Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:56:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What the fuck are the young people doing with their hair nowadays?

Started by Nearly Annually, March 01, 2004, 12:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nearly Annually

Inspired by this:

The Getaways, as plugged by TraceyQ on her radio show, yesterday. Just stare back at them for a moment. There. At least two and a half fine looking young men reduced to foppy twats by our modern times. I like the way the best looking one (bass?) has the silliest Small Faces do. And the usual short straw for the drummer of course, both in terms of hair and photographic direction. We know he's the drummer, right?

I'm so glad I'm middle-aged and I don't have to do this Alex Parks meets the Royal Guards thing. Tell me this isn't the most ridiculous look since the Beatles. At least theirs didn't demand that they get up with the milkman in order to prepare, girlishly, for each new day of going round like a nob. If you married one of these, you'd have to demand a second basin and mirror in the bathroom.

What I'd like to know is, how many of you young fashionistas have succumbed to one of these newfangled hairdos?

Bald jibes - please queue up by the side door.

hoverdonkey

Blimey they're great. The third one along has got two hairstyles, or someone has dropped a rat on his head. My hair's the same as it ever was because it's so straight and thick. Ain't nothing that can be done with than leave it as an acceptable mess.

My borther - 10 years my junior - had to have a Hitler haircut for two months for a play he was appearing in. Not good when you are 18 and hitting the clubs. Very funny though, although he now does silly stuff with it every day.

Nearly Annually

sproggy

The one on the end looks like a fucking Cone-head, and by his expression, I think he's slowly realising just how much regret really hurts.

I can't see the modern Yoof falling for this, they just look too stupid.

Gazeuse

You said it...Small Faces.

This isn't a new hairstyle...Even I was too young to have one of these first time round.

I could still have one now though...'Cos I've got hair!!!

Timmay

While I never had anything like one of those styles, I did used to be one of these guys who'd spend a while doing their hair in the morning. I even managed to develop a new 6th sense, a proximity sensor for my bonce if you will - bit like the US Army's Star Wars program.

Something could be behind me, above me, or in front of me with my eyes closed, and if it came within 6 inches of me or was on an impact trajectory, my arms would mobilise to combat and take down the threat. Through increased laziness and age, it's lucky if it even gets a wash everyday now though. Ironic thing is, it still looks exactly the same.

Uncle_Z

It was ever the way...

In my yoof (durin' the wuwa) there was a constant stream of mushroom headed Charlatan-alikes, followed in time by Gallagherists.  There was one muppet in particular who went for the full gobby Gallagher approach to life - including acting hard when he clearly was not.  I took it upon myself to give him a stern talking to so shouted "Oi, Oasis man".  His response was a mock-accented "Yeah that's me.  See, they all know me.  I'm Oasis man I am."  His mood was flattened by the follow up "Why don't you stop playing dress-ups and get your own fucking identity?" (moderate laughter from the ladies he was trying to procure).  Following week some young gubbins came up to me and said "I just wanted to thank you.  I've thought about it and I was being a right twat" [blank look from Z] "I'm Oasis man by the way".

Almost brought a tear to my eye, so I bought him a pint.

Back to Gallagherism the following week.  Cunt.

Sherringford Hovis

Used to dye me barnet black and back-comb it in a Robert Smith-style.

Made me look like a twat, but was very popular with the foxy gothette chicks though.

It's the business of youth to be idiots - they have an excuse, whereas people who have lived a bit longer don't.
Imagine reminiscing about the mad times you had before age and wearisome responsibilities took their toll AND HAVING NOTHING TO LAUGH AT - that's worse than not hating your parents at some point during teenagerdom, that is.

I'm eagerly waiting for the moustache and biiiig sidies to come back - wasn't facial topiary big around 1975?

Nearly Annually

Quote from: "Gazeuse"I could still have one now though...'Cos I've got hair!!!
Side door I said. Side door. Cuh.

Quote from: "Uncle_Z"Almost brought a tear to my eye, so I bought him a pint.
Cheers, I'll have a Guinness. < remembers new monicker > Doh!

Come on yoof, admit it. Even my local barman's got the lop-sided crest thing, and Cornwall's normally a good 15 years behind. Actually, come to think of it, he sets it off nattily with sideburns, by way of homage to his roots. Haha, roots.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Nearly Annually"
Quote from: "Gazeuse"I could still have one now though...'Cos I've got hair!!!
Side door I said. Side door. Cuh.

hehe

Morrisfan82

But what about women who do that bent 80's thing with the lumpy-bit-of-fringiness bulged-up on top of their heads?

For that matter, the WHOLE 80's thing. Women wear SHIT boots at the moment. I'm talking really MEGA-shit shapeless orange sheepskin things that make them look like they've never bothered to look down since they bought em, because Wayne Hemingway or some other cunt told them how achingly stylish they are right now.

