scene here.

Cuellar

Just seen that bit in The Shoes where the head of NBC's 15 year old daughter comes in and Jerry and George stare at her tits.

edit: I'd forgotten about Jerry's real-life young young girlfriends, of course. Hmmm.

SteveDave

Quote from: Keebleman on October 07, 2021, 06:10:53 PM
The Cigar-Store Indian.  Had anyone here heard the phrase 'indian giver' before?  For me it was as bewildering a punch line as "Delores!"

https://youtu.be/A1he-7GYku8?t=7

sutin

Icehaven

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 08, 2021, 02:28:41 PM
Clitoris.

Oh. Is the joke supposed to be that it's barely a rhyme? Maybe more so with the American pronounciation but still.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: icehaven on October 08, 2021, 04:53:05 PM
Oh. Is the joke supposed to be that it's barely a rhyme? Maybe more so with the American pronounciation but still.

No the joke is that it rhymes with clitoris the way Americans say it. It's a one layer joke.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Cuellar on October 08, 2021, 03:38:06 PM
Just seen that bit in The Shoes where the head of NBC's 15 year old daughter comes in and Jerry and George stare at her tits.

edit: I'd forgotten about Jerry's real-life young young girlfriends, of course. Hmmm.

Definite yikes moment.

I watched The Suicide yesterday and Jerry's stand-up at the end is brutal. Laying into people who attempt suicide and was way more mean-spirited than I remember. I sense I might have that feeling a few more times on rewatching the series.

Keebleman

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 08, 2021, 05:17:57 PM
No the joke is that it rhymes with clitoris the way Americans say it. It's a one layer joke.

Ah right.  It does make sense if that is how it's pronounced over there. 

But on the DVD extras I remember that they had another name/body part rhyme scripted but someone in that night's audience suggested that Delores/clitoris would be better.  Can't remember what it was now.

olliebean

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 08, 2021, 05:17:57 PM

Americans don't say it that way, though.

buttgammon

Quote from: Keebleman on October 08, 2021, 06:10:03 PM
Ah right.  It does make sense if that is how it's pronounced over there. 

But on the DVD extras I remember that they had another name/body part rhyme scripted but someone in that night's audience suggested that Delores/clitoris would be better.  Can't remember what it was now.

That's interesting - I can't think what another one could be other than maybe Regina.

Delores/clitoris is a much weaker rhyme than Bovary/ovary and Mulva/vulva, but I think they had to go for a 'stronger' sounding one as the climax to that scene, so I can see why they thought it worked well.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: olliebean on October 08, 2021, 06:16:37 PM
Americans don't say it that way, though.

Enough do. The joke exists as evidence of this, because of this. I agree that it's really weak though.

gilbertharding

In a way, it *has* to be a weak pun for the joke to work. The kids at her school used it to mock her, so she knew it, but it was impossible for anyone else to get.

olliebean

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 08, 2021, 07:37:16 PM
Enough do. The joke exists as evidence of this, because of this. I agree that it's really weak though.

But is there any evidence of an American actually saying it like that, other than in relation to that joke?

BeardFaceMan

The audience at the taping all seemed to get it, it got a big laugh so it seems a common enough pronunciation for Americans to get the joke. 

McChesney Duntz

For what it's worth, I've never heard any of my fellow Americans pronounce it that way. Though, to my surprise, it doesn't seem to come up that often. I think Regina/vagina would have been a bit better, but there, too, the name in question is pronounced "Re-GEE-nah" in this country. I dunno. It's okay, though - Jerry quizzically drawing out the name "Mulva?" is all that episode needs, really.