Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,354
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:27:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Coolest" bands to appear in most naff movies?

Started by dead-ced-dead, October 01, 2021, 02:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

This may be better for Oscillation, but it straddles movies and music, so I thought it would be appropriate for either.

I'm watching What Happens in Vegas, a dumb romcom with Cameron Diaz, and an Eels song popped up. It occurred to me how many bad movies Eels songs show up in.

Cool is in inverted commas because this is all subjective. Just ones where the kinds of fans of the former seem to be contradictory with the fans of the latter.

Neomod

Stereolab popping up in that terrible Karen Gillan fillum.

Egyptian Feast

Ween make an appearance in the apparently awful SNL spin-off It's Pat. I never managed to see it, but according to them "It sucked, but we were good".

greenman

I'd guess the Clash probably pretty high up, used well in Grosse Pointe Blank but then lots of bad blokish refferences since like that Guy Ritchie Rollaballer or whatever.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: greenman on October 01, 2021, 03:49:18 PM
I'd guess the Clash probably pretty high up, used well in Grosse Pointe Blank but then lots of bad blokish refferences since like that Guy Ritchie Rollaballer or whatever.

Guy Ritchie sure knows how to soundtrack his movies. It's a shame then that Rock n' Rolla and Revolver, and parts of Snatch are so rubbish.

I quite like Lock Stock though.

sutin

Sparks having an actual cameo in Rollercoaster.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Guns 'N' Roses* made a cameo appearance in 1988's shonky Dirty Harry sequel The Dead Pool, oddly enough.

*they were cool at the time, OK?

All Surrogate

Digital Underground appeared in 'Nothing But Trouble'. Apparently, this was the first cinematic appearance of Tupac Shakur; what a debut!

SweetPomPom

Bowie had a very average batting average but Spongebob is near the bottom of the barrel. Absolute Beginners, Linguini Incident..

Dusty Substance

Bowie's cameo in Yellowbeard.

Isaac Hayes in It Could Happen To You (the one where Nicolas Cage gives a million dollar tip to Bridget Fonda)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on October 01, 2021, 04:16:07 PM
I quite like Lock Stock though.

I had quite a "what the fuck is this and where can I hear more of it?" moment when I heard Castaways - Liar Liar in Lock Stock.

Rizla

The Dickies were very cool to me when they showed up in George Burns-starring 18 Again, one of the naffest of the raft of bodyswap movies that sploshed across late 80's cinema screens like a torrent of regretful boomer spunk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U4LqWKmxo0

Dr Rock

It doesn't qualify as a naff movie (imo) but great cameos from Fields Of The Nephilim's Carl McCoy, Lemmy and Iggy Pop in 1990's cyberpunk Hardware. Great use of PIL's Order Of Death in it too

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Hardware++lemmy

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 02, 2021, 07:11:06 PM
It doesn't qualify as a naff movie (imo) but great cameos from Fields Of The Nephilim's Carl McCoy, Lemmy and Iggy Pop in 1990's cyberpunk Hardware. Great use of PIL's Order Of Death in it too

Fucking LOVE that movie. Hardware was my No.1 film of all time between 1991 and 1994. It was the first "grown up" film that became my absolute fave.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Urge Overkill playing the American National Anthem in " Kingpin" ( although " Kingpin" 's a good film)

Replies From View

product placement for tiktaks in superman the movie

Gulftastic

'Burning Down The House' by Talking Heads popping up in Revenge Of The Nerds.

dissolute ocelot

Spice World?

McFly were in a terrible Lindsay Lohan film, Just My Luck. Even more bizarrely Simple Plan are in the Olsen Twins' New York Minute.

But it's hard to beat (off) Violent Femmes in Sabrina The Teenage Witch, the old TV series with Melissa Joan Hart.

studpuppet

buzby

Quote from: studpuppet on October 03, 2021, 05:55:01 PM
The Pretty Things appear in the 1969 Norman Wisdom film, What's Good For The Goose.
Under the pseudonym The Electric Banana, which they used to record library tracks for De Wolfe on the side that ended up being used by Tigon for that film (Alexander, the song used in that scene, is an absolute banger).

holyzombiejesus

Lawrence from Felt/ Denim/ G-KM was apparently an extra in Weekend at Bernie's[nb]or a film like that[/nb].

holyzombiejesus

Not sure if Cheap Trick are cool or not but they have a cameo in crappy Eddie Murphy vehicle Daddy Day Care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR4wCatQ-g8

kngen

Devo (as Dove, The Band of Love) in Pray TV, a prescient (although not that great) satire about Christian evangelical TV channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Y9xdWD6gI

Not a movie, but it's got to be worth a mention, The Seeds doing Pushing Too Hard on long-forgotten 60s US sitcom The Mothers-in-Law, more than playing up to their roles as 'weird music that the kids like these days'. Probably blew a few minds of the kids otherwise forced to sit through this with their families that evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQWVHvjdfZw

JesusAndYourBush

I don't know if Pulp are cool or if Harry Potter is naff, but the song Pulp sang in Goblet of Fire had some of the crappest naffest lyrics ever.

phantom_power

Ian Brown is in one as well but he is not in the slightest bit cool

mothman

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 02, 2021, 07:11:06 PM

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 02, 2021, 07:49:48 PM
Fucking LOVE that movie. Hardware was my No.1 film of all time between 1991 and 1994. It was the first "grown up" film that became my absolute fave.

I have the soundtrack album! And became a huge Richard Stanley fan. Until the Unpleasantness.

sutin

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 04, 2021, 07:40:05 PM
I don't know if Pulp are cool or if Harry Potter is naff, but the song Pulp sang in Goblet of Fire had some of the crappest naffest lyrics ever.

That's Jarvis solo, Pulp split up a few years earlier.

Povidone

Quote from: greenman on October 01, 2021, 03:49:18 PM

Of course there's Strummer's relatively substantial role in Alex Cox's Straight to Hell. Not exactly naff but not a great film either.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Povidone on October 05, 2021, 12:33:48 PM
Of course there's Strummer's relatively substantial role in Alex Cox's Straight to Hell. Not exactly naff but not a great film either.
And some / most / all of the Pogues. I rather like Straight To Hell, but it's not something I could rewatch a lot.