And those crappy shapeless tops with some huge garish design on the front. On women who, five years ago (less, in fact) were very busy walking around going "Christ, the 80's really were the decade taste forgot eh? Remember those crappy shapeless tops we used to wear with the shit designs on the front? What WERE we thinking eh?!". And now they've fallen for it all over again. IT JUST LOOKS BAD. PLEASE STOP BELIEVING THINGS YOU SEE IN STYLE MAGAZINES. YOU WILL REGRET IT AGAIN.

And don't even get me STARTED on frickin turn-ups. Or kitten heels. Gahhhh.

Bilko

Quote from: "de selby"2 words - Flock of Seagulls

Thats 3 words

Frinky

Quote from: "Muteki"Or kitten heels. Gahhhh.

Whats wrong with them?

Nearly Annually

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"
Quote from: "de selby"2 words - Flock of Seagulls
Thats 3 words
Lumme.

(That's the bloke out of Motorhead, Peter.)

Hmm, perhaps it's more Flock of Crows.

5 Knuckle Shuffle

If I had straighter hair, I would have that style. I don't mind/ can't help liking most things that' are mainstream fashion, but I don't mind admitting it.
I feel though that if I was eighteen today (the age that you think you mean everything to the world, when in reality you're just a spotty little shit with a chip on your shoulder), I would probably laugh at those hairstyles and go back to my grade two sids and tiny little Asley, "I SAY ASHLEY!" gelled fringe.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Frinky"
Quote from: "Muteki"Or kitten heels. Gahhhh.
Whats wrong with them?

They're purported to be brilliant, yet never appear to look anything more than embarassing.

(I'm absolutely no ambassador of style myself btw, quite the opposite in fact, but it's just this widespread 80's retro thing irritates me, I mean, it REALLY looks bad doesn't it... doesn't it?)

Frinky

Quote from: "Muteki"...but it's just this widespread 80's retro thing irritates me, I mean, it REALLY looks bad doesn't it... doesn't it?)

Oh, that type... yeah, they're stupid and ugly. I thought you were reffering to the ones that aren't part of this dangerously dodgy 80's revival. Cos, um, they're nice step away from the keyboard Frink, you could never explain yourself out of this...  Damn this 80's revival, pushing DeLorean prices too high and making Ghostbusters a cliche to like. Damn it to hell!

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: "5 Knuckle Shuffle"a spotty little shit with a chip on your shoulder.

That chip is the one thing from adolescence that should never be grown out of. Treasure it - it's all that stands between you and assimilation.

Nearly Annually

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "Sherringford Hovis"
Quote from: "5 Knuckle Shuffle"a spotty little shit with a chip on your shoulder.

That chip is the one thing from adolescence that should never be grown out of. Treasure it - it's all that stands between you and assimilation.

On the contrary - I believe that that chip on your shoulder hinders and biases your understanding and outlook on life. I tried getting rid of mine throughout my 20s. That's why I went back to University in my 30s to actually try and learn something in life.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Nearly Annually"Now, this bloke's hair, that's more like it...
I was literally counting the minutes till you posted that flattering little number again. Notice how I was carefully covering my back earlier on in anticipation.

And the pixellation makes it look like I've got drill bits coming out of my head.

As for the red arrow: it's all lies I tell you!

Blue Jam

Just look at him on the far right- see the way his hair sticks up?

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: "5 Knuckle Shuffle"
Quote from: "Sherringford Hovis"

On the contrary - I believe that that chip on your shoulder hinders and biases your understanding and outlook on life. I tried getting rid of mine throughout my 20s. That's why I went back to University in my 30s to actually try and learn something in life.

Unless you did something purely intellectual and of not much practical use - like philosophy or Esperanto for instance - you wasted your time:  there's no mind-expansion in education, you're just another drone furthering their employability, that's all.

Anger, bias and differing outlooks are what makes us individuals: most people have their passion and fury tainted and diluted by the time they're 30. Where would rock-n-roll be without the arrogance of innocence and cruelty of youth?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Nearly Annually"
How *anybody* could hate you with eyes as gorgeous as that I don't know.

Nearly Annually

I think 5KS is absolutely right about chips and Mr Hovis is partially right about university. For what it's worth. Which isn't much.

Quote from: "Blue Jam"Just look at him on the far right- see the way his hair sticks up?
To me it looks like it's about to do this...

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"How *anybody* could hate you with eyes as gorgeous as that I don't know.
Ooh, sweetie. Windows to the soul, you know. Least that's what I tell 'em to get in their pants.

TraceyQ

Ah, bugger, I didnt read the thread properly. I'm poorly bad and not paying attention. I apologise for my lack of sense of humour.

I am a twat.

You are all still cunts.

And anyway, I'd shag 'em.

Still Not George

They could be worse... they could have something like Liv Tyler's godawful haircut from last night.

Tracey, my dear, you mustn't take it so personally. It's not them everyone hates, just their hair. Their hair is made of keratin and dead cells and can feel no pain.

(Except during hangovers, of course)

-edit: bollocks. You quick-editing minx, you.

The Cooper Temple Clause have pretty wicked haircuts as well

Silly hairstyles aren't just restricted to the young.  Witness Justin Edinburgh

(mullet slightly obscured in this picture)

Krang