Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:30:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Seinfeld is on Netflix UK

Started by Mobbd, October 01, 2021, 01:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Cuellar on October 14, 2021, 09:46:45 PM
Freaking out about the fact that in the credits for the Russian dub that come up at the end of an episode it seems that ONE guy is playing pretty much every part.

That happens a lot. I remember downloading a copy of the Smack The Pony film (Gladiatoress?) and all the voices were dubbed by the same Russian woman, even the male voices. Which was more entertaining than the actual film, as I recall.

Poobum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni400X3vJMo

The way Kramer looks at the printer, so good at just doing stupid faces.

colacentral

I think the most underrated line of the show is when Kramer hears Newman singing "How Much is That Doggy in the Window?" and asks, "Is that a new song?"

I use that line in real life, any time I hear some obviously old corny novelty song.

Virgo76

I was watching this on Amazon Prime a few years ago but am sure one of the early series was missing.  Any idea which series it was?

RHX

Quote from: Virgo76 on October 16, 2021, 08:10:21 PM
I was watching this on Amazon Prime a few years ago but am sure one of the early series was missing.  Any idea which series it was?

It was an anomaly - Series 1 and 2 are quite short in comparison to the rest, so they lumped them all in as Series 1 and skipped straight to numbering the rest as 3.

Virgo76

Ah. Thanks.  It was confusing the hell out of me.
Started watching Season 2 on Netflix but realised I'd already seen it when George started doing his Master of the House stuff.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Cuellar on October 14, 2021, 09:46:45 PM
Freaking out about the fact that in the credits for the Russian dub that come up at the end of an episode it seems that ONE guy is playing pretty much every part.

A lot of Eastern European broadcasts of foreign shows have "lektors" as opposed to being dubbed. That's why only one person is credited. They aren't acting out the roles, putting on voices etc etc just reading out the dialogue as translated.

Icehaven

Quote from: monkfromhavana on October 19, 2021, 07:17:56 PM
A lot of Eastern European broadcasts of foreign shows have "lektors" as opposed to being dubbed. That's why only one person is credited. They aren't acting out the roles, putting on voices etc etc just reading out the dialogue as translated.

Isn't that crap?

Twit 2

monkfromhavana

Quote from: icehaven on October 19, 2021, 07:23:20 PM
Isn't that crap?

Yes, very, but they seem to like it. It doesn't cut out all of the original dialogue, which is just about audible in the program, I think so you can still hear whatever emotion the character is meant to be emoting. So basically you have to listen out for the natural panicky tones of the character being chased by a nutter with a chainsaw whilst the dialogue is read by a monotone man in his 50s.

Thinking about it, back in the day it was probably the cheapest way to do it, as opposed to hiring out however many actors you need to dub all the lines.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ You're remembering your days of watching Polish TV, right?

olliebean

Not the same thing, but this mention of the original dialogue being audible in the background is giving me memories of Storybook International.

monkfromhavana

Milo

Oh, man. Haven't laughed as much in years as I just did at the Peterman catalogue piece of "The Rogue's Wallet" at the end of The Secret Code.

Spoiler alert
'His name was Costanza. He killed my mother.'
[close]

Cuellar

"Make love to that wall, pervert"

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Milo on October 25, 2021, 07:14:19 PM
Oh, man. Haven't laughed as much in years as I just did at the Peterman catalogue piece of "The Rogue's Wallet" at the end of The Secret Code.

Spoiler alert
'His name was Costanza. He killed my mother.'
[close]

Peterman's "Poor old Walt has a polyp in the duodenum" is possibly the best line reading in sitcom history.

Milo

The number of extras wandering around in The Parking Garage (s3e6) is bonkers, especially given the extremely low parking space density.

Twilkes

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 08, 2021, 07:37:16 PMEnough do. The joke exists as evidence of this, because of this. I agree that it's really weak though.

I remember the Inside Look saying that the original punchline was going to be Cloris, but the warmup guy asked the audience what they thought the woman's name was and someone said Delores, so they stole it.

My favourite clip never made it into the actual show, not this take anyway, Michael Richards is an amazing physical clown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCiqR6grJzY#t=1m18s

Other memories are the random bitpart actors who totally stepped up, like the Latino guy at the parking lot who says 'That's what I'd like to know about it'; Peterman's deleted story about love; and how some of the funniest bits were tell-don't-show, such as the whale/golf ball story and the Kramer driving the bus story.

Possibly the most well-crafted sitcom scripts ever, with Arrested Development a close second, and the reason I can't watch Curb Your Enthusiasm which feels like watching rehearsals for a sitcom they forgot to write, which essentially it is.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Twilkes on February 24, 2022, 12:06:13 PMPossibly the most well-crafted sitcom scripts ever, with Arrested Development a close second, and the reason I can't watch Curb Your Enthusiasm which feels like watching rehearsals for a sitcom they forgot to write, which essentially it is.

I don't think that's really fair on Curb. It may not use traditionally scripted dialogue but it's still a very tightly-structured show where each scene has been plotted out beat-by-beat in detail. Larry David has actually said in interviews that writing a 10-page story outline for a Curb episode is something he's consistently found more difficult and time-consuming than writing a 30-page Seinfeld script (at least this is what he said when he was still writing the show solo - since season 6 of Curb he's brought in a few co-writers who have presumably lessened his load a bit). I mean it's fair enough to prefer the tighter scripted dialogue of other shows to Curb's looser devised improv, but I'd certainly say it belongs firmly in the "well-crafted sitcoms" conversation. The early seasons especially have episodes that are as intricately constructed as peak Fawlty Towers as far as I'm concerned.

Twilkes

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on February 24, 2022, 12:29:38 PMI don't think that's really fair on Curb. It may not use traditionally scripted dialogue but it's still a very tightly-structured show where each scene is plotted out beat-by-beat. Larry David has actually said in interviews that writing a 10-page story outline for a Curb episode is something he's consistently found more difficult and time-consuming than writing a 30-page Seinfeld script (at least this is what he said when he was still writing the show solo - since season 6 of Curb he's brought in a few co-writers who have presumably lessened his load a bit). I mean it's fair enough to prefer the tighter scripted dialogue of other shows to Curb's looser devised improv, but I'd certainly say it belongs firmly in the "well-crafted sitcoms" conversation. The early seasons especially have episodes that are as intricately constructed as peak Fawlty Towers as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah I get that people like it, and it wouldn't be successful if it wasn't quality, but the only episode I've enjoyed was the pilot, which is a different beast entirely. Also enjoyed Larry David's standup segments in that, although I realise they may be mercifully short.

olliebean

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on February 24, 2022, 12:29:38 PMI don't think that's really fair on Curb. It may not use traditionally scripted dialogue but it's still a very tightly-structured show where each scene has been plotted out beat-by-beat in detail.

I think there've been some scenes that have suffered from being so tightly structured, where the free flow of the improvised dialogue has been hampered by the actors steering it a little too straightly towards the beats that they already know are coming.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: olliebean on February 24, 2022, 02:02:31 PMI think there've been some scenes that have suffered from being so tightly structured, where the free flow of the improvised dialogue has been hampered by the actors steering it a little too straightly towards the beats that they already know are coming.

Agree with this. Also think the improvisational nature means the actors tend to hammer home plot points more than they really need to. Curb is fine, but I find it very clunky for the most part.

El Unicornio, mang

The Feinberg stuff got me curious to see if Seinfeld got a 4:3 HD release yet, and happy to find that it did. The versions on Google Play are in 4:3 HD, also "available" elsewhere...

buttgammon

Bollocks

buttgammon

buttgammon