Author Topic: "Hi guys"  (Read 3998 times)

"Hi guys"
« on: October 03, 2021, 08:45:44 AM »
I love going anywhere these days and this is the greeting. It's so insincerely all-encompassing. I love going out with my 70yo mother-in-law for lunch and looking at her face when greeted with "hi guys".

Hi guys have you been here before? We're an american breakfast lounge.

No, but I do understand the concept of a menu.

This is no criticism at all of staff who are told to greet people like this. It's the bosses. It's the americanised bosses who can go to hell.

Are you doing anything after this guys? (while the receipt is printing)

Yeh, gonna do a load of acid and watch the Friends boxset.

Well have a good one guys!

Guysification of the UK

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
Re: "Hi guys"
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 08:56:30 AM »

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • They call me mista bald bastard
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 09:03:11 AM »
Pretty much anyone not employed in the public sector in Ireland outside Dublin seems to greet you with "Hi, how are you?".

Being English I feel compelled to answer but having replied a few times and asked how they are (out of politeness) I think they just say it without requiring a response, particularly in hospitality.

That said, it does really generate conversations, which is no bad thing. As soon as they heard my accent it was quickly "Where are you from?"

timebug

• Father of Serge
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 09:06:31 AM »
According to all round smartarse Stephen Fry, if you are greeted with 'How are you'? the correct response is 'How areYOU'?

And two of my best mates are horrified if the greeting 'Hi guys' is to a group including females of the species. It does not bother me, but really seems to piss them off for some reason!

SpiderChrist

• Be still, Taggart
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 09:20:47 AM »
According to all round smartarse Stephen Fry, if you are greeted with 'How are you'? the correct response is 'How areYOU'?
Nonsense. The correct response is “Mind your own fucking business”.

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 09:22:25 AM »
No one says "How do you do?" anymore, do they? Might start that. Howd'y'do?

seepage

• Undetectable in normal everyday use
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 09:28:33 AM »
No one says "How do you do?" anymore, do they? Might start that. Howd'y'do?

I say "How do you do?".

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 09:30:39 AM »

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 09:31:28 AM »
I went through a phase of doing a really sincere sounding "How are you doing?" but the one I really love trotting out is "Hello there!"

If I had a restaurant everyone would have to say "Hello there!"

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 09:32:57 AM »
Haha love it. It's like friendly but also a big STOP sign on further conversation.

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 09:34:08 AM »
I say 'Hello darling(s)!' whether they are male or female (or non-binary). People seem to like it.

thenoise

• Golden Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 09:35:00 AM »

And two of my best mates are horrified if the greeting 'Hi guys' is to a group including females of the species. It does not bother me, but really seems to piss them off for some reason!

Not that big a deal, but I do think 'guys' as a gender neutral collective noun is an odd development.
"Good morning/evening folks" is better.
I quite like my waiters to be rude to me though.
"Have you booked?"

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 09:43:28 AM »
I say, "Word up. Ow!"

Blinder Data

• Use your library
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2021, 09:46:11 AM »
My dad says "How do" to people he doesn't know, most often deployed on walks. This is my fave greeting as it solves multiple purposes, saying hello and asking how people how they are in a way that doesn't demand a response.

How do, fellow cunts

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2021, 09:51:14 AM »
Pretty much anyone not employed in the public sector in Ireland outside Dublin seems to greet you with "Hi, how are you?".

Don't worry Shoulders, they don't care and are not at all interested (almost certainly).  How're ya? is a/the standard greeting in Ireland, it's just a form of words. 

Also, Honks, why the fuck go to an American breakfast prayer if you don't like people saying this shit to you?  Make breakfast at home or fast and avoid any unpleasantness if you know what's good for you.

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2021, 09:53:56 AM »
The correct greeting is "alright?" suffixed with butt or mate or guys if plural.

So say Confucius.

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2021, 09:55:13 AM »
'Right Shag? is also acceptable, I believe, in God's Own.

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2021, 09:56:02 AM »
"What's poppin?" is my go to for this kind of thing.

Tony Tony Tony

• The Man, the Myth, the Bellend
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2021, 10:00:24 AM »
Those French have it covered with “Ca va?” to which the response is “Oui, ca va”. Literally “It goes?” and “Yes, it goes”. Requires no more interaction.

On the subject of the correct response to “How do you do” or “How are you” the proper British response should be “”Musn’t grumble” and then don’t.

SpiderChrist

• Be still, Taggart
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2021, 10:08:56 AM »
And you must never, never respond truthfully to “How are you?” if you are in any way “not OK” because people just don’t want to know.

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2021, 10:09:23 AM »
Nonsense. The correct response is “Mind your own fucking business”.

The correct response to how do you do is "Not well, not well at all mate. Thanks so much for asking. Take a seat.."

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2021, 10:10:02 AM »
Still alive then?

Barely

Alright catch ya later

icehaven

• WORLD'S BIGGEST RIP OFF: $100 PER PERSON
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2021, 10:20:05 AM »
And you must never, never respond truthfully to “How are you?” if you are in any way “not OK” because people just don’t want to know.
The correct response to how do you do is "Not well, not well at all mate. Thanks so much for asking. Take a seat.."

But we've all met or know people who actually do this, chronic oversharers who'd give you every detail of their always grim day/week/month/even their year even if you'd greeted them with a curt "Hi" and minimal eye contact. Also they'd never ask you how you are even if you were literally on fire in front of them.

SpiderChrist

• Be still, Taggart
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2021, 10:26:24 AM »
But we've all met or know people who actually do this, chronic oversharers who'd give you every detail of their always grim day/week/month/even their year even if you'd greeted them with a curt "Hi" and minimal eye contact. Also they'd never ask you how you are even if you were literally on fire in front of them.

I think I’ve had a eureka moment.

Me? No, I’m all good thanks. Yerself?

PlanktonSideburns

• Get on the fet STAT
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2021, 10:26:37 AM »

The Mollusk

• I’m gonna have another Boost, John!
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2021, 10:27:36 AM »

Plankton beat me, motherfucker

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2021, 10:29:38 AM »
Those French have it covered with “Ca va?” to which the response is “Oui, ca va”. Literally “It goes?” and “Yes, it goes”. Requires no more interaction.

On the subject of the correct response to “How do you do” or “How are you” the proper British response should be “”Musn’t grumble” and then don’t.

People mostly don't reply.  Just shrug theatrically, light another Gauloises, straighten their beret or rattle their onions, then pedal off into the vines to pick their teeth with a flick knife.

Proactive

• I'm on the streets, I'm in the gutter
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2021, 10:30:19 AM »
I always greet strangers with "Hallough Hugh" in my best Armando Ianucci voice and if they get the reference and like it, we generally remain good friends for life.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • LastFM
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2021, 12:48:23 PM »
Hi guys! Shall I get you hombres started with some nachos for the table?

I fucking hate the modern world.

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2021, 12:50:42 PM »
Hi guys! Shall I get you hombres started with some nachos for the table?

Haha nailed it

Tags: